Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
I'm impressed with the canned SCT tune

I bought a SF3 tuner off a guy here and I have to say I am pretty impressed with the canned SCT tune. My car currently only has a SOLO axle back and from the start I have felt this thing was being held way back. The canned tune changed that nicely, I wasn't expecting that much from it.

The motor definitely feels stronger and the tranny shifts crisp like it should...so much better I can actually chirp or spin through 2nd and sometimes 3rd. The one thing that pissed me off about this ar (besides AFM) is I could never roast the rears from a stand still with all of the traction control nannies off. It floored me that I could never get a 400HP Camaro to roast them from a stop. The tune changed that...I can romp it and spin all of the way through 2nd now. My one complaint is AFM is still on...I thought the canned tune turned that off or gave a user option to change it.

I am happy for now, but I have some HFCs and cat back waiting to be installed. Once I get them installed and pick up an intake and JRE tune I will really be happy!

Anyway, I just wanted to give a shout for the canned SCT tune. For a stock car it is a nice stop gap while getting all of the goodies together!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Dam! All the way through 1st and 2nd? That's impressive! Just think what it's going to be like once you get your other mods on,(hopefully getting rid of those stock cats) and your JRE tune!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
JRT

First let me rephrase I could never spin 3rd, but sometimes spin through 2nd and chirp 3rd, but ya the trans shifts so much better! I do have a set of SOLO HFC and SOLO Mach X cat back I need to get installed then get a CAI and a JRE tune!

The wonky thing is a bought a SCT off a guy on the forum that came with his Magnacharger and after much communication with SCT and Magnuson it looks like I am running the base Magnacharger tune. Why it doesn't run like shit I do not know, but I am flashing back to stock here shortly.

I tried to get SCT to get me their stock firmware and tune version instead of Magnuson's or send me the canned tune so I could load it as a custom tune until i get the JRE and they say it can't be done without sending it to them along with $65...what a bunch of bullshit!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
If it runs so great the way it is, why not leave it?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
JRT

Well because it worries me, it is tuned for a supercharger with larger injectors so the fueling maps, spark etc are all wrong. I asked the guy from Magnuson and he said it would probably just run rich, which is what seems to be happening based off my fuel mileage shrinking. Running lean is much worse then running rich, but why take any chances when I can install my all of my mods and have a Ted tune in a few weeks.

I tell you after returning it to stock there is a big difference LOL!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post

I tried to get SCT to get me their stock firmware and tune version instead of Magnuson's or send me the canned tune so I could load it as a custom tune until i get the JRE and they say it can't be done without sending it to them along with $65...what a bunch of bullshit!
JRT, you may can get around that $65 by sending the SCT to Ted! Maybe he can fix things when he loads your tune!
Your gonna love those SOLO HFC's!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Getting rid of the torque management is a big deal on these cars. Even a canned tune from just about any tuner will be able to remove torque management and really wake up these motors!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
What is torque management? And how does a person know if they are running lean or rich?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
What is torque management? And how does a person know if they are running lean or rich?
Torque management is there to make this car safe to drive in the rain or on slippery surfaces.

By manipulating Throttle opening and timing the computer limits torque output from Idle to 3000 RPM on a sliding scale from 100-330 LB Torque.

It is also used to greatly reduce torque during shifts, and quick throttle movements for a smooth driving experience that any Inexperienced Driver can handle.

Basically we Kick Grandma out of the car.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
Will we gain more tq if we turn the management off? or is it just a feeling
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthegreat View Post
Will we gain more tq if we turn the management off? or is it just a feeling
You will have access to torque you cant reach now so Yes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Johnthegreat

I thought they used the management to keep the lifetime of the engine up?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthegreat View Post
I thought they used the management to keep the lifetime of the engine up?
nope it's for sissy's
Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Johnthegreat

Lol ok.