Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-20-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
ZOOMSS

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
best Beehive springs

So I'm getting a cam and will obviously be needing new springs (660 lift) to go along with it, my question is what springs are going to be the best quality with the longest lifespan? I know Comp recommends replacing theirs about every two years when used with a mild cam like I plan on doing. Is that going to be about the standard regardless of brand or is there a better spring out there such as PAC or BTR?
ZOOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Call BTR. Carries beehives and duals. Best ones.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
With that lift......duals are a must IMO
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
660 isn't really a mild cam.

Springs should be replaced every 20-25k miles either way.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Check out PSI springs as well as PAC and BTR
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
ZOOMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
660 isn't really a mild cam.

Springs should be replaced every 20-25k miles either way.
Sorry I mislabeled that, BTR 660 springs are what GPI sell in their cam swap kits, cam will be right at or below 500 lift in the mid 220s, so mild enough to work in a VVT engine with stock converter. Anyways I have little knowledge of BTR products and just wanted to see what other people's opinions or experiences with them are or if there was a superior product I could look into.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
BTR dual .660"
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:04 AM   #8
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMSS View Post
Sorry I mislabeled that, BTR 660 springs are what GPI sell in their cam swap kits, cam will be right at or below 500 lift in the mid 220s, so mild enough to work in a VVT engine with stock converter. Anyways I have little knowledge of BTR products and just wanted to see what other people's opinions or experiences with them are or if there was a superior product I could look into.

If that .500 lift is not a misprint, then you don't need btr 660 springs .some pac 1218 would be just fine
Old 01-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
SO the cam you want is below stock lift...UGH and you should look at a Howards ASA cam most likely, and the higher the lift the cam the more need for duals, and if you break a beehive its game over ASAP, and changing them out should be use and stress dependent on the longevity. Springs are spec-ed out for cams, >660 would be about over 100 to 120 in excess of a 500 lift cam making for higher pressures and wear for no reason.
A more mild cam as you are thinking would be ok with beehives, and they are good for higher revs which deals with the purpose of the engine; so yes talk to some one at BTR or others don't just buy misc. parts and expect them to be matched perfectly and for longer than a couple years as in more like stock longevity which is a long time......
'
Goodluck
Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
ZOOMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
SO the cam you want is below stock lift...UGH and you should look at a Howards ASA cam most likely, and the higher the lift the cam the more need for duals, and if you break a beehive its game over ASAP, and changing them out should be use and stress dependent on the longevity. Springs are spec-ed out for cams, >660 would be about over 100 to 120 in excess of a 500 lift cam making for higher pressures and wear for no reason.
A more mild cam as you are thinking would be ok with beehives, and they are good for higher revs which deals with the purpose of the engine; so yes talk to some one at BTR or others don't just buy misc. parts and expect them to be matched perfectly and for longer than a couple years as in more like stock longevity which is a long time......
'
Goodluck
Stock l99 cam lift is only like .491 with .200 duration, so anything more would be an improvement and with VVT I can make a small cam behave like a larger one when I need to embarrass my brother in his '16 SS while still keeping it cooperative on the daily commute. GPI has said that their SS.75 or SS.1 VVT cam and BTR 660 springs package will suit my needs, but being a former import tech who's worked for both dealerships and independents, I tend to take whatever someone trying to sell me something says with a grain of salt, which is one of the reasons I've been all over the forums lately, hoping someone will bring up stuff I failed to think about like you have with spring rates. So I will be trying to pry their exact cam specs out of them next time we talk, which is something I have to give props to GPI for, they aren't as dodgy or act shady like some of the other speed shops I've tried to get information from.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Many who did the VVT1 wish they had gone up the food chain to a 2 or 3...sure so you have to deal with other issues...And if your going to deal with the issues anyway such as....are endemic with the l99, your looking at new lifters, changing out the baskets, ditching afm, new cam phaser, maybe new valley cover, or ls3 conversion at least lifter upgrade or you can trust the higher failure rate of the DOD lifters...... And then there is other issues, like say want a higher Rev limit ditch the intake valves for ls3 valves, want to sound cammed? etc......
Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #12
ZOOMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Many who did the VVT1 wish they had gone up the food chain to a 2 or 3...sure so you have to deal with other issues...And if your going to deal with the issues anyway such as....are endemic with the l99, your looking at new lifters, changing out the baskets, ditching afm, new cam phaser, maybe new valley cover, or ls3 conversion at least lifter upgrade or you can trust the higher failure rate of the DOD lifters...... And then there is other issues, like say want a higher Rev limit ditch the intake valves for ls3 valves, want to sound cammed? etc......
I'm ditching all the AFM crap, the failure of that system is what is forcing me to dig into my engine in the first place. It'll be getting the GMPP AFM delete kit with all new non-AFM lifters, trays, valley cover, etc, at nearly 84K miles on the clock though I'm a bit hesitant to go all out and stick a more aggressive cam in.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Then you could go a more safe and drivetrain friendly cam like the ASA cam with a lot more duration and tighter LSA that makes tons more power and has a nice lope...... just a thought....With our stock oil the bores should still be in fairly good shape and you can give them a eyeball when taking the heads off. And then decide if you want to cam it for the next 100000 miles or so with the springs on say a easier ASA cam which nets a crate engine 525 hp I would say the springs would last longer more like 50k compared to 25k spring for higher lift cam.... Just some thoughts. GPI and others have been making VVT cams for a long time now and they are loved by many also..... and some do not require changing out the converter, its all in what you want and what you expect.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Texas Speed is currently redoing our VVT camshaft lineup on the engine dyno! Not to mention we also have the largest lineup of beehives available. There's tons of killer beehive options from PAC!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote