Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Dr. Colorchip

Anyone try it for there paint chips on there camaro how's it work? Did it come out good?
upgrades kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ deleted cats, corsa exhaust, hurst short throw shifter stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears ecs kit blower, meth injection, upgraded axles, drive shaft, McLeod rxt clutch, fully forged 416ci stroker all installed and dyno tuned by slowhawk performance in bridgewater ma.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
shooters

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer Package
I'd like to know this as well.
shooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
phdjent
Evan "FRESHAYR"

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51, 2014 Jeep SRT
I actually just received my Dr. Colorchip order a few days ago for my RJT. Unfortunately my son opened the passenger door to get out and bumped it right into my brand new Jeep parked right next to it. :upset: The small chip is on the edge of the door so it's not that terrible, but the one on the Jeep is right in the middle. I got Dr. Colorchip for both vehicles but I haven't had a chance to do it yet. I'm gonna try to get to it tomorrow and we'll see how it works. I'll post some pics as I get it done.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Blue Bandit
blue bandit

Drives: 2018 2SS
Blue Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
phdjent
Evan "FRESHAYR"

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51, 2014 Jeep SRT
OK here ya go. I had some time tonight to try out the Dr. ColorChip on both vehicles. Here's how the damage happened. One door into the other.

Camaro door edge. Two spots to repair. One spot was from a previous mishap.

I had to re apply the touch up paint 3 times because every time I used the blending solution, it would wipe the touch up paint right off. I wasn't wiping particularly hard and I definitely waited long enough before wiping but it still came right off. I finally got it to kinda stay on after wiping and luckily it's not too noticeable on the door edge.

Now the Jeep door is a different story.

Right in the middle of the door makes it much more difficult to conceal. After a few times of applying, unintentionally wiping off the paint and then re applying, I got it to stay on. It's an improvement but you definitely still can see where the spot was. It was very hard to get an after picture because the flash on the camera would reflect in the spot and it looked white. From about 5 feet away it looks like a small blemish or water spot.

My final opinion is that for very small spots and I mean very small spots, this product is definitely worth the $39. That's exactly what you get, a $39 fix. Not perfect but at least it fills in the color. For anything larger than grain of rice, it's not gonna cut it. Make your decision based on where your chip is and how big it is. The Camaro door edge is passable but the middle of the Jeep door really wouldn't be good enough for any car show. You can still see where the spot was, however, it's good enough to not jump out at me every time I get into the car.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
shooters

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer Package
Thanks for the review. Their video, of course, makes it look like a miracle fix but I had a feeling it wasn't that easy.
shooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
It's still pretty good I must say! I've used it on my car and it worked really well.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote