Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #29
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Diagram above is great for explaining.

first the tee is used to combine the green hose and the blue one from the valley pan. The blue hose on the manifold its self is blocked off with the cap. So now the green hose and blue hose go to one side of the catch can. The other side of the can has a short hose and filter on the end. This is used for allowing the system to breath. Could be hooked back into the intake manifold or intake piping if wanted too. No harm if done that way.
Isn't the connection to the intake manifold used for creating a suction to aid in relieving crank case pressure? If you just vent it to atmosphere, you decrease it's affectiveness. I'm not sure if there's enough vent pressure to relieve itself properly though.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #30
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
just purchased a catch can from elite engineering. will update this thread once i have installed it. thanks for all the great info guys!
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #31
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
SC2150: Thanks for the diagrams that helped me a lot.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #32
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Isn't the connection to the intake manifold used for creating a suction to aid in relieving crank case pressure? If you just vent it to atmosphere, you decrease it's affectiveness. I'm not sure if there's enough vent pressure to relieve itself properly though.

You are correct. Go to the link I posted and read the complete explanation of how a PCV system works and what it does. Most only think you need to relieve excess crankcase pressure but if you do not flush out the nasty combustion by-products every time you shut down & the motor cools all the flashed off crap re-condenses into your oil & on your internal parts drastically reducing the life of the motor. You MUST have a vacuum suction on one side & a clean filtered fresh air source on the other.

As for the Elite can, it is very well built & looks nice, but is only marginally effective due to the small size & the internal design. It may be enough to work well enough on a new motor, but as it ages and there is more crankcase pressure it will still let a good amount of oil through. You can test these against each other with a clear fuel filter (the inline kind with the white filter in them) and you will see ONLY the SaikouMicchi & the RevXtreme cans truely remove nearly ALL the oil. Anything less and some still gets through....but any are better than none.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #33
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
no one answered my question whats the difference between the ones on ebaqy and the ones from elite?

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #34
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
no one answered my question whats the difference between the ones on ebaqy and the ones from elite?
The ebay cans are just that, empty cans with 2 fittings in them..simple fluid overflow cans such as we are required to use for coolant, trans vents, etc. in NHRA & IHRA competiton. They look nice, but if you took a beer can and added two fittings you accomplish the same thing. The vapors come in one fitting, and go right out the other with very little condensing the vapors so the oil droplets fall out of suspension. I would estimat 60-70% of the oil goes right through into the intake. They will catch some...ANY container that you would plumb inline will catch some.

The Elite can has a seperated inlet & outlet and has a piece of filter media to help trap & coalese the oil, but it is far to small (less than 1 pint) to be truely effective. And the filter media quickly becomes saturated and allows droplets to be pulled out the outlet. It is FAR better than anything I have seen on ebay, and probably catches 80 plus % of the oil, but to be truely effective you need a minimum of 1 qt capacity (1/2 gal for road racers) and an internal baffeling & dispersion system so the vapors slow down & cool enough to allow the oil to drop out of suspension. Only 2 cans on the market offer this. The SaikuMicchi & The RevXtreme. The RevXtreme goes a few steps further with an extra disc baffeling that seperates the condensing chamber from the outlet chamber, and an integrated PCV/checkvalve that controls the amount of flow & prevents any back-flow or reversion. And it is one of the lowest priced.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #35
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
where can i find either one of those?

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #36
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
where can i find either one of those?

Many vendors carry the RevXtreme, Byunspeed, Hinson supercars, Vengance, etc. or direct from RevXtreme: 941-753-5255. Price is $89.95 until Jan 1, then goes to $99.95 complete w/everything you need.

The carbon fiber finish is $199.95.

www.RevXtreme.com
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #37
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
Anyone do the RevXtreme catch can install yet? Does the RevXtreme universal bracket work well with the 5th gen LS3 motors? Not sure the best location to mount the catch can!

what about the Mini Breather Filter? Does it serve a purpose apart from making the engine bay filthy?

http://www.revxtreme.com/LS%20oil%20cap%20with%20breather.jpg

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #38
Wileytrigger21

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT / RS, Blk 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
Anyone do the RevXtreme catch can install yet? Does the RevXtreme universal bracket work well with the 5th gen LS3 motors? Not sure the best location to mount the catch can!

what about the Mini Breather Filter? Does it serve a purpose apart from making the engine bay filthy?

http://www.revxtreme.com/LS%20oil%20cap%20with%20breather.jpg
+1
Wileytrigger21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Forgive the ignorant question: but exactly what performance benefit does this offer, and how will it effect fuel economy/longevity of the engine?

Thanks for the writeup, Lawdog!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #40
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
can you email me the files. i have the L99. thanks. rwham15@aol.com
Old 01-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #41
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Me too please! Can you email me the files. i have the LS3. thanks.

Also, RevXtremehas LOTS of models! Which one do you recommend?

Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #42
AquaSSRS

Drives: formerly a AGM ZL1 (sold)
great mod

Hey guys this is a great mod and one of the first I will do to my camaro. I have a BT catch can on my '06 charger and the stuff it catches and keeps out of the motor is awesome. This is what it caught on my charger in only maybe 2000 or 3000 miles.
Attached Images

AquaSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote