Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
FunkyELF

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Camaro doesn't like rockbox

So I have a 5th generation Video iPod.
I loaded up RockBox because I absolutely hate iTunes and because there isn't a Linux client anyway. http://www.rockbox.org/

I love rockbox because on any operating system it just appears as a mass storage device and I can copy files / folders to it. Via the rockbox menu I can browse these folders the way they are on the drive or I can have my files indexed by artist / genre etc. It has a bunch of games (including doom), supports more file types (like FLAC), can be setup for cross-fading, and a bunch more.

I go to use it in my Camaro and it says there aren't any supported files

I am pretty upset. I plug this thing into a Windows Machine, and Mac OSX machine, a Linux machine, my PS3 and it can find the files just fine. The Camaro manual says that it can browse folders of regular USB drives. Well... thats what this thing looks like to everything else except the Camaro.

Oh well. Its still not gonna make me run the original Apple firmware on my iPod.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
USB Hardware and Vendor IDs. I'm sure the Camaro is using this to see if it's an iPod. Where the computer handles it however the drivers it loads for it tell it to. The Camaro doesn't really have drivers in the same sense. To confirm, does the Camaro say 'iPod' on the screen or does it say USB? If it's the latter, something else is going on. In that case, I would nuke all the files on it and put some basic MP3s on there. Also make sure your files are MP3s and not AAC.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
BigBOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS, 6M, IBM
Only Camaro's with the Convenience and Connectivity package (including 2LT and 2SS) are able to use an iPhone/iPhone/USB Stick, correct?
BigBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBOSS View Post
Only Camaro's with the Convenience and Connectivity package (including 2LT and 2SS) are able to use an iPhone/iPhone/USB Stick, correct?
You must have the C&C package to be able to connect using a USB connection. The C&C package is standard on the 2LT and 2SS. It is an available option on the LS and 1LT, but not the 1SS for some reason...

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
FunkyELF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
USB Hardware and Vendor IDs. I'm sure the Camaro is using this to see if it's an iPod. Where the computer handles it however the drivers it loads for it tell it to. The Camaro doesn't really have drivers in the same sense. To confirm, does the Camaro say 'iPod' on the screen or does it say USB? If it's the latter, something else is going on. In that case, I would nuke all the files on it and put some basic MP3s on there. Also make sure your files are MP3s and not AAC.
When I first plugged the iPod in it loaded up the original iPod firmware and played the one song that I have in there. I then rebooted the iPod into the RockBox firmware and it said USB and something about no recognizable music files found.

My iPod is overdue for a nuke anyway so I'll do that and also update RockBox. Hopefully this will help.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyELF View Post
When I first plugged the iPod in it loaded up the original iPod firmware and played the one song that I have in there. I then rebooted the iPod into the RockBox firmware and it said USB and something about no recognizable music files found.

My iPod is overdue for a nuke anyway so I'll do that and also update RockBox. Hopefully this will help.
Since the iPod actually uses a hard drive in its internals, I would imagine that it is showing up more like an external hard drive than a thumb drive. Other users have found that hard drives are not supported, so this would seem to provide another indication of that fact.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
FunkyELF

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
Since the iPod actually uses a hard drive in its internals, I would imagine that it is showing up more like an external hard drive than a thumb drive. Other users have found that hard drives are not supported, so this would seem to provide another indication of that fact.
Ahh... that might be the case.

I have another piece of hardware that can boot from USB thumb drives just fine but needs special care to boot from a USB hard drive. http://www.openplug.org/
I had to add a 5 second delay to get it to boot from my 1TB external.

Since hard drives are mechanical it takes several seconds for them to spin up and operate while USB thumb drives are operating in a matter of milliseconds. This is a factor of about 1,000.

Chevy should have used a bigger timeout. Why didn't they test with external hard drives?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
mark

Drives: Z06
Have you ever consider rock box changing the file system format on the ipod to a linux standard which not everything can read? Secondly hdds arent designed to be bounced around, not idea for an application in a car, use something solid state instead.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote