Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Trifecta Tune and Tapshift

Okay you guys. I have to share this info. Though most of you might already know this.

Today, I was driving to my work to drop something off... It's about a 30 minute drive with light traffic. And for those of you who know, I recently got some PaddleShifter Prototypes from Hurst, and I couldn't wait to drive in Tapshift manual.

I was observing more closely at how everything felt. The Tapshift Paddles, Delays, and how the Engine and transmission responded. This of course, is speaking on behalf of the trifecta tune. I had noticed a shift delay from the get-go when playing with Tapshift. But the delay felt more apparent when I installed the Paddles. This was because I didn't have to reach down to the buttons. Giving my hands more time in between shifts, which then in turn made me feel like it was delayed.

I e-mailed Vince, asking if his tune can reduce the Delay. Vince replied he wanted to look into it, but as far as he knows, he can't do it yet.

Anyway, so I was driving to work, and I drove the full way with Tapshift manual. HOLY CRAP... it FEELS So intense with the Firm Shifts and the Paddles I've installed. Where as Manual Tranny cars have to Rev Match, I had just noticed the Automatics RevMatch too! But ONLY after you have the firm shift option Enabled. Because it's revmatching, it therefore doesn't actually have a delay. it's just in neutral.

Here is what happens before and after the Tune. Before, the Clutches in the Automatic Tranny are engaged and disengaged with an overlapping method. When you shift from Gear 1 to gear 2, the Clutch from gear 1 disengages slowly while gear 2 engages slowly, thus giving you a "smoother" ride transitioning between the two gears.

Now, with Trifecta's FIRM SHIFT... Wow... It is Awesome. From Gear 1 to gear 2, you can FEEL that there is a Neutral before the 2nd gear's clutch is engaged. Thus, the rev matching. When I drove the car hard, I could see my Rev meter going up... TAP, the REv Meter JUMPS (because in neutral) and quickly catches the next gear. That NEUTRAL point makes your body fly forward, and SLAMS you in the seat on the next gear! =D

This was so fun, I kept doing it LOL. Now... it sounds like it's really harmful to the Tranny, but as long as u keep ur foot down when it's shifting, it should be fine. Hence the rev match. Also, Downshifts are effected as well. And man, Downshifting has never been more aggresive lol. In gear, downshift, Neutral, BAM Lower gear and your head flys foward. lol.

Anyway, I am planning on shooting a video on this very discovery. Showing you guys the effect. It's really awesome. And I was really excited to tell you guys this lol. For those who know this already, yeah, u can ignore me, but you can't take away my exicitement.

It's like I own a different Car.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Now, with the FIRM SHIFT... Wow... It is Awesome. From Gear 1 to gear 2, you can FEEL that there is a Neutral before the 2nd gear's clutch is engaged. Thus, the rev matching. When I drove the car hard, I could see my Rev meter going up... TAP, the REv Meter JUMPS (because in neutral) and quickly catches the next gear. That NEUTRAL point makes your body fly forward, and SLAMS you in the seat on the next gear! =D
I really hate to rain on your Parade, but this will destroy your transmission and is not the correct way for a trans to shift.

There should Never be a RPM Flare between shifts.

Sorry.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Okay you guys. I have to share this info. Though most of you might already know this.

Today, I was driving to my work to drop something off... It's about a 30 minute drive with light traffic. And for those of you who know, I recently got some PaddleShifter Prototypes from Hurst, and I couldn't wait to drive in Tapshift manual.

I was observing more closely at how everything felt. The Tapshift Paddles, Delays, and how the Engine and transmission responded. This of course, is speaking on behalf of the trifecta tune. I had noticed a shift delay from the get-go when playing with Tapshift. But the delay felt more apparent when I installed the Paddles. This was because I didn't have to reach down to the buttons. Giving my hands more time in between shifts, which then in turn made me feel like it was delayed.

I e-mailed Vince, asking if his tune can reduce the Delay. Vince replied he wanted to look into it, but as far as he knows, he can't do it yet.

Anyway, so I was driving to work, and I drove the full way with Tapshift manual. HOLY CRAP... it FEELS So intense with the Firm Shifts and the Paddles I've installed. Where as Manual Tranny cars have to Rev Match, I had just noticed the Automatics RevMatch too! But ONLY after you have the firm shift option Enabled. Because it's revmatching, it therefore doesn't actually have a delay. it's just in neutral.

Here is what happens before and after the Tune. Before, the Clutches in the Automatic Tranny are engaged and disengaged with an overlapping method. When you shift from Gear 1 to gear 2, the Clutch from gear 1 disengages slowly while gear 2 engages slowly, thus giving you a "smoother" ride transitioning between the two gears.

Now, with Trifecta's FIRM SHIFT... Wow... It is Awesome. From Gear 1 to gear 2, you can FEEL that there is a Neutral before the 2nd gear's clutch is engaged. Thus, the rev matching. When I drove the car hard, I could see my Rev meter going up... TAP, the REv Meter JUMPS (because in neutral) and quickly catches the next gear. That NEUTRAL point makes your body fly forward, and SLAMS you in the seat on the next gear! =D

This was so fun, I kept doing it LOL. Now... it sounds like it's really harmful to the Tranny, but as long as u keep ur foot down when it's shifting, it should be fine. Hence the rev match. Also, Downshifts are effected as well. And man, Downshifting has never been more aggresive lol. In gear, downshift, Neutral, BAM Lower gear and your head flys foward. lol.

Anyway, I am planning on shooting a video on this very discovery. Showing you guys the effect. It's really awesome. And I was really excited to tell you guys this lol. For those who know this already, yeah, u can ignore me, but you can't take away my exicitement.

It's like I own a different Car.
I know exactly what you mean. I have been using the tap shifts allot the past two weeks and with the stereo off to listen to the MRT's...........

I can't say that I notice the rev thing happeningg thou.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Sounds like your A6 tune is not right. That does sound like Ted says that tranny is going to blow up soon like that.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
jagan323
I have no life

Really? Interesting. I will speak to my tuner =D
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Really? Interesting. I will speak to my tuner =D

Please do and let me know what you find. I have basically the same tune you do. I will have to pay close attention later and see if I can notice what you are talking about with regards to the rev. situation.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
gatorlover

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS 1LE
ted,
I have your tune and if feels like it does the rev match as well. Maybe not as dramatic as the op describes but, it does seem to do that. Can you elaborate on this?

Mone seems more noticable on the 3rd to 4th gear shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I really hate to rain on your Parade, but this will destroy your transmission and is not the correct way for a trans to shift.

There should Never be a RPM Flare between shifts.

Sorry.

Ted.

Last edited by gatorlover; 04-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.
gatorlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
jagan323
I have no life

Hey rtcatman, (imo you should tell me ur first name, it's weird to type ur username LOL)

I talked to Vince, I trust him. I could forward you his email to me through PM. But as of this thread, I'm not going to start saying people are wrong or right. Just wanted to tell ppl how excited I am =D

Actually im just going to PM you anyways lol
Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlover View Post
ted,
I have your tune and if feels like it does the rev match as well. Maybe not as dramatic as the op describes but, it does seem to do that. Can you elaborate on this?
I believe Ted thinks I'm driving a car like a manual without rev matching, therefore hurting the syncros and transmission. Usually the internal parts cant take too much stress like changing gears without any rev matching...

They think it will blow up! =O lolz
Old 04-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
jagan323
I have no life

okay, for some reason, I cant PM you RTcatman =/
Old 04-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Hey Jagan... wonder if the paddles are maybe adjusted a bit too close and are holding the button down?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Beauwulf

I have the TCM tune on this pass

Does yours sound like that?

I use tapshift at Homestead on this video as well///

Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
Hey Jagan... wonder if the paddles are maybe adjusted a bit too close and are holding the button down?
Nah man, I believe the Tapshift is boolean pass, which just means On or Off... doesnt matter if you hold the button down, it won't change how it shifts. And yes, the paddles were ONCE too close, and I could not upshift, since the paddle was holding the button down. I got the thing optimized now. so its fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
I have the TCM tune on this pass

Does yours sound like that?

I use tapshift at Homestead on this video as well///

I can't really tell if it sounds the same. I actually don't hear your firm shifts engaging. But it could just be the camera. Let me ask you this. Before your and after your TCM tune, did u hear and feel the difference?

Rtcatman claims he can't feel the difference. Maybe I should get my transmission serviced LOL...

When I shift, I can hear a slight noise. But it's just the clutches engaging/disengaging. I know that for sure. But the noise is so subtle... I dont think you or I can pick it up on camera. I can try though. I still plan on making a video about it. But I dont think the camera's can pick up on that. Especially with the engine and exhaust roaring at the higher RPMs.

-EDIT: Btw, I love your second video. The breeze, sun and everything looked perfect. But I lol'd when that Miata just slammed itself infront of u. Damn those nimble things! lol.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
Beauwulf

Quote:
Nah man, I believe the Tapshift is boolean pass, which just means On or Off... doesnt matter if you hold the button down, it won't change how it shifts. And yes, the paddles were ONCE too close, and I could not upshift, since the paddle was holding the button down. I got the thing optimized now. so its fine.

I can't really tell if it sounds the same. I actually don't hear your firm shifts engaging. But it could just be the camera. Let me ask you this. Before your and after your TCM tune, did u hear and feel the difference?

Rtcatman claims he can't feel the difference. Maybe I should get my transmission serviced LOL...

When I shift, I can hear a slight noise. But it's just the clutches engaging/disengaging. I know that for sure. But the noise is so subtle... I dont think you or I can pick it up on camera. I can try though. I still plan on making a video about it. But I dont think the camera's can pick up on that. Especially with the engine and exhaust roaring at the higher RPMs.
Yea, I thought the switch was "momentary" but I never tried holding the button to see...

If the clutches are slipping to the point that there is a free rev in between shifts, it's not the programming. It could be low fluid level but I'm thinkin its cooked clutch discs. If your still under warranty, I'd take it in. I would, however, unflash the tune before you try to get service....

I could maybe tell better from a video what's going on with it....

BTW, I got a neat little cover from "Windcutter" for my cam to try to get some better audio. I haven't tried it yet but everyone seems to rave about the stuff!

http://tinyurl.com/4xtmo5e