Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
DarthNacho08
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1999 camaro
Send a message via AIM to DarthNacho08
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to save the good stuff for MY2012 either, but it sure looks like that's what they're doing. To ensure the Camaro's sales dominance over the Mustang for 2011 would require something major to steal attention away from Ford's upgraded engines - something so major that the gist of it surely would have leaked out to us by now. Something like a Z28 hitting dealership floors by this summer. If something that big were in the works for MY2011, we'd surely have some blurry camera shots and a bunch more cryptic comments from Fbodfather and #3 by now, so I'm forced to assume we won't see anything more drastic than some tweaks to the interior, electronics, wheels, etc.
yea, they don't have to do anything huge for the 2011 MY, the car is still new enough that it will sell well without major updates, however, by the end of the year, we should atleast have something more solid than just rumors about updates for the camaro
DarthNacho08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Shortly after the rumor started that the 'vert would be in Detriot Fbodfather came in and denied it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
The Camaro Vert will be at the car show so we will see it there but I don't think that is it.
MMMMMMMMMMMM.....no it won't......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
That would be incredibly stupid on GM's part to let Ford have a run of the 2011 MY and not contest it.
You make it sound as if they can snap their fingers and have the cars rolling down the assembly line. The convertible was delayed due to GM's bankruptcy and a supplier issue (also a bankruptcy). And your statement completely ignores the fact that they went the entire 2010 MY without contesting the mustang convertible and have done pretty well.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #17
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
I heard from someone that works at GM that it should be available to order in 3-6 months, probably closer to the 6.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #18
Amn_Bly

Drives: IBM 2LT A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Amn_Bly
As for those saying GM is waiting to put anything "new" out in the pony car war, i believe it maybe a good thing to wait and see how the 2011 mustang runs/ sales are before they decide to "bring out the big guns". I can see why as if they had the z28 already out, ford would have one upped it in 2011, as they did with the SS. So for those saying it is a stupid idea to wait, i believe the opposite as to see how their competition, in performance, is going to sell.
Amn_Bly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 AM   #19
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
If they build it. It will come. lol

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #20
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You make it sound as if they can snap their fingers and have the cars rolling down the assembly line. The convertible was delayed due to GM's bankruptcy and a supplier issue (also a bankruptcy). And your statement completely ignores the fact that they went the entire 2010 MY without contesting the mustang convertible and have done pretty well.
My questions is: 1) Why has a production version been privately shown to dealers already as reported on C5 if it's not ready?
2) Oshawa plant line was reported to be down in January for convertible retooling as reported here on C5; are they waiting for one to actually roll off the line before showing anyone?
3) Bankruptcy has nothing to due with the fact that this car IS going to be produced (suppposedly in less than a year) Why hasn't there been a Auto show reveal yet? (Unless it's going to be delayed)

I'm guessing most of this is marketing statagy (for whatever reason) versus actually having a production version ready for showing. Just my 2 cents (again)
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
My questions is: 1) Why has a production version been privately shown to dealers already as reported on C5 if it's not ready?
2) Oshawa plant line was reported to be down in January for convertible retooling as reported here on C5; are they waiting for one to actually roll off the line before showing anyone?
3) Bankruptcy has nothing to due with the fact that this car IS going to be produced (suppposedly in less than a year) Why hasn't there been a Auto show reveal yet? (Unless it's going to be delayed)

I'm guessing most of this is marketing statagy (for whatever reason) versus actually having a production version ready for showing. Just my 2 cents (again)
The production version of the Volt was seen last summer and the car isn't out until the end of this year, and there has been plenty of work done on the car since. The assembly line for the coupe was in place for about a year before the first production car came off the line. It takes time to calibrate the robots and train the workers. Yes, bankruptcy delayed the car. When the supplier of the convertible mechanism goes bankrupt it slows things down, particularly when GM had just finished their own bankruptcy. But this was at an earlier stage, before confirmation of a production date so saying they couldn't really say how long it would be delayed. As it was, it would probably be going into production in the very near future. Now it is slated to enter production early next year (before the end of March 2011)

Delaying the convertible isn't really of any benefit to GM. There is obvious demand for the car so they will sell it as soon as they can.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #22
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Was the convertible mechanism supplier's bankruptcy caused by GM's bankruptcy, since the process with GM involved forcing a lot of suppliers to accept something less than the cash they were owed?
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
Was the convertible mechanism supplier's bankruptcy caused by GM's bankruptcy, since the process with GM involved forcing a lot of suppliers to accept something less than the cash they were owed?
I don't know. That could be it, or it could just be that very few people were buying convertibles when the auto market went to hell. Its a relatively minor German company so info is pretty scarce.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
Ford certainly watched all the reviews of the Mustang/Challenger/Camaro and did do some upgrades for 2011, most notibly the 5.0 engine bumping HP up a lot to just over 400. Stiil has that live axle??? but in the HP game, they have stepped up to the table. I'm not a Ford guy, but the 5.0 will atleast be a more serious contender now!

I too have heard that the convertible should be available to order in and around Aug/Sept 2010 and that GM has said they have NO plans at this time to begin work on the Z-28 option. With sales of the Camaro as they have been and the money maker it has become (even to GM's suprise), they may rethink that in a bit as they make more $$$ on the V8 than on the V6's and it's all about the $$$ for GM!
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote