Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Im primarily concerned with the whole hot wiring problem. Is this new Passkey system gonna prevent d*ckheads from hot wiring and driving off with my car this time?
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #16
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Lo-Jack can be defeated also.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Keeping Onstar will help also. I heard it is pretty hard to turn off and can track the car and shut down the engine.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
2kwik
So anxious.

Drives: Awaiting my 2010 SS
www.Mymobileguardian.com

Looks pretty cool... I'm going to give it a try. Though I still believe that if someone really wanted your car, and knew what they were doing... not much would stop them from taking it :-/
Old 11-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs69cam View Post
Go with LO Jack-- Best Vehicle Recovery System in the World---I'll have mine installed before the maro leaves the dealership--- I've got it on all of my cars--- Price -- Anywhere from $400.00 to $600.00 depending on what your dealership wants to charge you--Ask TAG what he thinks of LO JACK ---
We've gotten cars back with Lo Jack installed in 20 minutes of having the lo jack initiated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimC33 View Post
TAG, Care to reply to this and give me your .02 on Lo Jack?
Lo Jack is great. We just need to have the cars with Lo Jack installed available to find your stolen vehicle. We found a 2002 Z06 a few weeks ago by way of Lo Jack. Only ONE police vehicle had it in the area and he kept giving us directions as he was trying to get closer. So, we all kept our eyes peeled for it and I actually found it in the back parking lot of an apartment complex. It was still in great condition except for the ignition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
Lo-Jack can be defeated also.
Sure...but I'd say you could defeat it only if you knew it was there. Don't know how you would know it was installed unless you were stealing a car where you knew the owner and knew that the lo jack was there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Keeping Onstar will help also. I heard it is pretty hard to turn off and can track the car and shut down the engine.
Onstar does help. You can call them up, have them kill the engine and report it's location to the police. They can't pinpoint like lo jack can. But, they can get you pretty darn close.

There is one alarm that you can install that we talked about years ago here. It's a plug style that you actually have to plug in the deal before starting the car. The plug goes on your key chain and it can be a pain in the ass, but they have NEVER had a single vehicle stolen by by passing their anti theft device.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=alarm

Go to my original thread...there is a link in there too. Basically, the only way your car can be stolen it by having it towed off. Not bad, huh?!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #20
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
We've gotten cars back with Lo Jack installed in 20 minutes of having the lo jack initiated.

Lo Jack is great. We just need to have the cars with Lo Jack installed available to find your stolen vehicle. We found a 2002 Z06 a few weeks ago by way of Lo Jack. Only ONE police vehicle had it in the area and he kept giving us directions as he was trying to get closer. So, we all kept our eyes peeled for it and I actually found it in the back parking lot of an apartment complex. It was still in great condition except for the ignition.

Sure...but I'd say you could defeat it only if you knew it was there. Don't know how you would know it was installed unless you were stealing a car where you knew the owner and knew that the lo jack was there.

Onstar does help. You can call them up, have them kill the engine and report it's location to the police. They can't pinpoint like lo jack can. But, they can get you pretty darn close.

There is one alarm that you can install that we talked about years ago here. It's a plug style that you actually have to plug in the deal before starting the car. The plug goes on your key chain and it can be a pain in the ass, but they have NEVER had a single vehicle stolen by by passing their anti theft device.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=alarm

Go to my original thread...there is a link in there too. Basically, the only way your car can be stolen it by having it towed off. Not bad, huh?!!!
True on the Lo Jack. But I've also found a really easy and cheap way to keep your car from getting stolen. Remove the fuel pump relay when you leave the car and plug it back in when you need to drive it. Its not that big of a hassle on some cars where its easily accessible. It doesn't even have to be the fuel pump relay, just some relay that won't allow the car to start. Way cheaper than buying and installing an alarm system.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #21
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Quote:
True on the Lo Jack. But I've also found a really easy and cheap way to keep your car from getting stolen. Remove the fuel pump relay when you leave the car and plug it back in when you need to drive it. Its not that big of a hassle on some cars where its easily accessible. It doesn't even have to be the fuel pump relay, just some relay that won't allow the car to start. Way cheaper than buying and installing an alarm system.
So how about a battery cutoff? Like how in my 4th gen I relocated the battery to the trunk and I had a battery cut off key. Do you think this could be affective?
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #22
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimC33 View Post
So how about a battery cutoff? Like how in my 4th gen I relocated the battery to the trunk and I had a battery cut off key. Do you think this could be affective?
Sure...as long as it doesn't kill power to things that need it for memory of settings. It would also kill the keyless entry and the factory security system if you had a main power disconnect. The relay would be a much easier option.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #23
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Quote:
My Evo came with something similar, there is a relay that replaces the FP relay, that is controlled with a remote. If you push the button once it allows the car to be started that one time. Also allows for up to 10 starts, that can be easily cancelled for valet situations.

I will try and find the box.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #24
SickRS

Drives: 2002 Trans AM WS6
Heres the deal from someone who actually installs remote starts an alarms. If you can install a remote start, the wiring diagrams we look at basically show us how to bypass the stock anti-theft set up.

There is no best way to go, it really depends on what you want to do. Viper has options to add on such as proximity detectors, piezo sirens, windo mods, GPS tracking and such. Only limitations are how much you want to spend and the limitations of your installer. If there is anyone near Chicago, the Best Buy I work at has one of the 5 MECP Master Level installers in the state of Illinois and there are only 88 total in the country.

Last edited by SickRS; 12-02-2008 at 10:43 AM.
SickRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #25
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I spent many years installing alarms. For the whole preventing joyriding kids and people looking to steal stuff out of your interior, car alarms are great. However the factory imobilizer is still better, and in the end the people who really are going to steal your car, won't be deterred by an aftermarket alarm.

After all those years doing it I know its not worth it, so I'll stick with the factory stuff and maybe get a lojak as thats the only way to make sure you get your car back.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #26
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRS View Post
Heres the deal from someone who actually installs remote starts an alarms. If you can install a remote start, the wiring diagrams we look at basically show us how to bypass the stock anti-theft set up.

There is no best way to go, it really depends on what you want to do. Viper has options to add on such as proximity detectors, piezo sirens, windo mods, GPS tracking and such. Only limitations are how much you want to spend and the limitations of your installer. If there is anyone near Chicago, the Best Buy I work at has one of the 5 MECP Master Level installers in the state of Illinois and there are only 88 total in the country.
Good to know!

I'll be using the Onstar system. I had Lojack back in the day, it worked, well... no one ever stole my car.
Always good to hear about other options though.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #27
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Talking Awesome

I love the trunk monkey
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #28
sinnerSS

Drives: 2004 mazda rx8
Quote:
you're beter off just installing a ghost kill switch.