Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Finally

Finally have had the time to post about my new to me Z/28. I made the purchase in March of this year, right before everything really shut down. I am coming from my 15 1LE that I purchased brand new in 2015. I was always very happy with the 1LE and it still is a fantastic car. I got into road racing more and more over the past 2 years and contemplated selling the 1LE and going to a new ZL1, or just upgrading the 1LE. My dad has always been interested and loved the 1LE, and always told me if I wanted to sell it, he would buy it. This car popped up and I knew I had to have it. So, my dad purchased my car, and I was able to purchase this beautiful Z/28. I purchased this car with one thing in mind, track time. It is not a daily driver and hardly gets driven on the weekends. I have put it in to hibernation already until next year. It will be coming out here and there when the mods start (which I know can be frowned upon lol). I have done a few things to it this year when I bought it, a lot of it just being maintenance. First, I did the clutch reservoir separator with upgraded stainless clutch line. Then I had the brake fluid flushed and added stainless lines to all 4 as well. After that, I removed the front bumper to replace the front crash bar with a lightweight one. I wanted this so I didn’t have to drill into the original for a tow hook provision. The new crash bar has that already. It is supposed to improve cooling as well, as it opens up a little more in there. While I was in there, I had some RS headlights lying around I planned to use on the 1LE, so I used them for the Z/28 instead. I also had the lower half of the sides of the car wrapped in PPF. As much as I want the whole car done, it isn’t in the budget right now. And last year my 1LE took a ton of rubber and it is such a pain to keep clean and clean off. I do not know how these guys keep their race cars so clean. Mine seems to get dirty quick lol. The biggest purchase of the year for this was the 3R tires. I really enjoyed them and will be getting an alignment done before next season. I might end up going slicks next season though. And recently I swapped out the mirrors with some black ones just for cosmetic looks. I like it.
Coming up on the mods list is going to be a HUD. I added one to my 1LE, and really enjoyed it on and off the track. So I decided to add it to this as well. While I am there, I will be switching over to the MGW shifter. And figured while I have the seats out for the big project, I will delete the rear seat and add a roll bar. I plan to add an AimSports data logger as well. I am looking at the MXS I believe because it seems to be able to monitor a lot of different things as well. Like actual oil temp, water, trans, etc....so that is in the works for the winter, then I will dive into the performance mods, such as headers, cam, and suspension!

2015 Z/28 summit white #217
The photos are day 1 of bringing him home, the day I did the crash bar and headlights, and the last is after I put the black mirrors on.
Thanks for looking!
Attached Images

Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
X77-69z28

Drives: 69 Z/28, 70 Z28, 99SS, 15 Z/28 2018
Congrats! I have #251, so within a week or so of yours! Also summit white.
Buddy
99 SS hugger orange 6spd no t-tops 1 of 54
15 Z/28 white AC, radio
X77-69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
SummitWhite1LE
SICC

Drives: 2014 2SS1LE Summit White Camaro
What size trailer are you on a 16 or 18?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
SummitWhite1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X77-69z28 View Post
Congrats! I have #251, so within a week or so of yours! Also summit white.
Buddy

Thank you! That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite1LE View Post
What size trailer are you on a 16 or 18?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Old 11-24-2020, 03:32 AM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Black mirrors look really good!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:27 AM   #6
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
You have a really beautiful car.

I completely understand your change 1LE to Z / 28.
This car just has a personality.
Having opportunities like you, I'll jump out of my skin with joy.

I wish you an infinite number of happy miles
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:50 AM   #7
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Congrats!
You might want to take the CC rotors and pads off, put them away for later and install giro discs and your choice of pads for track. It’s much less $$$ in the long run if you plan on tracking.
Good luck
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:55 AM   #8
72 Z27

Drives: '70 Z28/RS & '14 Z28
Can you share info on the new crash bar?

Any wiring changes for the RS headlights?
Old 11-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Cool and thanks for sharing!

Glad your dad is into this stuff with you, enjoy that as long as you can.

And most all Im so glad you are using your beast for what it was meant for, not much more gratifying than what these cars can do on track. The guys that use them for a garage queen and trying to preserve them for the next 40 years for the next guy are missing out!

Tastefull mod list as well and pretty much what I have done over the years to mines as well including the black mirrors

Have fun and good luck
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Like where your going with the car, the black mirrors look good if i may do the same to the antenna.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Black mirrors look really good!!
Thank you! It took me a couple days to get into them! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
You have a really beautiful car.

I completely understand your change 1LE to Z / 28.
This car just has a personality.
Having opportunities like you, I'll jump out of my skin with joy.

I wish you an infinite number of happy miles
Thank you! I definitely do love every mile of it, although it isn’t a lot, it is definitely different than the 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Congrats!
You might want to take the CC rotors and pads off, put them away for later and install giro discs and your choice of pads for track. It’s much less $$$ in the long run if you plan on tracking.
Good luck
I’ve thought about that. I didn’t think about doing it so soon and saving these rotors though, I thought just after these were gone I could do it. But I like your idea. I may have to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
Cool and thanks for sharing!

Glad your dad is into this stuff with you, enjoy that as long as you can.

And most all Im so glad you are using your beast for what it was meant for, not much more gratifying than what these cars can do on track. The guys that use them for a garage queen and trying to preserve them for the next 40 years for the next guy are missing out!

Tastefull mod list as well and pretty much what I have done over the years to mines as well including the black mirrors

Have fun and good luck
Thank you! Yes, he is the one that got me into all of it in the first place! He is a little more jealous of mine but we still have a lot of fun with them lol! It’s a beast at the track! They are missing out for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Like where your going with the car, the black mirrors look good if i may do the same to the antenna.
Thank you!
Old 11-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #12
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Z27 View Post
Can you share info on the new crash bar?

Any wiring changes for the RS headlights?
Crash bar is LeftCoast32. They have a mild steel and chromoly one. I purchased the mild steel just because I read in a crash, chromoly won’t bend and collapse so could mess the frame up. I will be purchasing the rear one from them sometime this winter too.

Wiring was all plug and play basically. I purchased the harness needed from Gen5 actually for my 1LE, I think there are probably a few extra wires in there since that car has fog lights and what not. But I was impatient and didn’t want to wait for another one. And it worked, so I said any added weight is fine since I lightened the crash bar! Lol
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
SIM GhostrdrZ

Did you go with the headlights for look?
Old 11-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #14
SIM GhostrdrZ

I like the black mirrors as well. I had black fender flares, handles and hood stripes that was previously done. I cleaned it all up but the mirrors.

I think we all can appreciate your mods. It’s your beast, do what you like and share it with us all. Just don’t throw anything away, like those back seats, because most parts are getting tough to find.
Attached Images