Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
joeg112

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Replacing Factory speakers in SS

Hey all I am a Camaro newbie. I just bought a 2014 Camaro SS1 and was hoping to do some minor upgrades for starters.

What are the front speaker sizes? Looks like a 1" Tweeter and 6.5" round speakers and the rear speakers look like 6x9's but just curious if anyone knows for sure. Also i see that the rear speakers have harnesses, does anyone know if all the speakers are harness in so all i have to do is buy new speakers and reattach new/old harness. I will eventually add a amplifier but since i am just starting out. I am curious what is behind the panels before i start going crazy. SO any information will be helpful. I am searching this forum like crazy for answers so im sorry if this seems like a repost.

And finally

I would like to add the backup camera but wasnt sure if the factory mylink system has a output in the back of it. Or if it is even a option. Could someone tell me if its possible? I know my dealer had a upgrade available for a few 100$ but was hoping to do it myself. Can it be hooked to the mylink or do i have to goto the rearview camera. I would like to avoid buying a new headunit and dash kit for now.

I have some knowledge and love a challenge.
joeg112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
********.com is your friend.

The search engine here is your friend. There's a ton of threads on replacement of the factory door speakers and the rear speakers. The doors are 6.5 with 1 inch tweeters. The rears are 6x9.

There are also a ton of threads about amp replacement in the boston equipped cars.

******** makes a harness that permits replacement without cutting factory wiring.

It's called the FARK harness. They also have a setup to add a subwoofer and they sell a subwoofer setup.

Lots of us have done this in our cars already. I did the whole overhaul over a period of time. I did the subwoofer kit first and then an amp change. That alone makes a huge difference.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
How does the subs sound mounted in the trunk? I have not added a sub since I had a pair of MTX Road Thunder subs in the back of my old mazda b2200 truck in the early 90's lol
Cldgin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Camaroshark

I have a single 12" and it is pretty intense
Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg112 View Post
Hey all I am a Camaro newbie. I just bought a 2014 Camaro SS1 and was hoping to do some minor upgrades for starters.

What are the front speaker sizes? Looks like a 1" Tweeter and 6.5" round speakers and the rear speakers look like 6x9's but just curious if anyone knows for sure. Also i see that the rear speakers have harnesses, does anyone know if all the speakers are harness in so all i have to do is buy new speakers and reattach new/old harness. I will eventually add a amplifier but since i am just starting out. I am curious what is behind the panels before i start going crazy. SO any information will be helpful. I am searching this forum like crazy for answers so im sorry if this seems like a repost.

And finally

I would like to add the backup camera but wasnt sure if the factory mylink system has a output in the back of it. Or if it is even a option. Could someone tell me if its possible? I know my dealer had a upgrade available for a few 100$ but was hoping to do it myself. Can it be hooked to the mylink or do i have to goto the rearview camera. I would like to avoid buying a new headunit and dash kit for now.

I have some knowledge and love a challenge.
I would honestly advise against replacing speakers before you upgrade the stock amp. From what I've read and heard from BA owners, the stock amp is barely enough to power the stock speakers let alone some aftermarket ones. I'd replace the amp first then the speakers after

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:38 AM   #6
Tim417

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Here is what I did to upgrade my factory BA system, which made a world of difference. Based on a bunch of reading here, I went to the ******** website and got the FARK, JL Audio XD400/4 amp, and mounting plate. Install was pretty easy and even with the factory paper coned speakers, the sound difference was night and day. For some extra oomph I got the ******** Subwoofer kit that includes a stealth box, JBL GTO 12" sub and a JBL 500W mono amp. It comes complete with a wiring kit though some spare wire, misc crimp connectors and a little bit of electrical knowledge is helpful. The kit also comes with a plug and play harness there is no splicing of factory wires required. This system should satisfy all but the most discerning audiophiles.

My next upgrade will be the front components as I set up the rears speakers just for fill. I'm looking at some Focal or Hertz components in the 300-400 dollar price range.

A quick tip. Even though I know I used good grounds, I still had some alternator whine and turn off thump. A pair of ground loop isolators from Best Buy did the trick to get rid of the noise and thump.
Tim417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
hopepassgots

Drives: camaro
the stock amp is barely enough to power the stock speakers let alone some aftermarket ones. I'd replace the amp first then the speakers after
hopepassgots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I went with the following and sounds good.
Jl hd900/5
Hertz hsk165s front
Hertz ecx 690s in rear
Used a different speaker adapter than ******** as i didnt like their materials they use
JL 12w6v3 with ******** stealth box

So far its way above my old system with same amp, crossfire sub, and BA speakers. You will probably have to splice a few wires if installing new speakers or install new speaker wire.
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
NOVAK

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
I went with the following and sounds good.
Jl hd900/5
Hertz hsk165s front
Hertz ecx 690s in rear
Used a different speaker adapter than ******** as i didnt like their materials they use
JL 12w6v3 with ******** stealth box

So far its way above my old system with same amp, crossfire sub, and BA speakers. You will probably have to splice a few wires if installing new speakers or install new speaker wire.
What speaker adapters did you use?
NOVAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #10
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
There has to be more people who swapped out their door speakers, tell us what you have, and your thoughts.

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
Camaroshark

I put in a set of the JL c2-650 components in my doors.

They sound fantastic. The tweets are a little bright at high volumes but overall the system sounds fantastic. I put JL c2-690 speakers in the back deck.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
Broke Pilot

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE,'68 Chevelle,'70 Vette
He said he's got a 1SS guys... Doubt he's got a Boston system in the car so ******** isn't gonna help him much unless he wants to add a sub box.
Unless I'm wrong OP? You didn't say you had the boston system
Old 06-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
Lmj021
WHITE CRIME

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Started with the Alpine camaro kit & a Kenwood Excelon deck. Replaced ALL factory speakers with Infinity Kappa everything! 1" tweeters & 6.5" speakers in the doors plus 6x9's in the rear window sill. Also stayed with Infinity Kappa's for the subwoofer and installed one 12" 1200w in an UNPORTED box in the trunk. Finally I juiced the speakers with a Rockford Fosgate prime 4 channel amp and the sub with the RF prime 750w 2 channel and wired everything to 1-ohm. Finally added gain control as a finishing touch... my thoughts at this point was a hell of a lot better than stock, and for most it would have ended there. I needed more base.I like my music loud, Im not a full blast hear me coming 10 miles away guy. BUT I like to have the option for when I want it. So my theory is rather than keep my gain always almost maxed and the system working hard, I'd could instead add a second sub, and keep everything from straining. STAGE 2- That's exactly what I did. I added another Infinity Kappa 12 " 1200w sub. That's pretty straight forward. What made ALL THE DIFFERENCE was having 2 custom boxes built to spec for those subs also unported. I had them built into each side of the trunk to save space. Without these boxes you lose 2/3rds of your trunk space. Once complete, I could not be a happier camper!
Lmj021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
I have all Audiofrog GB series 3-way front stage running off an Arc 1200.6. 2 Audiofrog 12” sub’d mounted upfiring through the holes in the rear deck where the 6x9’s used to be. Those are running off a Helix SPXL1000 amp, which does 1,750 watts at 1 ohm. All controlled by a Kenwood 9903S head unit, and an Arc PS-8 DSP.