Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #113
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
really Pete? That's great news. You using the Quantum kit also?
Nah, from the other Pete, SSSoon
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #114
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Life keeps getting in the way, but got the assembly that will fit on the back of the bumper together. Kinda went nuts with the JB Weld and it dripped everywhere, but nobody will ever see that part.

The way I have it set up, the outlet points down at an angle, so will make it easier to route the hose without a big angle coming right off the duct.

No point cutting open the bumper this weekend as temps are way below what I'd need to glue the ducts in. Maybe next weekend. For now, time to change the rotor rings...
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #115
SSSoon

Quote:
I am looking at my ZL1 cooling intake. I'll have to see if it was a waste of money for those or If I can modify them to work.
I bet that you could cut the ZL1 channels before the dump out at the wheel well and re-route the hose in to the Quantum attachment point.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #116
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
the only trick is the ZL1 ducts are rectangles.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #117
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
i used the quantum kit as well. only got 5 laps on it before mechanical failure else where so i didnt get to jot down any reduction in temps
Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #118
franknbeans
Whipped

Got an update on this Pete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Step by step DIY to follow.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #119
SSSoon

Quote:
Got an update on this Pete?
I think you're mixed up between me (Sssoon/Pete) and him (JusticePete).

I'll post the rest of my DIY as I get around to it in the coming weeks. Too damn cold to glue anything outdoors right now, and the glue has huge noxious death warnings on it so I don't want to do it indoors

Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #120
SSSoon

Electrical working

Small progress - got all the wiring done. The ACS folks suggest just cutting the OEM DRL wires and attaching their connector to the end, but I hate trying to work in very constrained spaces, so I wired up a small connector that plugs in where the OEM DRL plug used to go, and the other end is the WeatherPack connector that ACS supplied. Note that you need a special WeatherPack crimping tool to get the spears onto the wires correctly. Would not have wanted to try it with pliers. All looks good. Still waiting for warmer weather to cut the bumper and glue the new ducts in. Maybe this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #121
franknbeans
Whipped

Looking good.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #122
SSSoon

Cutting the holes

Got tired of waiting for good weather, so started cutting the holes in the bumper. The templates that come with the T4 kits are atrocious - off by a lot. I guess that's why the instructions say to cut 1/4 inch smaller than the template outline and then do the rest of the fitting a bit at a time. Cut with a dremel, and then with a box cutter for the finer work of shaving it bigger. Used a small orbital sander to get the edges even. Will still have some final tweaking to do when the bumper is off and I can easily get at both sides. But the best thing I did to get the hole in the right spot is put the inside piece up against the back of the bumper, to see where it should fit.

Hard to make the first cut. Just kept thinking, "wow, I could be ruining a perfectly good bumper here". Just had to keep going and it turned out good, I think.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #123
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I finally got around to installing my JDP Quantum kit! The install was pretty straight forward with the help from studying the pics posted here and on other threads. Removed the front clip in 1/2 hour, installed the heat shields in 1/2 hour , the duct inlets took about an hour. Thankfully the whole assembly can be removed from the front end with 4 plastic fasteners! The hose routing was easy and I routed it like the pictures from JDP. Here's some pics.

For the OP, I highly recommend this kit! It's easy to install and reasonably priced!
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #124
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Nice work Mike. Looks good. I take it your back is feeling better. I'll PM you in the next day or two with what I've come up with for a Watkins Glen schedule.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #125
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
Nice work Mike. Looks good. I take it your back is feeling better. I'll PM you in the next day or two with what I've come up with for a Watkins Glen schedule.
Yep, feeling better! I'll be looking for your PM!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #126
SSSoon

Bonding in T4 ports

Well, I don't think I was cut out to be a body man. Boy this has been a PITA. Got the T4 ports glued in, now just waiting for everything to set. But it sure is different than working with nuts and bolts. If you ever consider doing this, some suggestions:

- The ACS paper template for where the holes go is pretty much worthless.
- Do not do what I did: cut the holes while the bumper is on the car. I was wrong about where the holes went, but luckily had enough bumper material left to get the holes expanded in the right place without it being obvious from the outside. Whew. If you do it with the bumper off the car, you can check with the back piece much more effectively, to make sure you're getting it right.
- Actually clamping down the outer and inner pieces in exactly the right spot takes more skill than I have (and may be a two-man job). I did several dry runs and couldn't do it - the pieces kept shifting around. So, I used some JB Weld to epoxy in the outer (front) piece in place, just at the top, so that it wouldn't move when clamping. Worked great.
- Since the top was epoxied in place, only had to clamp the bottom.
- Note the inner unit is not actually glued to the bumper - it's glued to the outer unit, as per ACS instructions. That way you can fix the gaps between the outer piece and the bumper by shimming from the inside to push the bumper up against the outer unit.
- ACS suggests 12 minute working time for the adhesive, but at about 60 degree outdoor temp in the sunshine, my test piece is still goey after half an hour.

My bumper has easily 50+ rock dings in it so I wasn't super concerned about this looking perfect, but it will honestly look pretty good (from more than 3 feet away it will look damn near perfect, except one nasty scratch from a utility knife... sigh).
Attached Images

Last edited by SSSoon; 02-02-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Tags
brake, ducts