Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
Quick dealer/ GM question... IM PISSED. What should i do

Okay, so basically i feel like i got screwed by my dealer when i was buying my 2SS.

What happened was i owned a 2011 v6 but wanted to upgrade, but only wanted to do it if the prices at least made a little sense. So I found a 3rd party buyer to buy my v6. Anyways, the day before i sold it i went into the dealer, told them my situation, and said i was only going to sell my v6 the next day if the price was right on the 2013 2SS.

So we came to an agreement on 38k out the door on the new whip. They shook my hand and said it was a done deal (two sales men witnessed it and both shook my hand. No confusion. I even reiterated before i left, after the hand shake, that if i sold the v6 the next day i would for sure get the v8 the next day for 38k out the door, no questions asked. Again, they both agreed and said it was a done deal)

So the next day i sold my v6 and my wife dropped me off at the dealership to buy the new v8.

At that point they said they was no way i could realistically get that price, that the two sales men and made a mistake, that i should've gotten what they had agreed to in writing, that it was my fault that i didn't get it in writing, and that i had to pay just under $41,000 for the car. I'VE NEVER FELT SO CHEATED IN MY LIFE. What they did was so unethical, wrong, and insanely bad business. I was so upset. I am buying a truck in the next few months and i wanted a Chevy, but now i don't just because of this. I was PISSED. LIVID!! Argued for over an hour, but i was without a car now since i had already sold my v6 and didn't have a choice if i wanted the v8. I've really never experienced anything so wrong in my life. And i'm a young guy. I've already bought two chevys and will be buying many, many, many more cars in my life.

So now the question. After i bought the car, they bribed me with free oil changes, and a few other free things if i would give them a good review on GM's survey which will be coming in the mail. They told me the good review was CRITICAL to them, and that they would rather not sell a car, then sell a car and get a bad review. I don't really know how greatly a bad review impacts their business, but it sounds like it is a huge deal to them.

A week later they even had another guy call me and said he'd almost give me whatever i want if i put completely satisfied on question 10 and 14 (i believe).

Again, i'm PISSED at the dealership and want to give them the worst review i can for screwing me out of 3k. Should i say screw it, what is done is done, and take the free stuff??? Or make myself feel better and give them the horrible review that they deserve??

If i tell GM the truth will they try to make it up to me in anyway?? Or by giving the dealership a bad review only make me feel better, hopefully get them in trouble, and i'll loose out on some free oil changes and the other free stuff the guy told me he would give me???

Thanks for you input. Sorry for the long read.

Last edited by thepirate; 09-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.
thepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Beezwax

Drives: Public Transportation
here is my .02..

I am a Chevy Sales Manager and i can tell you this... it's always better to go back and fix an issue then get flamed on a survey... survey's last for up to 90 days and can have a huge impact on dealerships SEO and Inventory... i would go straight to the GM, tell them what happened... 9.5/10 they GM will cut the deal back to make the customer happy.

A happy customer is a customer for life.... do what you have to do...

Thanks for listening
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
I have had a similiar thing happen to me. Promised the car at one price but when it came down to it, the line was the sales person had made a mistake and we could not have the car at that price. For another $2000 the car was ours. I walked out and kept on shopping at other dealers. A persons word or handshake should seal the deal. I finally found a no nonsense dealership and bought the car there. I don't like the games these dealers play.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
I agree with "beezwax", go that way first and tell them directly everything you just stated here. I hope GM will take car of you and for sure.....I would not deal with this dealership for ANY THING because...well..as they say...if they screw you once they will screw you again!!!! I hope you have another dealer near you and this is not the only one you have with in driving a short distance.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sorry to hear about your experience, but dang, a "done deal" handshake doesn't mean a stinking thing in today's society. This isn't the JFK era when a handshake actually had some real meaning.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Well I learned early on never take any deal on word of the salesperson. Always get a signed deal sheet with the sales managers signature on it. The sales person cannot approve the deal just on his word. Just one of the harsh realities of car buying. The old adage "Get it in writing" still holds true.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I was going to say "In before you should have gotten the deal in writing..."

It really sucks to read about your situation, and I would be super pissed as well and just would have started swinging. It sounds like they want to bribe you into giving a good review, but if they want you to play ball, you gotta make them play ball as well.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
I understand you were without a car since you sold yours, but I don't understand why you still bought a car from this dealer after they changed the deal. Plenty of other dealers out there. If your state is the same as mine, you could have also received tax credit if you had traded in. Since you already had a buyer, you could have made an agreement with the dealership to accept your trade and sell it to the other guy at the same price saving you money.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I seriously can't believe that you bought the car from them. They literally strong-armed you out of $3k, and you let them.

Very unethical of the dealer, but you ultimately should have turned on your heels and walked out the door, marched down to the next dealer of your choice, and made a ground-up deal with the new dealer.

I feel for you, man, but if you handed them money then the whole problem was caused by you. I wouldn't let them offer me squat in exchange for a good score. I'd burn them at the stake, so maybe next time they won't pull some crooked shit like that.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
I would ask for some free accessories to go along with the oil changes
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Gotta agree with others here.
Why did you even buy the car at 3k more?
As soon as they said 41K I would have walked out that door.

I have agreed on an OTD price and then walked because they added a $200 doc fee.

What's done is done now, go talk to the GM if you want, but they got your money and won't be returning any of it.

You agreed to let them screw you.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
Yeah, trust me, I know there are many things I should have done different. I'm almost just as pissed at myself.

Thank you all for the advice. Unfortunately I can't change the mistakes I personally made, however I'm still trying to decide how to deal with the upcoming situation...
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'd ride them hard. First take all the free stuff you can (get that in writing), then jump your complaint to GM management and then fill out the survey when the time comes the way you think it should be filled out not the way they want you to.

I hate this pressure over the survey crap. In fact I have better things to do with my time and throw almost all surveys in the trash.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
purkel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
i would give them a negative review.

sorry, they shouldnt have played games with you. i would have walked out the door, and gone to another dealership to buy the car.
purkel is offline   Reply With Quote