Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Fastest Camaro convertible?

This came up in our local Camaro group: Who has the fastest Camaro convertible? We can't find any records listed for convertibles anywhere... Just wondering what the fastest Camaro convertibles are looking like.
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
would like to see pics of stretched and vette body camaro.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
Vanishing Point

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, LSX, 4L80E
I think one of the reasons it’s hard to get ETs for a convertible is tracks are usually not convertible friendly. The few tracks in Michigan I’ve had mine at wouldn’t let me run. I’ve got a blown LSX. They require a roll cage with that much power. That would ruin the whole point of a convertible in my opinion. That just leaves me to tear up the streets. No clock times. I’ve recently moved to Texas and heard there are tracks here that would let me run. Haven’t made the effort yet to verify that. But even if it’s true, there’s likely still a lot of drop tops nationwide not close to a track that will let them run serious power.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
I think one of the reasons it’s hard to get ETs for a convertible is tracks are usually not convertible friendly. The few tracks in Michigan I’ve had mine at wouldn’t let me run. I’ve got a blown LSX. They require a roll cage with that much power. That would ruin the whole point of a convertible in my opinion. That just leaves me to tear up the streets. No clock times. I’ve recently moved to Texas and heard there are tracks here that would let me run. Haven’t made the effort yet to verify that. But even if it’s true, there’s likely still a lot of drop tops nationwide not close to a track that will let them run serious power.

I’m 99% sure yellow belly in Grand Prairie will let you run a convertible
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
1911 1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 2SS 1LE
226.3mph, October 2016 Texas Mile
Maggie 2650 @ 18psi/ 75mm 10 rib/ Dual alky nozzles/ Roto-fab/ ARH 2" Lt's/ GT-12 cam/ ZL1 3.23 Conv./MGW/RPS triple carbon clutch/RSG tranny upgrage/Pedders Ex. XA w/ remote cans and a lot of other crap 897/8??@tires
1911 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
Vanishing Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
I’m 99% sure yellow belly in Grand Prairie will let you run a convertible
You’re not the first or second to tell me that. I’ll have to get out there. Thanks for the tip. I’m liking Texas.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #7
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
You’re not the first or second to tell me that. I’ll have to get out there. Thanks for the tip. I’m liking Texas.
NorthStar in Denton will definitely let you run. It's an outlaw track like Yellow Belly and Gene, the owner, only cares about money. Prep is usually really good. Xtreme in Ferris is the best track in DFW, but they might not let you run. I ran my best 1/8 ET at Xtreme and the time, by rules, required a 6 point. They didn't say anything about it during a TNT session. If it had been an event, they would have.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #8
Vanishing Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
NorthStar in Denton will definitely let you run. It's an outlaw track like Yellow Belly and Gene, the owner, only cares about money. Prep is usually really good. Xtreme in Ferris is the best track in DFW, but they might not let you run. I ran my best 1/8 ET at Xtreme and the time, by rules, required a 6 point. They didn't say anything about it during a TNT session. If it had been an event, they would have.
Thanks man. Believe it or not it took me more than a year to get registered here. In MI there is no certification required. I had an engine light on. Found a couple wires pinched eventually, after wiring harnesses, etc. Drove for awhile on MI plate, but long time resolving that.

So now I can get to checking out tracks and enjoying. Besides that certification shit, Texas is a bit of a mentality of years lost...and I love that. Many are not PC, cars are still cool, barbecue is big, guns are big, rules not so much. My kinda state. With most every where else becoming Gen X soy burgers, anti anything exciting and fun, just hashtags from basement dwellers, I’m definitely happy to be a Texan.

I see you’re in Vegas now. Vegas to me seems is so confused, in that it doesn’t know what it wants to be. Anything goes? No not really. Is it old school or the future? Can’t decide. But if you’re happy there, I’m happy for you. Maybe it just takes time to figure it out proper. I’m sure it’s different as a resident than a tourist.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 AM   #9
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks man. Believe it or not it took me more than a year to get registered here. In MI there is no certification required. I had an engine light on. Found a couple wires pinched eventually, after wiring harnesses, etc. Drove for awhile on MI plate, but long time resolving that.

So now I can get to checking out tracks and enjoying. Besides that certification shit, Texas is a bit of a mentality of years lost...and I love that. Many are not PC, cars are still cool, barbecue is big, guns are big, rules not so much. My kinda state. With most every where else becoming Gen X soy burgers, anti anything exciting and fun, just hashtags from basement dwellers, I’m definitely happy to be a Texan.
Glad you got it fixed. Who did your 4L80 swap? Anything Automotive in Denton is a great shop if you are still looking.

If you are a homeowner, enjoy the property taxes. That is one of the main reasons I left the state.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:29 AM   #10
Vanishing Point

Quote:
Glad you got it fixed. Who did your 4L80 swap? Anything Automotive in Denton is a great shop if you are still looking.

If you are a homeowner, enjoy the property taxes. That is one of the main reasons I left the state.
Well that was done up in MI. Capizzi Automotive. Tranny shop my tuner/builder sent me to. Sort of a subcontract job. I had it shipped up from Jake’s in Sanger, TX though.

I’ll keep them in mind for future needs. Have you had any experience or heard anything with LG in Plano? I’ve been to a big one I won’t name in McKinney many recommended. ****ing joke. Been to a couple others as well. Think LG is next up.

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 03-22-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well that was done up in MI. Capizzi Automotive. Tranny shop my tuner/builder sent me to. Sort of a subcontract job. I had it shipped up from Jake’s in Sanger, TX though.

I’ll keep them in mind for future needs. Have you had any experience or heard anything with LG in Plano? I’ve been to a big one I won’t name in McKinney many recommended. ****ing joke. Been to a couple others as well. Think LG is next up.
I have heard some serious horror stories about Jake's. Bring a car in running and then push it to the curb.

I know who you are referring to in McKinney, I wouldn't send an enemy to that shop. There is another one in Lewisville, he likes to stay with his small set of packages. I wouldn't go there either.

I have heard good things about LG. But I have never heard a bad word about Anything Automotive. When your trans needs rebuilding or refreshing, their trans guy is the best in DFW. My 4L80 shifts like a rock.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #12
Vanishing Point

Quote:
I have heard some serious horror stories about Jake's. Bring a car in running and then push it to the curb.

I know who you are referring to in McKinney, I wouldn't send an enemy to that shop. There is another one in Lewisville, he likes to stay with his small set of packages. I wouldn't go there either.

I have heard good things about LG. But I have never heard a bad word about Anything Automotive. When your trans needs rebuilding or refreshing, their trans guy is the best in DFW. My 4L80 shifts like a rock.
That’s great info. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
Weekend_Warrior

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS
the best i have got was 1/4 mile 11.88 @ 120.87 i still have more tuning my goal is 10s

new to the site and still trying to figure out how to load photos.
Weekend_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #14
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnyd View Post
This came up in our local Camaro group: Who has the fastest Camaro convertible? We can't find any records listed for convertibles anywhere... Just wondering what the fastest Camaro convertibles are looking like.
Thunder Valley Drag Strip in Bristol, Tennessee lets any vehicle run on street fights night. It’s a great track but times will change as night falls and temp change. I ran 10:04 1/4 mile in my 2011 SLP Supercharged Indy Pace Car See dyno sheet.

The vinyl strips removed and repainted to match.
Attached Images

Last edited by Smkymts; 08-27-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote