Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
Same thing,i've done my time in V6 Mustangs and Camaros. I am glad that Ford will have a base car that will compete with the base Camaro. I do wish to own a '84-86 SVO though,because it wasn't a base car and it was special,and it was kinda of oddball.
Nope. The Ecoboost car won't be a "base" model, it will more than likely take the place of the current GT. The engine is said to put out 350hp and 350lbs of torque. I wouldn't call that standard stuff.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #16
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
SS all the way babe. I have a couple of friends that are cops and they told me that when I get the SS and break it in they will try and catch me in there cars to see what they will be up against in the near future. So an SS against Crown Vics SC? we will see.

Ow and one police Dodge Charger Edition.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Quote:
You know,when the 3.8 came out in the 4th gen Fbody,the press was all gaga over that V6 Pony car,it was as fast as the '94-98 GT,it was raising the bar for base cars and blah,blah,blah. Looking back,who would seriously own one over a 4th gen Z28 or TA?
300HP is the new 200HP,it isn't that special anymore. Any number of car companies can make a car like a V6 Camaro,(Genesis,Accord,Eclipse),but a V8 SS will be special,and owning it,like owning any past V8 pony car,is a special experience. Life is about minimizing regrets,and i think many future V6 Camaro will regret that choice. It's a "yeah but" car,life is too short for "yeah but" cars.
I owned 2 V6 pony cars,they were and are all fine automobiles,enough performance for most regular people,and they are very valuable to the survival of the breed,but at the end of the day,i want a car that can make some memories. If you're going to be a bear,be a Grizzly bear,and a 422HP SS is a grizzly bear,memory making,anti-"yeah but" machine. Bandit didn't drive a Esprit,Frank Bullitt didn't drive a Sprint,the Duke boys didn't worry about MPH,or just being fast enough.
300hp does not equal 200hp. there are plenty of cars built nowdays that don't break the 200hp barrier. 300hp in the base camaro is significant. Keep in mind that the early 4th gen v8s weren't rated at 300hp. progress is good. the v6 is more than 'fast enough' for enthusiasts. Buying any 5th gen camaro is significant. Speed isn't everything for everyone.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver620 View Post
would the v6 camaro be faster than a mustang?
No, assuming you are talking about the GT. The Mustang weighs less and has more torque. It will win a drag race against the Camaro. The V6 Camaro would make for a very interesting match around a road course against a Mustang GT. For more information, this topic has been beaten to death in another thread.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #19
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
take in consideration of the base price of the v6 camaro 22,000$ EST. it is significantly lower than all the competitor's and it offers the same performance as a mustang GT and g35
Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #20
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
take in consideration of the base price of the v6 camaro 22,000$ EST. it is significantly lower than all the competitor's and it offers the same performance as a mustang GT and g35
I wouldn't use the word "same", "similar" seems more appropriate.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #21
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
You know,when the 3.8 came out in the 4th gen Fbody,the press was all gaga over that V6 Pony car,it was as fast as the '94-98 GT,it was raising the bar for base cars and blah,blah,blah. Looking back,who would seriously own one over a 4th gen Z28 or TA?
300HP is the new 200HP,it isn't that special anymore. Any number of car companies can make a car like a V6 Camaro,(Genesis,Accord,Eclipse),but a V8 SS will be special,and owning it,like owning any past V8 pony car,is a special experience. Life is about minimizing regrets,and i think many future V6 Camaro will regret that choice. It's a "yeah but" car,life is too short for "yeah but" cars.
I owned 2 V6 pony cars,they were and are all fine automobiles,enough performance for most regular people,and they are very valuable to the survival of the breed,but at the end of the day,i want a car that can make some memories. If you're going to be a bear,be a Grizzly bear,and a 422HP SS is a grizzly bear,memory making,anti-"yeah but" machine. Bandit didn't drive a Esprit,Frank Bullitt didn't drive a Sprint,the Duke boys didn't worry about MPH,or just being fast enough.
This is really well-put. The V6 may or may not be special in 14 years, but I believe it will be. Cars won't forever increase in power like they have been recently. Most people can't handle 500 horses, so 400 is close to bordering on that number. 300-hp represents a lower bracket of cars that gets a lot of attention. The Camaro LT will be compared to 350Zs while the SS will get compared to a higher tier of cars.

This time, the V6 is not a gimped version of the V8. The V8 is the showoff of the pair, but the V6 will be featured as a styled alternative as opposed to a subordinate to the more powerful V8. The V6 will be touted as the concept's loyal follower (matching front end) with the RS kit to make it more stylized.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #22
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

This sounds like the beginning of an elitist split. I hope that's not the case.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #23
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
I'm definitely considering a pretty loaded V6 Camaro. LT w RS, and leather is a must. Maybe inferno Orange interior, or just black leather... We'll see.

The V6 Camaro is going to be quick. Granted it's not going to be whooping a current gen Mustang GT, but it will for sure be taking on the V6 Mustang, and V6 Challenger with ease. It may be able to hang with cars like the 350Z and G35's and G37's...

I'm hoping some bolt-ons can even up the odds with maybe some older gen GT's though....

As much as I want the power of the SS, I know it's something that I don't need. Something more well rounded, like an LT will be fine with me.

It just depends on what you want...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
This sounds like the beginning of an elitist split. I hope that's not the case.
The split started when the second '65 Mustang off the line was a I6. There will always be a split no matter what model or brand you're talking about. Boxster vs 911,356 vs 911,GT vs Cobra............i like the V6 offerings,i like the current V6 Mustang non-pony edition,no spoiler,i think its the cleanest looking of the bunch. For me personally though,i'm getting older,my family is growing and you never know what's coming down the road. I'm taking advantage of having toys while i can,and the V6 isn't special enough,IMO,to be my "toy" for the next 5 years. My GT is too common for me really,i'm looking to step up for my next car,not down or sideways.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #25
seattlecamaroboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
I will just laugh at the little Gt mustangs, and think to myself, haha im in a v6 thats almost as fast as your v8, and i get great gas milage!

Im sure you can do some mods to compete though.

A stock GT does 0 to 60 in 5.1. Projections for your V6 are 6.0. That's not even close. Not to menton that no amount of speed can make up for that amazing sound and visceral feel of a V8. Nothing.
seattlecamaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #26
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik View Post
I want the POWERRRRR!!!!!! (**growls**)
Agreed, you can never have too much horse powwwer. ")
Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #27
bamfcamaro

Drives: 2010 2lt rs
first of all that time may be for a new gt but i have raced several older model gts as in 94 to 2003 and it is a very close race even me edging them out several times .no it cannot keep up with the new body gts and second the v6 has a 0 60 at 5.5 stock its not that far fetched that with a few mods you could keep up
bamfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #28
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
SS all the way!