Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Jerrylee

Drives: SS 6.2
Who uses Pirelli Scorpion Winter winter tires?

Hello,

do any of you use these tires in winter? I am really satisfied because the first ones lasted 3 seasons, 10000 km and a lot of burns, but in March 2017, I bought some new ones that I only installed in October of the same year, only 2 days after having installed them and traveled about 200 km, a biker who was driving very fast in my mountain went straight into a bend and came to fit into the front bumper of my car, which caused 3 months of immobilization of my Camaro, and when I recovered it on January 19th, 2018, I did only 300 km until the assembly of the wheels of summer (seen the way of rolling which have the French who come to work in Switzerland where I live, I was afraid to have another accident that would deprive me of my Camaro even longer, is that I love this bug, but putting the winter tires back two weeks ago, after only a few dozen kilometers, I noticed that there was a furrow digging on the right outer edge of the left rear tire, I looked everywhere under the wheel arch and nothing could rub at that spot, and at one point, I look at the left rear wheel and exactly the same problem but towards the board of the inner tire, I then called the tire dealer who sold them to me and asked me to bring him the car for him to be aware of the problem, he asked the Swiss importer at the same time Pirelli to come to see the problem, as soon as they noticed these traces, they immediately replaced the rear tires with new ones (the others were also seen that they had no more than 500km), but the Pirelli representative forbade me to take pictures of the tires once they were disassembled (I did not tell him that I had already done when they were on the car), so my question is to know if it is a known problem or in any case and if those who have the same (275 / 40-20) have these grooves that are widening because on the first, I never noticed anything, and these although they were sold to me in 2017 had summers manufactured in 2015 according to markings.

here is a picture of each rear wheel

bye
Attached Images

Jerrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
firedruish

I purchased a set of those tires new the winter of 14-15 for my 2011 LT2 RS in the same size as you. Had a hard stop avoiding a bear and the tires where done at 7k miles. I was very unhappy with the tires and pirelli. They wouldnt warranty them, and they didn't handle as I expected in s.w. Colorado winter.

Good luck. There are others on here that love those tires.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Have the same tires but in 245, have yet to have a problem with them.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Jerrylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedruish View Post
I purchased a set of those tires new the winter of 14-15 for my 2011 LT2 RS in the same size as you. Had a hard stop avoiding a bear and the tires where done at 7k miles. I was very unhappy with the tires and pirelli. They wouldnt warranty them, and they didn't handle as I expected in s.w. Colorado winter.

Good luck. There are others on here that love those tires.
Ok, thanks for the response👍
Old 11-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Jerrylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
Have the same tires but in 245, have yet to have a problem with them.
on the two front tires in 245, not had this worries, I think it's related only to 275 who are at the back.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I have had the 245/275 tires for three years, but only ~5,000 miles. I only use them in winter.

No issues with mine.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Go with Bridgestone Blizzaks and you won't be disappointed
Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post
Go with Bridgestone Blizzaks and you won't be disappointed
I had Blizzaks on my Nissan and they were very good.

Now, if only they made them in our sizes...
Old 11-08-2018, 02:50 AM   #9
Jerrylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
I have had the 245/275 tires for three years, but only ~5,000 miles. I only use them in winter.

No issues with mine.
they are Pirelli Scorpion Winter?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #10
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrylee View Post
they are Pirelli Scorpion Winter?

Yes. OEM sizes I had mounted on my stock wheels.

Good for Pirelli to replace to replace all of yours. They must have had a bad run.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Never used these tires as I am not a real fan of Pirelli. I use the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 year round and love the tires, not fond of the price. They last a while and the warranty was the best that Ive seen out there.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
I had Falken Eurowinters on my old Chrysler 300 a few years back, they were outstanding. I had to drive back from a buddy's house 20 miles away in the middle of BFE through over a foot of fresh snow and had no trouble at all. I passed a couple 4WD trucks stuck in the ditch too, I wish I could've seen the look on their face as I rolled on by in my sedan. That year was absolutely insane, never seen so much snow in my life. Broke down and bought a snowblower too, haven't used it since.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:12 AM   #13
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
I don't take my Camaro out in snowy/crap winter weather, so no fkn need for any special "snow" tires!! Same wif my 'Vette.....don't drive that in RAIN or SNOW!!