Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #547
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
That's just how aluminum looks after I weld on it. Lol
Old 10-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #548
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Sickening knowing the fact that was a brand new, top of the line part, build.

Even worse was I was instructed to make another pass. I was in staging when I saw the breather puff smoke so I knew I had to shut it down. Imagine if I made another pass.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #549
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Sickening knowing the fact that was a brand new, top of the line part, build.

Even worse was I was instructed to make another pass. I was in staging when I saw the breather puff smoke so I knew I had to shut it down. Imagine if I made another pass.
Obviously not top of the line if you were able to do that kind of damage. Whatever you get should be "Jamie proof".
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #550
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
Obviously not top of the line if you were able to do that kind of damage. Whatever you get should be "Jamie proof".
That damage has nothing to do with parts. It's lacking in other areas thar allowed that damage to happen.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #551
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Ouch!!!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #552
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
No, I get it. It's not something that you wanna see, especially within the timespan that it happened in, so I can only imagine your level of anger at this point.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #553
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Have you guys determined the cause for this issue? I know speculations have been out, but was it from plugs, something in the tune, not enough fuel, etc?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #554
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
That damage has nothing to do with parts. It's lacking in other areas thar allowed that damage to happen.
wrong setup will ruin any quality of part, can't blame the parts.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #555
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Make sure you check your injectors
Old 10-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #556
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Race car. Shit breaks.

Good luck getting it all back together, Jamie. I feel for ya and I'll be watching along with everyone else.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #557
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Race car. Shit breaks.

Good luck getting it all back together, Jamie. I feel for ya and I'll be watching along with everyone else.
sooo true. sucks that its happened more than once in a short period but in all honesty thats F&$K all for damage for a race car. Start playing in the 2000+ HP range then you will see real damage and in a hurry!! On our Pro 5.0 car if sh!t went bad it went bad FAST. Like try total engine melt down on a 1/2 track pass. And we ran the VERY best parts available. Sonny Bryant Cranks, GRP Rods, JE Pistons with skirt and top coatings, $2000 Jessel roller lifters, 1/2-9/16 push rods. You can't buy better than those parts and yet stuff still happens!!! Wait till the day comes when your running 50 pounds of boost and your cracking cylinder heads in a few passes. The more power u make the more problems you find. If you want a turn key race car that never gets hurt and runs a whole season without damaging anything stay under 1500HP. We use to get 40-50 passes from our car when we ran 6.70-6.80's Making around 2000HP. Take it apart for refreshen and it would be mint. Soon as we started pushing for 6.50's and 6.60's we started pounding out rods, walking main caps, torching heads and blocks and the list goes on.

Warren Johnson once said, racing isn't about cubic inches, its about cubic dollars!!!

This won't be the last time you burn your motor down. At your power level it really shouldn't happen very often but it does happen....
Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #558
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
No, I get it. It's not something that you wanna see, especially within the timespan that it happened in, so I can only imagine your level of anger at this point.

I'm not really angry. Honestly I never was. Like I've been saying we were racing the car so no matter who or what caused the problem we are ultimately responsible. I'm just thankful that Slowhawk made room in their busy schedule to get it fixed.

As for what's damaged.....Number 8 is wasted and number 6 and 4 show signs of major detonation and look like they are 100K mile pistons. They have 600 break in miles. That head is also junk. The block is going to the machine shop tomorrow to be checked out.

The only decision that we have made so far is to junk the current cam and go with one more suited with what we are trying to do. If the pistons need to be replaced, which I'm 99.9% that a few do, we are also going to be bumping up the compression. Thankfully those are small ticket items that will be a welcome upgrade and easy to install since the block is stripped.

Turns out shoving a new piston in would have been a bad decision with all the damage that head had.

Even though what Don is doing is more costly it's the correct way to go about things and in the end it will yield better results.

Should have more info in a few days.

Don can chime in and speak the technical aspect of what happened or what he's doing if he wants. Some of that stuff is way over my head.

Oh, and we will be adding methanol to whatever setup we decide to go with.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #559
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
sooo true. sucks that its happened more than once in a short period but in all honesty thats F&$K all for damage for a race car. Start playing in the 2000+ HP range then you will see real damage and in a hurry!! On our Pro 5.0 car if sh!t went bad it went bad FAST. Like try total engine melt down on a 1/2 track pass. And we ran the VERY best parts available. Sonny Bryant Cranks, GRP Rods, JE Pistons with skirt and top coatings, $2000 Jessel roller lifters, 1/2-9/16 push rods. You can't buy better than those parts and yet stuff still happens!!! Wait till the day comes when your running 50 pounds of boost and your cracking cylinder heads in a few passes. The more power u make the more problems you find. If you want a turn key race car that never gets hurt and runs a whole season without damaging anything stay under 1500HP. We use to get 40-50 passes from our car when we ran 6.70-6.80's Making around 2000HP. Take it apart for refreshen and it would be mint. Soon as we started pushing for 6.50's and 6.60's we started pounding out rods, walking main caps, torching heads and blocks and the list goes on.

Warren Johnson once said, racing isn't about cubic inches, its about cubic dollars!!!

This won't be the last time you burn your motor down. At your power level it really shouldn't happen very often but it does happen....

All very true and I'm ok blowing an engine up every few years with the abuse my car gets my twice in two months with ZERO abuse is pretty ridiculous.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #560
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Race car. Shit breaks.

Yup. That's pretty much how the story goes. We'll get it fixed and get back to improving the times. You know all to well how it goes!

Closed Thread