Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2018, 05:47 AM   #15
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
What was the symptom(s) of the first pump's failure? The 2nd &3rd pump failures were probably due to dealer mech not setting the pump tube onto the flange correctly ...common for guys that aren't aware to oil the o-ring and of the need to make sure of an absolute perfect fitting of the o-ring into the flange.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #16
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Shot in the dark.....maybe as simple as replacing a starter and/or battery?
And, why would a dealer be billing GMPP?
And, is this a new engine they are talking about tearing down, or did they 'rebuild' your engine the first time?
Maybe I missed something.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
striker1le

Drives: '17 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
What was the symptom(s) of the first pump's failure? The 2nd &3rd pump failures were probably due to dealer mech not setting the pump tube onto the flange correctly ...common for guys that aren't aware to oil the o-ring and of the need to make sure of an absolute perfect fitting of the o-ring into the flange.
The initial symptoms seemed just like a faulty sensor because the warning "low oil pressure" would pop and then disappear in less than a minute. But I didn't take any chances, I dropped off the car at the dealership the next morning. So I basically had the chance to see that error pop up in the dash maybe only 3 times. And that happened in march of this year at 66k.

The second time the same error popped up was in August. I could hear a audible ticking sound from the engine. This time I towed the car to the same dealership. And the dealer said the oil was low and that's why there wasn't enough oil causing the issue which to me didn't seem like a plausible cause because I checked the dipstick before towing and the oil life was between 15-20% as indicated in the dash I think. But I didn't care much at that time and went on with it.

The third time happened in October. And this time, I didn't want to take chances with the same dealership. So I got it towed to Boardwalk this time. Their initial diagnosis was the oil pump as well. After I told them this same issue had already happened twice this year, they checked the internals of the engine and found it to be damaged.
striker1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
striker1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Shot in the dark.....maybe as simple as replacing a starter and/or battery?
And, why would a dealer be billing GMPP?
And, is this a new engine they are talking about tearing down, or did they 'rebuild' your engine the first time?
Maybe I missed something.
My car was covered under GMPP. But since it was an oil pump failure again, it had one year warranty from GM. So they billed GM for the repair involved (including new engine).

And yes, tearing down the new engine. they didn't rebuild the engine. it's got a new serial number
Old 12-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #19
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1le View Post
The initial symptoms seemed just like a faulty sensor because the warning "low oil pressure" would pop and then disappear in less than a minute. But I didn't take any chances, I dropped off the car at the dealership the next morning. So I basically had the chance to see that error pop up in the dash maybe only 3 times. And that happened in march of this year at 66k.

The second time the same error popped up was in August. I could hear a audible ticking sound from the engine. This time I towed the car to the same dealership. And the dealer said the oil was low and that's why there wasn't enough oil causing the issue which to me didn't seem like a plausible cause because I checked the dipstick before towing and the oil life was between 15-20% as indicated in the dash I think. But I didn't care much at that time and went on with it.

The third time happened in October. And this time, I didn't want to take chances with the same dealership. So I got it towed to Boardwalk this time. Their initial diagnosis was the oil pump as well. After I told them this same issue had already happened twice this year, they checked the internals of the engine and found it to be damaged.
Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood and thought the dealer replaced the pump the first 2 times. What did the dealer do the 1st time it happened? and did the dealer do an oil change the 2nd time or put in oil ?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #20
striker1le

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood and thought the dealer replaced the pump the first 2 times. What did the dealer do the 1st time it happened? and did the dealer do an oil change the 2nd time or put in oil ?
The first time in March, the dealer replaced the oil pump. That was covered under GMPP.

The second time in August, the dealer changed oil.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #21
camguynj

Quote:
The first time in March, the dealer replaced the oil pump. That was covered under GMPP.

The second time in August, the dealer changed oil.
Seems like the original pump failed on its own (again very troubling after that many miles) like silent ticking time bombs. They're made by Melling for GM but they not CNC ported as the Melling name brand pumps are. Highly likely and gotta believe the replacement pump pickup tube o-ring wasn't set right by the dealer mech and starting leaking during over the next few mos it was in causing the 2nd problem. Good you took it to another dealer and got a new engine under warranty and not just another pump.

Hope you find the cause of the starting noise. Post followups.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:43 AM   #22
striker1le

Quote:
Seems like the original pump failed on its own (again very troubling after that many miles) like silent ticking time bombs. They're made by Melling for GM but they not CNC ported as the Melling name brand pumps are. Highly likely and gotta believe the replacement pump pickup tube o-ring wasn't set right by the dealer mech and starting leaking during over the next few mos it was in causing the 2nd problem. Good you took it to another dealer and got a new engine under warranty and not just another pump.

Hope you find the cause of the starting noise. Post followups.
I got an update today from GM that they are willing to repurchase or replace the vehicle under CA lemon law.

Took me by surprise but I'm not really sure what this means for a car with high mileage like mine. The lemon law for a new car that's defective seems straight forward.

Do the same laws apply in my case ?
Should I opt for repurchase or replacement car ?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #23
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
I got an update today from GM that they are willing to repurchase or replace the vehicle under CA lemon law.

Took me by surprise but I'm not really sure what this means for a car with high mileage like mine. The lemon law for a new car that's defective seems straight forward.

Do the same laws apply in my case ?
Should I opt for repurchase or replacement car ?
If repurchase from you, at what price? Same as if a trade-in or same as their selling price as a comparable used vehicle?

If replacement, I would hesitate to do anything other than a Certified, one-owner car.

In either case, tough decision.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #24
camguynj

Don’t know about Lemon Law in CA but you’re golden with the letter from GM. Only way I would accept a replacement was if it was a newer year with low mileage, came with an extended warranty, was a car you REALLY wanted and you could have it checked out privately at GMs expense. Only way I would keep your car is if GM reset the clock on your warranty. Even then starting noise is abnormal and IMO is a portend of more bad to come.
Good luck with your decision! Post an update on what you decide.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #25
striker1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
If repurchase from you, at what price? Same as if a trade-in or same as their selling price as a comparable used vehicle?

If replacement, I would hesitate to do anything other than a Certified, one-owner car.

In either case, tough decision.

CA lemon law and GM's letter states the replacement car be new and substantially identical to the consumer’s previous vehicle with all express and implied warranties that would normally accompany a new motor vehicle of that make and model.

But there's also a statement that says if I choose either option, the manufacturer is entitled to use a usage formula to deduct a mileage offset.

So, at this point, I don't know what I'm getting myself into
Old 12-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #26
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Don’t worry in advance. Let this play out. The “offset” is depreciation of course. Just because they’re entitled (which is fair) doesn’t mean they will. I got caught in this situation with defective tires from Goodyear. I did not take their initial offer. I love a good negotiation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #27
striker1le

Thanks guys. Hope it works out good
Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #28
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:

I drove mine like a jerk and never lost an oil pump

It is a hit and miss issue on LS3's, but I'd hardly call it a common problem unless you go to a bigger cam without buying a upgraded pump.