Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
jbassking

Drives: 2012 SS
What's the trick to getting the timing chain back on the cam gear?

I swapped out my cam for a TSP Stage I. I couldn't see the timing marks on the crank so I lined up the arrow on the cam gear straight up and down.
I put the Comp Cam's Phaser limiter in the VVT.

Now I have to get the gear back on the chain with it being lined up. The slight problem I'm having is I can't figure out how.
The cam has a small pin which I assume has to go in a hole in the gear but it seems too far in. I can't get it to engage it. The pin looks the same as the cam I took out.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!
jbassking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
The chain needs to be on the crank gear and the cam gear before you bolt on the cam gear, it might take a try or two before your marks are lined up.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
jbassking

But I can't get the cam dowel pin into the gear. Is the cam too far into the engine?
Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
jbassking

Ok so I got the chain on the gear in the same position it was but how do I know if the cam is in the correct position?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE

Dots (pointer on cam gear) line up...

Cam to crank gear...

Best guide on doing the cam...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #6
Dylan1214

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbassking View Post
I swapped out my cam for a TSP Stage I. I couldn't see the timing marks on the crank so I lined up the arrow on the cam gear straight up and down.
I put the Comp Cam's Phaser limiter in the VVT.

Now I have to get the gear back on the chain with it being lined up. The slight problem I'm having is I can't figure out how.
The cam has a small pin which I assume has to go in a hole in the gear but it seems too far in. I can't get it to engage it. The pin looks the same as the cam I took out.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!
I know exactly what your talking about, anyone who's swapped an L99 has to go through this. Pull the cam out as much as you can and do your best to get the dowel/pin into the phaser/gear. there's really no way to tell if its in. Just try your best and when you think its lined up torque her down and pray lol...
MODS: GPI MAX Package ported and milled heads+(229/250,111 LSA),Johnson 2110 Lifters,BTR .660 Springs,CHE Trunnions,C5R chain,DSX Flex Fuel kit,LSA Injectors,ZL1 Fuel Pump,MAMO Ported MSD Intake manifold,BOWhite ported Throttle body,25% UDP,CAI Intake,Intake Scoop,Kooks 1 7/8 headers,Borla attak catback,Elite catch can,BMR Motor mounts,CircleD 5C 4000-4200 Torque converter,ADM trans cooler,Jannetty Trans dipstick,DSS Aluminum Driveshaft,3.91 Gears,Eaton TrueTrac,JRE Billet caps,BMR Trailing arms,BMR Toe rods,BMR rear sway bar,Pegasus Solid sub frame bushings,DSS 1,000HP Axles
Dylan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
jbassking

@Dylan1214 I did exactly that. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Nice. I pretty much knew a cam swap was beyond my ability but if prayer is part of the process, I have no business doing one! (only because it sounds difficult) Maybe best done in the church parking lot?
Old 04-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
I had about a 6" bolt that fit the cam. Used it to put the cam in the motor and then to pull the cam into the phaser. rotate the cam until it felt locked into the phaser. I then carefully threaded the bolt back out and put the new cam bolt/timing valve in.