Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Firehawk321

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
2010 Camaro ss Engine reinforcement

I am getting around 650 rwhp, I was wondering before something does fail what should be replaced with an stronger part. I have heard you need forged pistons around 600 and also an trans rebuild around 600-650. Is there anything else that I am missing?

And can you give me an price estimate too? Thats the main reason of this post i have seen all these things that need to be done, but with no price estimate. Also how much hp can forged pistons hold and the trans rebuild can hold. I was thinking about diamond racing forged pistons but how much hp can they handle?

Last edited by Firehawk321; 09-19-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Firehawk321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk321 View Post
I am getting around 650 rwhp, I was wondering before something does fail what should be replaced with an stronger part. I have heard you need forged pistons around 600 and also an trans rebuild around 600-650. Is there anything else that I am missing?

And can you give me an price estimate too? Thats the main reason of this post i have seen all these things that need to be done, but with no price estimate. Also how much hp can forged pistons hold and the trans rebuild can hold. I was thinking about diamond racing forged pistons but how much hp can they handle?
This question is full of way too many variables to answer with any accuracy.... 650 RWHP is very respectful.... There is no set number for any of these questions.... Driving style, type of forced induction, quality of the tune, type of transmission, amount of traction etc etc etc.....

Additionally, the question about pricing is an open book as well.... Again, type of transmission, "level" desired.... racing or performance driving style.... Manual or automatic transmission....

While I don't run Diamond Racing Forged Pistons, of which there are many different variables here as well, I'm sure they can offer you a piston to handle whatever you desire power wise.

My recommendation is maybe build a rainy day slush fund..... At your power level anything can happen. A good launch, more than typical traction, an electronic component failure leading to mechanical parts failures etc..... You may drive the car for years with no issue.... It may break the next time you start it....

Don't worry about hardline numbers (there are none) and enjoy the car.... JMHO

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...parts-failure/ I believe Tick was showing the trans rebuilds or some other east coast place, not that others don't do it with the optional bearing install where its missing one on the tail shaft. And the pistons hold more than you need, and its more in the rings and the pistons being made with lands for your usage.