Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Exclamation Emblempros intake teaser pics...

Just a teaser for now, but you can see where it is going over the radiator. this is just the prototype piece, and we expect the final product to make much more power due to smoother airflow.

From driving it around today, we could tell a huge difference in low RPM torque. We aim to take it to the dyno this week to see what power we gain from a direct bolt-on. We still need to install the ram air scoop, but it currently functions as a cold air intake and does not make any extra noise. We'll keep you guys updated.

dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
That looks awesome so far....Just glad it does not look like ours!

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
interested.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
I'm interested in the dyno numbers, availability date and cost.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
dragonZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
I'm interested in the dyno numbers, availability date and cost.
Dyno numbers - I'll let you know this week if we are going into molding production. If we are, then you can place your bet that these are going to make great power because we will not dump money into tooling for a useless mod. As for final numbers, I will not post those until a full working production unit is in my hands because I want to tell everyone accurate numbers; not prototype numbers. We know the final part will make more power than our prototype.

Availability - After tooling is decided, it would be about 1-2 months. We will decide on tooling this week.

Cost - Cheaper than you might expect. We aren't going to charge an arm and a leg, and we don't want to. One of our guiding beliefs is that when you make a great product for a great price, it will sell itself. We believe in making a fair price because exhuberant prices invite even more competition and everyone gets a smaller piece of the pie. We are striving and developing this to be better and more affordable than the competition.

We are probably going to make 2 versions of this intake. One version will be an everyday streetable version. The other will have a massively functional ram air scoop attached and will require track use only - or "no rain" driving. We want the ram air unit to really huff some air, and it creates a problem for everyday driving due to the possibility of water ingestion during a rainy day. We are currently toying with drainage systems and stuff, but that will add to the cost. So, the ram air scoop will completely harness all air it takes in, so it will likely be a "drive without rain" mod. The cool part is that the scoop will be detachable so that water will not be a problem if you are expecting rain and need to drive your car.

We will dyno test/tune and track test/tune both versions for you guys so that you can see the differences.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Interesting that the lower grill has been removed... hmmmmmm =o) Well I'd like to say that it looks good, but ya cant see much! Im looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
What previous level of experience does your company have in developing intakes?
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
dragonZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
What previous level of experience does your company have in developing intakes?
This will be the first, but please don't let that make your decision. I urge everyone to wait for the numbers and track gains. I have been a HP freak for many years and built the Viper Steel Grey Camaro in the background with a 408 stroker that makes 556RWHP all motor. I have an Associates in Automotive Technology and I am working with 2 mechanical engineers and drafters to get this done right. One of the engineers on this project, my father, works as senior ME at an automotive production facility.

We absolutely know how to make this thing work, and we know how to make a quality part without breaking the bank for the customer.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Thats just what I need....some more Teasing... WTF?

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
dragonZ28

I can tell you guys for sure that this thing really, really breathes. This is our prototype piece that we thought would be extremely restrictive due to its sheet metal composition with sharp bends and things that are not very friendly to airflow.

However, even with all the restrictions, this thing seems to take on so much air that it threw lean codes for left and right bank. Obviously, this is a mixed basket of good and bad news. The good news is that the final production part will breathe even more than this prototype. Since the prototype will require a tune to get rid of the SES light, the final product will as well. the only way to make it not throw an SES light is to restrict it, which is not something we want to do because we feel it is counterproductive to making a nasty intake. I am really excited to see what this thing is going to do with a tune. If a bolt-on intake from another company does not throw an SES light, then they aren't getting as much air as this prototype. However, by requiring a tune, you run the risk of voiding your warranty, which is the downside.

What do you guys suggest? Should we make a more restrictive unit that will not throw an SES light? I am very conflicted about this because I beleive most people who buy an intake will move to more mods later and require a tune anyway.

Our final unit with the ram air scoop is going to make redonkulous power with a tune. That is what I think the true modder will want.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
third_shift|studios

Drives: Like I Stole It!
that's gotta clean up the whole engine w/out the elbo/air box junk. Nice job-good luck with the final product. Does it gather air like an LS1 ram air through that-intake slit on the front? I thought those were fake-or does one have to cut theirs out? I'll understand if you'd be revealing production secrets and don't want to answer.
third_shift|studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Cant wait to see it. If you are just doing one kind, I would go with the tune
unit, sounds like it will be a nice piece.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Nxtr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
"What do you guys suggest? Should we make a more restrictive unit that will not throw an SES light?"

My 2 cents, keep your original design that triggers the SES. But; include a removable molded insert restrictor allowing street use with no ses, thus maximizing low level mods like cat back, shortie headers, etc. Then when the user decides on biggier mods, it is as simple as removing the restrictor and doing a tune which would be required by the bigger mods anyhow...

Again just my two cents...

V/R,
Nick
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
let it suck
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote