Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #15
B1DealerManagementSystems

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I've heard of him, but unfortunately I have no contact information, but I am sure Scott can get that to you. He I am sure could set you up nicely. I hope this works out, it is really nice to see a company actively looking to sponsor a fledgling team as racing is a really tough sport for the small guys to get any sort of start at without their own personal fortune.

Hey RougeLeader.... no luck getting through to FbodFather via the forum. Any other suggestions?

Also... I found one team and promoter in Portland, OR.... Cindi Lux Racing - do you know any other teams?

I also sent an email in to a guy named Todd Christensen who is supposed to be running Chevy Racing in Detroit, but... no answer from him either.

I'm finding that even though there is so much talk about teams needing Sponsors in these racing circuits that it's not easy to find anyone to discuss an investment.

JimK
B1DealerManagementSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #16
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1DealerManagementSystems View Post
Hey RougeLeader.... no luck getting through to FbodFather via the forum. Any other suggestions?

Also... I found one team and promoter in Portland, OR.... Cindi Lux Racing - do you know any other teams?

I also sent an email in to a guy named Todd Christensen who is supposed to be running Chevy Racing in Detroit, but... no answer from him either.

I'm finding that even though there is so much talk about teams needing Sponsors in these racing circuits that it's not easy to find anyone to discuss an investment.

JimK
Hm sometimes he is slow to respond he gets a lot of messages here but he will usually get back to you in a week or so at most. I will do some searching as well and see what I come up with and get back to you.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
Tim Adams

Drives: 2020 Elkhart Lake Blue 1LT Z51 C8
GT1 is no more. The class was eliminated. It will still be contested in Europe in the LMS, but not in ALMS. I had heard something about Camaros being built for Grand Am, but that series is a sorry joke thanks to NASCAR. The only real sports car racing happens in the ALMS, and the LMS in Europe.

2020 C8 ordered!!

"The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches"

www.timadamsphotography.com
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
Jim, I'd be happy to put together a team with a 2010 Camaro if you're willing to throw enough money at it.

I would totally street drive any of those.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
Pointdsm

Drives: BMW 3-series, Mazda Rx7
I will be honest, I created this account SIMPLY to discuss this topic. I am extremely interested and knowledgable about the ALMS. Starting a team with the camaro is quite honestly, not going to work in the ALMS. The car isn't competitive, and the investment to do so is frankly not worth it. The corvette is a much better platform for GM.

Here is the phone number for the American Lemans Series, +1.706.654.2983

Call them and simply pick a person to talk to. With your investment and sponsorship ready, I would not be afraid to ask for Mr. Atherton right off the bat. He will love to talk to you, or direct you to someone you should talk to. I know your on the topic of Camaro's. but I DO KNOW that Primetime Racing(Joel Feinberg) is in desperate need of sponsorship. They are the ONLY competition Dodge Viper team, not counting the Speed GT Series.

Again, give Mr. Scott Atherton a call today, if it leads to a dead-end, try calling another staff member.

Thank you for your interest in this series, it is very good to hear,

Eric
Pointdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
I had heard something about Camaros being built for Grand Am, but that series is a sorry joke thanks to NASCAR.
Well technically with Pontiac going away they will just be cutting the bodies off of the Pontiac G6 Grand Am cars and replacing it with a Camaro body. Not sure I follow you on the Grand Am/NASCAR link. I know I sure enjoyed watching the Grand Am cars that particiapted in the test at Indy on the F1 course. Really hoping they will have a race here in 2011, if they do the family and I will be there!
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #21
Tim Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Well technically with Pontiac going away they will just be cutting the bodies off of the Pontiac G6 Grand Am cars and replacing it with a Camaro body. Not sure I follow you on the Grand Am/NASCAR link. I know I sure enjoyed watching the Grand Am cars that particiapted in the test at Indy on the F1 course. Really hoping they will have a race here in 2011, if they do the family and I will be there!
NASCAR owns the Grand Am series. While I will watch anything race, the DP's are not even close to the performance of the LMP1 cars. Take Mid-Ohio for instance. The LMP1's were lapping at about 8 seconds a lap faster than the DP's were when they raced there. Heck the DP's would be hard pressed to compete with the old GT1 C6R!!

2020 C8 ordered!!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #22
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
NASCAR owns the Grand Am series. While I will watch anything race, the DP's are not even close to the performance of the LMP1 cars. Take Mid-Ohio for instance. The LMP1's were lapping at about 8 seconds a lap faster than the DP's were when they raced there. Heck the DP's would be hard pressed to compete with the old GT1 C6R!!
I agree, DP's are simply mid engined stock cars and are a hideous answer to a question nobody asked. Complete dogs compared to LMP cars. The only credit I can give them is they have deep fields which are nice and it makes it easier for teams who don't have huge bucks to go "Prototype" racing. But the forumla contrives "close racing" which is what NASCAR is all about, keeping the pack together artifically to create a close race where normally there wouldn't be one.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
68 Z/28
Father Time

Drives: 1967 Malibu / 2002 Caddy DTS
Send a message via Yahoo to 68 Z/28
Quote:
I agree, DP's are simply mid engined stock cars and are a hideous answer to a question nobody asked. Complete dogs compared to LMP cars. The only credit I can give them is they have deep fields which are nice and it makes it easier for teams who don't have huge bucks to go "Prototype" racing. But the forumla contrives "close racing" which is what NASCAR is all about, keeping the pack together artifically to create a close race where normally there wouldn't be one.
:( I still miss the GTP's :(

68 Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #24
68 Z/28
Father Time

Drives: 1967 Malibu / 2002 Caddy DTS
Send a message via Yahoo to 68 Z/28
And yes I'm that old

68 Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
As I recall (and maybe not correctly) weren't there some pretty stiff rules around brakes and powertrains to keep the costs low for these cars? No carbon ceramic brakes or high dollar hardware would certainly lead to noticeably slower lap times.

And yes I remember when 3 and his boy raced the Corvettes at Daytona. Those were good days and made for a good start to the racing season. Can't say I've watched it since they changed the rules.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #26
Tim Adams

They don't have near the downforce that the LMP cars do either.

2020 C8 ordered!!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #27
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
As I recall (and maybe not correctly) weren't there some pretty stiff rules around brakes and powertrains to keep the costs low for these cars? No carbon ceramic brakes or high dollar hardware would certainly lead to noticeably slower lap times.

And yes I remember when 3 and his boy raced the Corvettes at Daytona. Those were good days and made for a good start to the racing season. Can't say I've watched it since they changed the rules.
That is true, lost of equalization rules for everything from Brakes to aerodynamics to keep the cars close together and keep costs down. Its how NASCAR sees best to "fix" something that wasn't broken.

And yep they got rid of GT1 cars because they were as fast as if not faster than the DPs. TRG won Daytona overall in a Porsche 911 GT3 RSR in the first year of the DP before they got them sorted out. Then they made the top sportscar class equivalent to GT2 next year because you can't have a "sportscar" outrunning your "Prototypes"!

PS 69 Z/28 you ain't that old, I miss GTP as well!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #28
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Have you checked out this thread and talked to these guys yet??

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55063

Tags
amls, gt1, le mans, performance, racing