Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
adbarnett5

Drives: 2018 LT
Small amount of hesitation

Hey guys Thank you for all the helpful information over the years. Recently I came here to replace my third brake light for inspection which by God they thankfully eventually realized they should put in the trunk... anyway;

So I have a 2011 Camaro with about 120k miles and I'm going to get a new car in a couple years when I graduate from school. Not looking to do anything major to the car here!

I have noticed a slight bit of HESITATION, SOMETIMES when I am starting the car up. MOST of the time it starts immediately and like I am used to. One time about a week ago, I got a warning message about general maintenance, but wasn't really sure what it said, because after the car started the message went away. The check engine light is not on.

So the question is, what are some simple cheap things I can do to make sure I get thru the next couple years? Can spark plugs do this?

I am really good about the general maintenance and checking the fluids every couple weeks, and have not done anything major to the car for about 60k miles. I got the car at about 60k miles.
adbarnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Car is possible 8 years old depending when built. May be your battery but you can take it to auto zone or local parts store and they can tell you what code popped up.
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
If you're using the OEM battery, it's probably time to replace it. I replaced mine last year, it was a good battery, bought another GM AGM battery to replace it.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I would say it needs a major induction cleaning service done to it. With 120K miles and no catch can (if you don't have one), the valves are probably gunked up pretty bad.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
adbarnett5

Drives: 2018 LT
Is there a easy way to have the battery tested for strength? And what about inspecting the valves for gunk? Don't have a catch, pretty sure car is 100% factory.

I think the battery might be getting weak. Usually when it gets cold and the battery is weak it starts having issues.

The only code the car has ever thrown are the codes for the catalytic converters below threshold.
adbarnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
I would almost bet that your valves, intake manifold and throttle body are pretty gunky after that many miles. It’s pretty simple to remove and clean your throttle body and intake manifold, but valves may be a little more tricky depending on your experience level. You can search that up and there are a couple articles on here. Getting a catch can will help prevent future oil from gunking up those parts and isn’t too expensive. You can go to Autozone and they will test your battery in the parking lot. I just had mine tested the other day and it was bad so I just replaced it, simple as that! My battery was about 5.5 years old, 55k miles on it.
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbarnett5 View Post
Is there a easy way to have the battery tested for strength? And what about inspecting the valves for gunk? Don't have a catch, pretty sure car is 100% factory.

I think the battery might be getting weak. Usually when it gets cold and the battery is weak it starts having issues.

The only code the car has ever thrown are the codes for the catalytic converters below threshold.
If you have the original battery in a 2011, don't bother testing. Just replace it! You are already deep into borrowed time on it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote