Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #43
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wijg View Post
I think the other thing to consider is that people tend to expect different things from their Hondas versus a ZL1. I have owned mostly Chevy's and Hondas (plus a Lexus). My Hondas were great, very low maintenance (repair wise). I bought them to be exactly that, reliable transportation. If the suspension was not performing 100%, the odds are less I am going to notice it on the Honda versus a car I bought for the performance aspect.
Well that the thing. I think most people are less sensitive with those cars. They drive around with worn motor mounts and suspension and are not as sensitive to it. I agree that 44K is premature but how the car was used and treated matters. But to say you have 150K on a car and the suspension isn't worn isn't grounded in reality.

As for motor mounts. I don't know what to tell you. I have done them on a Nissan Maxima a Honda Civic and a Toyota Sienna around that mileage. Both the civic and Sienna needed wheel bearings before 100K as well. Alternator was dead around 80K on the civic and I think the IAC somewhere around that on the civic.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #44
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I don't know what to tell you either but I have personally experienced much greater longevity with my Hondas and toyotas.. They have a reputation for a reason.

But all that aside These freaking ZL1's are a bad ass car and it will cost a little more for some items when it does come time to fix. I know I knew that going in. I am one that wished you could get the car without the mag - ride as well. Love it now but not looking forward to the replacement bill even doing my own work.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #45
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
I don't know what to tell you either but I have personally experienced much greater longevity with my Hondas and toyotas.. They have a reputation for a reason.

But all that aside These freaking ZL1's are a bad ass car and it will cost a little more for some items when it does come time to fix. I know I knew that going in. I am one that wished you could get the car without the mag - ride as well. Love it now but not looking forward to the replacement bill even doing my own work.
Some of that reputation comes from the dark age of american cars. I don't believe their reputation is deserved. Have you seen how many class action lawsuits Honda has been involved in or Toyota?

I was lucky enough to not have transmission issues, but two other honda's ended up with dead transmissions. One at 80K and the other just above 60K.

This is from cars that generally lag behind in things such as standard features, horsepower, and fit and finish. You may agree here, but Honda has some of the thinnest and cheapest sheet metal I have seen on a car.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #46
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
You can buy them on Amazon for $212 each

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-580-38...ype=automotive
gblaue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #47
Jetcop20
Jetcop20

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
Really

Kool mine has 4000 plus miles all from a trip down to Key West...hell with the vehicles I have on hand I can't see reaching the mileage problem for 10 yrs or so
Jetcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #48
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:

Mag ride is one of the things that defines this car. It truly makes this modern day muscle car what it is.... and That's a bad ass machine That rides and handles better then exotics and equally to higher priced luxury cars. Not to have it would simply mean to strip it's badges away. Wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Some of that reputation comes from the dark age of american cars. I don't believe their reputation is deserved. Have you seen how many class action lawsuits Honda has been involved in or Toyota?

+1....

This is from cars that generally lag behind in things such as standard features, horsepower, and fit and finish. You may agree here, but Honda has some of the thinnest and cheapest sheet metal I have seen on a car.
+1.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #49
JackalopeZL1

It helps in the ride department and I like it.. but it does not help in the handling department. . Just ask the z28 guys.. I like it but I don't buy into all the hype.. and that amazon add is nice too see above..

People can make them selves belive what ever they want.. my experience even though the American cars are getting closer is the Japanese cars have had generally a better quality, fit and finish. . IMO American cars still have some catching up to do period.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #50
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
It helps in the ride department and I like it.. but it does not help in the handling department. . Just ask the z28 guys.. I like it but I don't buy into all the hype.. and that amazon add is nice too see above..

People can make them selves belive what ever they want.. my experience even though the American cars are getting closer is the Japanese cars have had generally a better quality, fit and finish. . IMO American cars still have some catching up to do period.
Couldn't disagree more... but I'll just leave it at that.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #51
CRTZL1
Banned

You should of just got an SS and slapped a supercharger on it ...that would of taken care of your dreaded magnetic ride..

Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #52
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
You can buy them on Amazon for $212 each

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-580-38...ype=automotive
If you check the boxes in the upper left corner and enter the details for a ZL1, it'll tell you they do NOT fit.
(at least for my 2013 ZL1 convertible)
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #53
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Since I routinely drive my car to work whenever the weather is good and try and get at least a couple of HPDE's a year, I will definitely stock up on these at this price savings from amazon for sure. Great deal but ship time is 1-2 months so gotta plan ahead.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 10-20-2014 at 10:40 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #54
vatechguy3

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
I went through the check boxes.

It says it does not fit a 2014 camaro
It says it does fit a 2012 camaro ZL1
It says it does not fit a 2012 camaro LT
It says it does fit a 2012 camaro SS

FYI.
I have not verified whether that ac delco part number checks out.
But i will be checking that later!
$200 is pretty cheap compared to $1k.

Tony

2001 Z28 M6
!cags, !air, FTP 85mm Lid, Z06 85mm MAF, P&P TB
!4x4, Strano Springs, Strano Sways, Koni 4/4s, Watts Link
ARH LTs, ARH catted Y, SLP catback with Dual/Dual Muffler, SLP CME and Valance
OE Wheels Machined Face C5 DDs, 18x10.5s, with 295/35-18s on all 4 corners!
352rwhp and 366rwtq
vatechguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #55
hognutz

these threads get kind of out of control.

1. 44k is too soon can't be argued. struts should last 80-100k

anybody who says "I have had stuts last 150-200k need to rethink there logic as they may have lasted that long but chances are there performance had fallen off way before then.

2. going to the dealership and buying parts for this car is a good way to fleeced. always check amazon. for this car on brakes and suspension it can save you literally $500 on a repair.

3. mag ride is a great mix of performance to comfort.

if you argue this point in my opinion you are a complete retard. it is the not the best performing or the most comfortable but it is the best of both worlds I have driven yet.

4. MAG ride is not cheap at all but at the same time a premium coilover is not either. they will also fail at some point.

5. honda's and toyota's have no power at all, In any model so arguing the qualty between the two is wierd. they make decent cars but 80lbs or torque does not wear components the same.

I can't understand even bring up turds like that in argument about perfromnce cars. I wish 600hp cars built in the thousands had the same qualty as 150hp cars built in the millions but I don't see it happening.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #56
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
I agree that GM and Ford have closed the gap and I will look at GM when my wife's next car is due. I was a diehard GM guy until my 96 Firebird V6 fell apart at 36,001 miles with three big ticket repairs. Then my attitude changed to "If it is a front wheel drive, basic transportation I'm buying the most reliable."

As for your bad luck with Honda, take it as that. I noticed you break engine mounts, transmissions and suspension components so you may have a aggressive driving style than my wife. A 4 cylinder car also has lesser components throughout compared to a 6. Wife's car had no problems at 150k and I did drive it on weekend so I know how it preformed. My cars are denied nothing so if it needed parts, it would have gotten them. And consider that at 150K it was time for it to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
Higher performance, tighter tolerances, easier to wear out to keep in proper performance. Look at other high end cars, they require replacement of items well before that mileage. Even my sway bushings which perform better than my oe bushings wore out requiring replacement. 44K is early but not out of the question. At least you are not doing a 4K timing belt replacement every 30k miles...
Considering the load those mag shocks are dampening on a ZL1 rear axle, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised to see early failures

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 10-20-2014 at 01:15 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown, struts, zl1