Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-29-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
l.abrego

Drives: 2015 summit white Camaro
Exhaust help

Okay so I’ve just received the magnaflow resonated x pipe for my 2015 v6 camaro. But im undecided on whether I should delete the mufflers or delete the mufflers and resonators as well? What about the secondary cats? Or should I save for the catless downpipes? I need opinions lol thanks
l.abrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
If you remove the mufflers you'll get a decent amount of drone - J-pipes will help with this. Keeping the resonators won't do much for drone but should make the tone a bit deeper, although...

I removed my resonators and mufflers and replaced with 2.5" pipe from the resonated x-pipe back and think it sounds pretty good; not sure how much the resonators would affect the sound but the sound isn't too high-pitch/raspy without them, so you could remove them as well if you wanted to. I also ended up getting j-pipes installed to help with the drone; the drone wasn't too bad for me but it can get nauseating on long drives.

I wouldn't touch the cats and instead wait to replace them all together; I plan to go with Solo's high-flow cats (just waiting for the warranty to expire) as they have resonators built into them; I suspect with high-flow cats the sound will be higher/raspier and so the built-in resonators will hopefully help with this. If you're going cat-less you may want to keep the resonators, but that's just my guess.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Drone and rasp are definitely personal preferences, as I know plenty of people who both do and do not like rasp and some people are really sensitive to in cabin drone whereas others enjoy it. It's all about what you want to do now vs what you are going to do later though.

If you aren't going to touch the exhaust again for a while, I'd say see about deleting the secondary cats, add the resonated x where the stock H is, and then run 2.5" pipe to the mufflers. I can't say how much in cabin noise you can handle, so I can't in good faith say yes, delete the mufflers. Watch some youtube videos with headphones.

Really the only thing that changes in my response is whether you are going to get high flow cats or catless downpipes. If you are, then don't bother deleting your secondary cats. If you aren't, removing the secondaries with give a little power bump. Catless + NPP exhaust open + resonated x is still too raspy for me personally (NPP open would basically be a muffler delete) but it was fine with the stock cats and the secondary cats deleted. I'm adding a pair of Solo resonators tomorrow. When I had my Solo high flow cats (traded them to a friend) my exhaust was very smooth and quiet, easily manageable if you will.

Just levels to it.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.abrego View Post
Okay so I’ve just received the magnaflow resonated x pipe for my 2015 v6 camaro. But im undecided on whether I should delete the mufflers or delete the mufflers and resonators as well? What about the secondary cats? Or should I save for the catless downpipes? I need opinions lol thanks
I would add a nice sounding exhaust and some hi flow cats with the X pipe. I did the muffler delete and regretted it. sounded horrible, and immediately replaced it. Ended up doing MRT 2.0 with X pipe and high flow cats. In my honest opinion, this is the best sounding exhaust.