Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
Have you looked into suspension upgrades? A stock 1le is a great track car but like the SS, not so great at drag racing.

Also, is the stang an auto or manual?
Stang is auto. Big advantage I do have BMR Trailing arms and poly inner and outer TA bushings along with ZL1 toe rods. The 1LE/ZL1/(Z28?) bushings are a little firmer than other Camaros.

I only see wheelhop on the stock Goodyears. Of course more boost is coming.

All that power does compress the suspension pretty good on full boost even at 4Lbs.

So far traction has not been a big problem. My car now weighs about 4,000 pounds.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-17-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
You're gonna need some cubic dollars to beat him. If he's only at 490whp, it's only cause he hasn't turned it up to 650 yet. Those 5.0's in auto with a blower run mid 10's super easy. They are the best little drag car Ford has ever built and GM didn't have drag racing in mind for the Camaro5. You can easily turn the power up on yours beyond what he can, but your car gets exponentially harder to hook with all that power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
And the 6R80 trans in the Mustang can take a hell of a lot of punishment directly from the factory before going bye bye. So like others said, next time you run into him he might even have more done.
Yes, he can turn it up. But I think a 5.0 @ 650 RWHP is a bit delicate. Advantage LS3. And my HP is easier on the LS3 given turbos. My turbos are good for 950 RWHP so I'm told (LOL). I would win a power race. He would need an Aluminator Coyote.

Hooking with either car without spending big $$ is the issue. Which is why I started at 4lbs. Right now that is the perfect number for the street. Adjustable boost coming later.

Plus he promised me he would not go bigger boost! Should I trust him? However better DRs are coming for him.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK2DRUL View Post
Great thread. On top of him being one step ahead of you on mods, I think he has the upper hand in driving skill as well. No offense to you, but from how you described it, this guy can drive on top of having a sick car. That's a tough combination to beat. Enjoy your car as it seems like you have what many on this forum would dream to have as well!
I only want to beat him once!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
You win and loose right off the line and his reaction is only part of the equation.

What is your 60 foot time? Every .1 off the 60 = .2 on the big end.

If you are cutting 1.9 60s (you didnt say??) and 12.0s and get get that down to a 1.7 you will see 11.6 or so....run some 1.5s and you are deep 11s easy.

Curios your MPH as well

-Matt
If I leave hard (for me) I am getting 1.85s. I think with a hard launch and some ET streets I think at least mid 1.7s should be doable for me. My best MPH so far is almost 119 (to his 124 LOL). Yes more seat time will get me a better time and so will another 4lbs of boost. The nice thing about my turbo setup is it's nice and smooth. Just roll it on and "Whoosh". Not sure how 9lbs will do. Stress the rear suspension I think. Also weight of the turbos are really low on the car. It handles like before, which is to say fantastic. Although a better with the Goodyears on the back.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #19
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yes, he can turn it up. But I think a 5.0 @ 650 RWHP is a bit delicate. Advantage LS3. And my HP is easier on the LS3 given turbos. My turbos are good for 950 RWHP so I'm told (LOL). I would win a power race. He would need an Aluminator Coyote.

Hooking with either car without spending big $$ is the issue. Which is why I started at 4lbs. Right now that is the perfect number for the street. Adjustable boost coming later.

Plus he promised me he would not go bigger boost! Should I trust him? However better DRs are coming for him.
remember power isn't everything, For all you know, he could be on the stock 3.15 rear end still, (or 3.31s) He could easily swap those out for 3.73s or even 4.10s( that would be a bit steep IMO but he could do it).
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
What you need to do is build a L99 the exact same way you have built your LS3, then you will be able to give him a good run. Keeping your present combination plan on breaking axles, rear-ends, and smoking your clutch trying. Because you are going to have to launch much harder, 1:60s 60' will be needed.

Remember GMRULZ's L99 I watched him tear off 10:80s after 10:80s with nothing more than DRs, LTs, and a low boost Whipple. I think he launched at 1000-rpms , if you want to build a street/strip SS Camaro this is the template.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #21
Fraxum

BTW, my car is stock with the original manifolds. So my mods are 850 CC injectors, DRs, and 2 Turbos.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #22
familycaronROIDS!
CMS built

Drives: 13 5.0
I guarantee you he is pushing a little more than 490rwhp lol don't believe the hype buddy. With the stock bottom end and a 2.3 roush blower on pump gas 91 I was putting down about 575rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Then CMS built me a bottom end upgraded to a 2.9 whipple and now I'm making 490 rwhp on 91oct.....

wrenched & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports
familycaronROIDS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
remember power isn't everything, For all you know, he could be on the stock 3.15 rear end still, (or 3.31s) He could easily swap those out for 3.73s or even 4.10s( that would be a bit steep IMO but he could do it).
Yes, he still has the 3.15 rear. Correction: the optional 3.31s

Last edited by Fraxum; 05-16-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
What you need to do is build a L99 the exact same way you have built your LS3, then you will be able to give him a good run. Keeping your present combination plan on breaking axles, rear-ends, and smoking your clutch trying. Because you are going to have to launch much harder, 1:60s 60' will be needed.

Remember GMRULZ's L99 I watched him tear off 10:80s after 10:80s with nothing more than DRs, LTs, and a low boost Whipple. I think he launched at 1000-rpms , if you want to build a street/strip SS Camaro this is the template.
But that would be too easy! Just kidding. I like the challenge of the M6.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #25
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycaronROIDS! View Post
I guarantee you he is pushing a little more than 490rwhp lol don't believe the hype buddy. With the stock bottom end and a 2.3 roush blower on pump gas 91 I was putting down about 575rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Then CMS built me a bottom end upgraded to a 2.9 whipple and now I'm making 490 rwhp on 91oct.....
Here I didn't trust him. I asked for his dyno sheet. Yep 490 and his before dyno was 390 when he was running high 11s. My numbers were 422 (boltons, no tune) and 547 on a Dynojet. I think his was a Dynojet too. He asked for the smallest Paxton centrifugal, whichever that one is, or so he said.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #26
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Here I didn't trust him. I asked for his dyno sheet. Yep 490 and his before dyno was 390 when he was running high 11s. My numbers were 422 (boltons, no tune) and 547 on a Dynojet. I think his was a Dynojet too. He asked for the smallest Paxton centrifugal, whichever that one is, or so he said.
Dyno numbers dont mean anything but they will get you in the ballpark.....I have had low dyno numbered cars from a heart breaker dyno that killed cars that made more power on a different dyno.

His 124 trap speed is what you should be chasing instead....
Old 05-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #27
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I say pull the pin and go big. It may end in a fireball but you'll beat and that's all that matters.

In all seriousness anything can be done and above comment about cubic $$ is a great way of putting it. They are a good competitor with the way the Mustangs are set up but you could always invite him to a track day so he knows how it feels

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #28
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
Just be glad that he didn't do twin turbos as well....

OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote