Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #29
sinisterZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
Oh dam, I missed that, i will go back and look. But mine started up fine after I removed the key and re installed it in the FOB. I did not try it while it was out.

Ya it's a tiny black square chip. The only reason I saw it is it broke out and fell on the floor when I was grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
I called the dealer today - spoke to my original salesman. Really nice, too.

I asked him about what I wanted to do. He said that yes, they have a laser cutter and understood what I wanted to get done. Said he would ask the service dept on monday about it to be "kosher" regarding laws and whatnot as far as GM goes with the recall.

I reminded him that I will still have the "recall" package, the fob+the key, except when this is over, I will have the key+the fob/switchblade key.

I told him that I can find the blanks online and give them to that dept, so that all they have to go and do is cut the key.....I am hoping that the service manager is like "yeah sure" type of guy......hell, i am not above going there personally and pleading.

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #31
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
The plastic he broke the key out of has no electronics in it. I just did the same thing. Nothing but plastic
Wrong, it does. It has an RFID chip, which is very small.

Without this chip, car wont start
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #32
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
I called the dealer today - spoke to my original salesman. Really nice, too.

I asked him about what I wanted to do. He said that yes, they have a laser cutter and understood what I wanted to get done. Said he would ask the service dept on monday about it to be "kosher" regarding laws and whatnot as far as GM goes with the recall.

I reminded him that I will still have the "recall" package, the fob+the key, except when this is over, I will have the key+the fob/switchblade key.

I told him that I can find the blanks online and give them to that dept, so that all they have to go and do is cut the key.....I am hoping that the service manager is like "yeah sure" type of guy......hell, i am not above going there personally and pleading.
Don't think that GM will allow any dealer to cut keys to make the fob back into a switchblade fob....against the recall rules and they can be fined for violating a federal recall.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #33
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Wrong, it does. It has an RFID chip, which is very small.

Without this chip, car wont start
I had no problems removing the key from the upgrade to the new key GM did. I had no problems at all, took 5 minutes to remove the keyed part and place back into the old FOB and car started fine.

I did go back and cut more of the key apart and did find the chip.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #34
camarocruzer

Quote:
I had no problems removing the key from the upgrade to the new key GM did. I had no problems at all, took 5 minutes to remove the keyed part and place back into the old FOB and car started fine.

I did go back and cut more of the key apart and did find the chip.
So then what are you saying? That if I went and cut apart the new key and took off the plastic of the part your fingers touch, that it would work inside the switch part of the switchblade of the fob?

All I'd have to do is put in the tiny pin and I'd be good to go?

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #35
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Don't think that GM will allow any dealer to cut keys to make the fob back into a switchblade fob....against the recall rules and they can be fined for violating a federal recall.
Your argument is invalid.... this is NOT a federally mandated recall. GM is being proactive.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #36
meshamey
Meshamey

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
So then what are you saying? That if I went and cut apart the new key and took off the plastic of the part your fingers touch, that it would work inside the switch part of the switchblade of the fob?

All I'd have to do is put in the tiny pin and I'd be good to go?
that is exactly what I did , removed blade from new key and put it into old FOB, worked fine. I did the same thing as sinisterZL1. I did keep the other new key intact for if I ever have to go back to dealership.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #37
camarocruzer

Quote:
that is exactly what I did , removed blade from new key and put it into old FOB, worked fine. I did the same thing as sinisterZL1. I did keep the other new key intact for if I ever have to go back to dealership.
Where'd you get the little pin? Also, the key blank is curved....ours in the "new" key thingy is straight. how did you get it in the slot of the switchblade?

And, how did you get the black plastic off the new key?

Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #38
meshamey
Meshamey

go back and look at sinisterZL1's post. He was the first, I tried it after he did it.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #39
sinisterZL1

Quote:
go back and look at sinisterZL1's post. He was the first, I tried it after he did it.

PM sent

Old 07-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #40
sinisterZL1

Reversing the recall on the keyfob

I did a small write up titled "reversing key recall" if anyone has more questions.

Last edited by sinisterZL1; 07-20-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #41
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
There are numerous other GM vehicles that uses this exact same switchblade key and the Camaro is the only car this specific recall effects. As far as they know, it can be for another car.

Plus remember this is a voluntary recall, owners do not have to participate if they don't desire to.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #42
camarocruzer

A special thank you to SinisterZL1; I put the key in a vise (again, a must have for any garage), and cut into the plastic with a metal blade.

The key came out and I was left with just the metal "key" portion.

I went to Lowes and bought super glue - the gel though. Also bought #19 nails -- these were the thinnest that would go through that hole.

I will have to cut the nail to length, then gel it into place but in the meantime, I used the super glue/gel and put the key into the fob part then used a clamp for about 30 minutes.

Complete success. I will use the nail in a day or two to give it the extra strength but for now it isn't going anywhere.

I can't thank you all and this board enough. The recall was bogus and now we can all have our keys back!!!!