Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment

Old 06-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
TMO LS3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS w/ SLP SC
Holley ECU vs stock

Does anybody have any experience with a Holley ECU? Im looking to buy/ install myself. From the research i have done it will need to be a piggy back on the stock computer otherwise i have heard you can have issues with body control ABS, traction control, ect. I would like to do some mods and it is harder to tune a stock ECU. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #2
ryeguy2006a

Drives: 1968 Camaro RS
What are you trying to do with a Holley ECU that you can't do with a stock ECU? Holley ECU's are great, I run one in my 1968 Camaro currently, but the stock ECU's are very robust. Seems like for the expense and hassle of a piggyback system, you could just pay a tuner to do what you need.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
TMO LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
What are you trying to do with a Holley ECU that you can't do with a stock ECU? Holley ECU's are great, I run one in my 1968 Camaro currently, but the stock ECU's are very robust. Seems like for the expense and hassle of a piggyback system, you could just pay a tuner to do what you need.
That is kind of my point, not having to pay someone to retune after every change I make. There are several parameters than can be easily adjusted without paying a tuner$500 (or so) to do. Of course on big mods having a tuner go through and tune correctly will be necessary.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Just download HP Tuners and learn how to make some adjustments on the fueling and MAF tables. Not that difficult. But the tuners are worth the cost. They have tricks and knowledge that is difficult to figure out without having done multiple engines.

For what its worth…i have tuned my own vehicle. I now just pay a tuner. The time vs effort vs value is just not worth it to go alone.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
TMO LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
Just download HP Tuners and learn how to make some adjustments on the fueling and MAF tables. Not that difficult. But the tuners are worth the cost. They have tricks and knowledge that is difficult to figure out without having done multiple engines.

For what its worth…i have tuned my own vehicle. I now just pay a tuner. The time vs effort vs value is just not worth it to go alone.
Thank you, that is the kind of feed back I am looking for. You think sticking with a stock ECu is the best way to take? I do not plan on turning this car to a full blown race car, more like a street monster that I occasionally take to a track.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
ryeguy2006a

Drives: 1968 Camaro RS
If you are comfortable doing the changes yourself definitely buy HP Tuners or EFI Live. Once you unlock your ECU you can make whatever change you want. I have had HP tuners for over 10 years now, and it works great for making changes. Some of the changes you can easily find a youtube video for and others you have to use trial and error on. If you are just trying to dial in your VE tables, you can use your LTFT's to slowly creep up on the right corrections you need. Or you can get the ProVersion and hook in a wideband to make a correction table and get to the values much quicker.

If you aren't comfortable with doing the VE or timing changes yourself, that's where a tuner will save you a bunch of time, like what was said above. If I were you, I'd suggest paying for a dyno tune, and then also buy a copy of HP Tuners. Once the tune is complete, you can download a copy and then use HP Tuners to make small changes. Make sure that your tuner doesn't put a lock on the tune though. Some do that to keep their "trade" secrets. If they do, you won't be able to download it, so keep that in mind.