Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
rgreene1971

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
QTP, DMH, NOWEEDS - Which do you prefer?

My 2010 Camaro has the 3" oval cutouts installed from DMH, I have been faily happy with them but recently have run into some bad luck with them. One of the servo gearbox locked up on me (closed fortunately) I purchased a used set and they did not last much longer with both of them suffering from motor servo failure.

I am looking to try a different cutout now and wanted opinions on the QTP cutouts or the NOWEEDS setup. I am honestly leaning towards the noweeds system as the pictures I have seen of the QTP ones appear to use the same style servo motor and gearbox as the DMH ones I keep having issues with.

Would appreciate any input and if you have a different cutout suggestion I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

COMP Cams XFI Street/Strip, Lingenfelter LS3 Heads, AHR Long tube headers + X pipe, FAST LSXR 102mm Intake manifold, LMR Cold air intake, Flowmaster 3" stainless steel exhaust, NoWeeds Exhaust cutouts, Platinum Valve spring kit, ZEX NOS system 175hp shot, Eibach Pro-Kit performance lowering springs (1" drop all around), Custom grills, bumper ports, etc....
rgreene1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
I don't currently have any cutouts on my car as I am completely happy with the way it sounds with everything I have done. If I was going to go with one of those I would definitely go with the Noweeds system. I have seen it on a couple of other cars and the owners have nothing but good things to say about it. Just my .02
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
noweeds is quality stuff
Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
DMH is garbage and you will never be able to get into contact with that crook to get them fixed. I've had a lot of different types of cut outs on the 3 cars I've owned and I'm in NYC so they get punished to the max.

IMO just get the cheaper brands that are in between low level and mid level pricing. I've had the cheap stuff, the expensive high quality stuff, and currently using mid level. They ALL pretty much last the same and have all the same symptoms. They ALL will eventually leak and the motors go bad. It's just really a matter of time. If you drive your car frequently, get something mid level and expect to replace/repair once every 1-2 years . If you rarely drive your car, like once a week or less, get the cheap stuff, it will last just as long as mid level stuff daily driven.
If you want a $400-500ish higher level brand you could try Dougs headers cut outs. Idk, they are all the same lottery to me lol. I'm currently running Badlandz cut outs and they have been good. Its been almost a year and they don't leak yet so I'm happy, and they were cheap.

Even through all the BS there is very few mods more fun than cut outs!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
rgreene1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
DMH is garbage and you will never be able to get into contact with that crook to get them fixed. I've had a lot of different types of cut outs on the 3 cars I've owned and I'm in NYC so they get punished to the max.

IMO just get the cheaper brands that are in between low level and mid level pricing. I've had the cheap stuff, the expensive high quality stuff, and currently using mid level. They ALL pretty much last the same and have all the same symptoms. They ALL will eventually leak and the motors go bad. It's just really a matter of time. If you drive your car frequently, get something mid level and expect to replace/repair once every 1-2 years . If you rarely drive your car, like once a week or less, get the cheap stuff, it will last just as long as mid level stuff daily driven.
If you want a $400-500ish higher level brand you could try Dougs headers cut outs. Idk, they are all the same lottery to me lol. I'm currently running Badlandz cut outs and they have been good. Its been almost a year and they don't leak yet so I'm happy, and they were cheap.

Even through all the BS there is very few mods more fun than cut outs!
Thank you, I am glad to see I am not the only one who has had problems with some of the different cutouts. I always see everyone talk about how good thier cutouts are after they have been installed but no follow up after some time on them.

I use mine as a daily driver as well so I guess I should just get used to changing them out every so often. I am disappointed in the quality of the DMH cutouts after having them on my car and your right, about a year and they died.

I noticed on the Dougs headers cutout they use that same style servo motor located so close to the exhaust, I have only had one cutout leak so far but the motors keep dying on me and think it is due to heat and being so close to the exhaust.

COMP Cams XFI Street/Strip, Lingenfelter LS3 Heads, AHR Long tube headers + X pipe, FAST LSXR 102mm Intake manifold, LMR Cold air intake, Flowmaster 3" stainless steel exhaust, NoWeeds Exhaust cutouts, Platinum Valve spring kit, ZEX NOS system 175hp shot, Eibach Pro-Kit performance lowering springs (1" drop all around), Custom grills, bumper ports, etc....

Last edited by rgreene1971; 06-29-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added info seen on dougs headers
Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreene1971 View Post
Thank you, I am glad to see I am not the only one who has had problems with some of the different cutouts. I always see everyone talk about how good thier cutouts are after they have been installed but no follow up after some time on them.

I use mine as a daily driver as well so I guess I should just get used to changing them out every so often. I am disappointed in the quality of the DMH cutouts after having them on my car and your right, about a year and they died.

I noticed on the Dougs headers cutout they use that same style servo motor located so close to the exhaust, I have only had one cutout leak so far but the motors keep dying on me and think it is due to heat and being so close to the exhaust.
Anyone I know who dailys their car with cut outs has problems within 1-2 years with any cut out. People with few issues probably don't drive much, like myself. My Badzlandz are definitely a lower quality brand but I've only put like 6,000 miles on my car since I got it. Thats why I like the cheaper ones though. Even the Summit ones. I know they won't last so I can very easily find replacements for cheap and slap them on. Imo DMH is equal in quality to all the lower brand stuff but twice the price. Thats what worried me about the noweeds and Qtp. I'm not spending another $500-600 to get something that lasts as long and performs as well as the $200 stuff.

And its definitely the heat dude, all that constant expansion and contraction along with all the vibration. Exhaust gases also are highly corrosive and definitely eat away at all the components. Take some gas for your lawn mower and pour it into one of those red plastic cups, it melts instantly. I forget the number but your engine doesn't even burn a large % of the gas injected into it so all those vapors go right out the exhaust.

I wish someone made a real tough fully mechanical cut out, that would last longest and be best. I'd be fine with having to cut a small hole in my floor too. It could be cable operated, like you have a little handle under the seat that you pull and they open up. Then press a mechanical button on the handle and it snaps back. Just like an e brake basically.

Anyways good luck that is just my take. QTP, No weeds, same stuff imo. Maybe they will last for you idk. Good luck! lol
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I've had QTP and now have NOWEEDS. The QTPs were terrible. The motors constantly failed and the valves leaked. The motors always failed in the up position, not the down. So then I'd be stuck with one pipe open. I went through 3 motors before I gave up on them

I only used the QTPs for about 6 or 7 months. I've had my NOWEEDS for 2 years. They have never failed. I just press the button and they open right up. I don't need to hold the switch.

The NOWEEDS are nothing like the regular cutouts in design. I don't see how they would fail as a result of heat. The motor is distanced from the actual exhaust. The motors are a screw drive instead of a cheap little electric motor attached to a valve. Even if the motor did fail, you can just pull a couple snap rings and swap it out. The QTPs required the whole plate to be removed to get access to the motor bolts.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
rgreene1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
I've had QTP and now have NOWEEDS. The QTPs were terrible. The motors constantly failed and the valves leaked. The motors always failed in the up position, not the down. So then I'd be stuck with one pipe open. I went through 3 motors before I gave up on them

I only used the QTPs for about 6 or 7 months. I've had my NOWEEDS for 2 years. They have never failed. I just press the button and they open right up. I don't need to hold the switch.

The NOWEEDS are nothing like the regular cutouts in design. I don't see how they would fail as a result of heat. The motor is distanced from the actual exhaust. The motors are a screw drive instead of a cheap little electric motor attached to a valve. Even if the motor did fail, you can just pull a couple snap rings and swap it out. The QTPs required the whole plate to be removed to get access to the motor bolts.
Can the noweeds style cutouts be used with a standard cutout switch? I see on thier site they have some weird button system to open and close them. I currently have my cutout switch installed in my cupholder of my center console. I purchased a custom switch panel from emblempros.com and would like to keep using it considering it has etched word that says "cutouts" on it.

Link to panel: http://emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/3436/2842

Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Can the noweeds style cutouts be used with a standard cutout switch? I see on thier site they have some weird button system to open and close them. I currently have my cutout switch installed in my cupholder of my center console. I purchased a custom switch panel from emblempros.com and would like to keep using it considering it has etched word that says "cutouts" on it.

Link to panel: http://emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/3436/2842
I would imagine so. If I recall correctly, the motors each just had two wires. So I assume they're just standard DC motors. I think the NOWEEDS controller just adds timing logic. ie it knows it takes X seconds to open or close and sends power to the motors for that long.

The controller also has a user settable mid position. I have never programmed or used that button.

I imagine a benefit of the controller is that it prevents you from driving the motor against the open or close stop for too long. Which probably helps longevity.

You're better off contacting NOWEEDS for confirmation.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
infernostripes!

Drives: 2010 1ssrs
QTPs leak, they suck. Im going Noweeds next time.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
jeepguy_1980

I should add that occasionally the NOWEEDS will have a slight leak. They only do this when the exhaust is completely cold and the leak is very subtle. You have to be outside of the car and very close to hear it. The leak goes away after a minute or two as soon as the exhaust starts warming up.

It's hardly noticeable and nowhere near what I experienced with my QTPs.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
rgreene1971

It appears the motors are better on the noweeds cutout. Curious if any of the people who currently run noweeds have had other brands in the past?

Old 06-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
It appears the motors are better on the noweeds cutout. Curious if any of the people who currently run noweeds have had other brands in the past?
I had the QTPs before I installed NOWEEDS, as stated in my first post.

Part of the reason I went NOWEEDS was because the QTPs weren't working. But I had already cut my exhaust for them and the NOWEEDs calls for you to remove the same section of exhaust that QTPs have you cut.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
rgreene1971

I think I am going to give the noweeds system a try.