Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
Racer_X1969

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Using HyperTech as reference for HPTuners tune

Camaro SS M6 Cam (TSP - the profile looks like a stage 3 per the cam card) and bolt-on's (Long Tubes, Axel Back and CAI)

I just bought this car with this setup and it was tuned using a HyperTech Max. The unit is still in the glovebox so I can put everything back to stock if need be to start but I was wandering if I could pull the HyperTech tune and use it to start a cleanup tune in HPTuners or would I be better to start from scratch. the car smells really rich at idle and seems like it needs more timing in the midrange as it is a little sluggish at 4000 rpm. I would like to start where it is for now and cleanup the MAF table a little and as I said add the wideband to work on the VE table as well.

I am just getting started with tuning sooooo I am pretty green. I would like to un-marry the HyperTech and sell it to buy a good wideband. This is my daily also so I need to keep my down time to a minimum if I can.

Thanks in advance for the help.

And the stickers are gone as this car it nowhere near 575HP.

Last edited by Racer_X1969; 09-26-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Racer_X1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X1969 View Post
Camaro SS M6 Cam (TSP - the profile looks like a stage 3 per the cam card) and bolt-on's (Long Tubes, Axel Back and CAI)

I just bought this car with this setup and it was tuned using a HyperTech Max. The unit is still in the glovebox so I can put everything back to stock if need be to start but I was wandering if I could pull the HyperTech tune and use it to start a cleanup tune in HPTuners or would I be better to start from scratch. the car smells really rich at idle and seems like it needs more timing in the midrange as it is a little sluggish at 4000 rpm. I would like to start where it is for now and cleanup the MAF table a little and as I said add the wideband to work on the VE table as well.

I am just getting started with tuning sooooo I am pretty green. I would like to un-marry the HyperTech and sell it to buy a good wideband. This is my daily also so I need to keep my down time to a minimum if I can.

Thanks in advance for the help.

And the stickers are gone as this car it nowhere near 575HP.

Return computer to stock sell of Hypertech start from scratch.

If you would like to purchase a custom tune let me know at tedj@jannettyracing.com

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I'd make a copy of your stock tune with HP tuners and see if you can copy the hypertech tune as well. Use your stock tune as a starting point and I would only use the hypertech tune as a reference, not a guide.

Check out the HP tuners forum for advice and feel free to pm me with some questions if ya got some!
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Racer_X1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I'd make a copy of your stock tune with HP tuners and see if you can copy the hypertech tune as well. Use your stock tune as a starting point and I would only use the hypertech tune as a reference, not a guide.

Check out the HP tuners forum for advice and feel free to pm me with some questions if ya got some!
Pulled Hypertech file and downloaded a stock file from the HPTuners Ripository to use as a base for new tune. I am really a little nervous to flash it back to stock because this is my daily and it needs to stay running. I will take my time and go though each section one by one but it really doesnt look like they did very much at all. I posted the .hpt file if anyone can tell me what they think of it. The scan file is from a couple of weeks ago it is a long drive to work (20 min) and a couple of good pulls.

Sorry the files will not upload for some reason.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Racer_X1969

It bucks at low speed and that's one of the main reasons I am trying to clean everything up. I doesn't like to go back to a clean idle most of the time when I engage the clutch either and will often die. I pulled #1 plug yesterday and they look great nice and clean slightly tan color on the base of the ceramic so its not running to rich. I have a new AEM x-series wideband on the way and it should be here by the end of the week so I will be hard at it this weekend. Again I am just a little nervous that I wont get this figured out over the weekend and have a dead bone in the driveway for a week or two.

I looked at the stock tune compared to the Hypertech and its not much different.

I have a thred on HPTuners as well. See below.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...d-as-Reference
Old 10-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Do you have the stock tune from your own car? I wouldnt use a stock tune from the repository. It might brick your ECU. I would use the HT (hypertech) tune as a start point and then read up on how to tune your VVE and then MAF.

I'm not able to look at tunes at the moment, but if you pm me your tune and a log I could take a look at it tomorrow if you'd want. Not sure I'd be able to help but I'll give it a shot. Getting drivability back may be a little difficult with a cam but I think with time you could make improvements.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Racer_X1969

Sorry working 12+ a day and through my back out last week so I haven't been at this for a bit.

I do not have a stock tune and to be honest I am not sure now if they even used the Hypertech to tune the thing. I can't tell if it is married to my car or not because I don't have another vehicle to hook up to to test if it is married. Once I make sure they didn't use the hand tuner I will have to use the tune that's in the car and run with optimizing it.

I just got my wideband and have an appointment to have a bung put in the exhaust for it on friday. I am going to try to have everything plumbed before then so I can start tuning.

I have a log file I can send if you would like to look at it. I will PM it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Do you have the stock tune from your own car? I wouldnt use a stock tune from the repository. It might brick your ECU. I would use the HT (hypertech) tune as a start point and then read up on how to tune your VVE and then MAF.

I'm not able to look at tunes at the moment, but if you pm me your tune and a log I could take a look at it tomorrow if you'd want. Not sure I'd be able to help but I'll give it a shot. Getting drivability back may be a little difficult with a cam but I think with time you could make improvements.