Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickness91Z28 View Post
Really not trying to be a jerk but I've specialized in PDR for 9 years and I know exactly how it is working with metal. And yes, it has 100% to do with a panels reflection to do a repair, that's why we use a light and/or reflector boards to do the repairs.

As for aluminum panels, (Camaro hoods along with mustangs and challengers are aluminum) yes they are fixable, just depends where and how big the dent is.
No problem..i respect your opinion. Where i work the paint repair guys not only use reflection....the car is put into a booth with extreme lighting.....but also a litttle bit of hand feeling. I repair panels before they are even painted so i too have a little bit of metal work 17 years of experience. I wish i could get into the PDR work at home because i have vehicles that could sure use it.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
Sickness91Z28
Reaper Crew

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro SS
[QUOTE=rontammy0;8791745]No problem..i respect your opinion. Where i work the paint repair guys not only use reflection....the car is put into a booth with extreme lighting.....but also a litttle bit of hand feeling. I repair panels before they are even painted so i too have a little bit of metal work 17 years of experience. I wish i could get into the PDR work at home because i have vehicles that could sure use it.[/QUOTE

I worked in the body business for about 15 years before I got involved with PDR, so I know what you mean. With body work visual inspecting and physically feeling for a damaged area is 100% necessary, been there done that! But with PDR, it's 100% visual, that why we use lights with different bulbs temperatures made for inspecting hail damage or any panel with dents/dings. Like pictured here, panel didn't look bad at all until a light was used.
Attached Images

2010 Camaro SS
SLP TVS2300 Blower, Blower Cam, Lingenfelter Heads, Meth Injected, 5lbs of Boost@700 BHP
Pedders XA Coilovers
Sickness91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Its a work of art imo. With the way the gauge thicknes of steel being used on exposed panels is getting thinner PDR guys are only going to get busier....im coming to indiana for some training.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #18
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
my guy Keith has taken a few out for me in various spots including on top of the front fenders, he made quick work of them. just kind of chill and talk some baseball with him and in 15 he is done and I slide him a 100 and I'm on my way. dude is a magician, I walk around where the dents were and try like heck to find where they were. never can find them.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #19
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I'm having one done this weekend, and will let you know how it goes. Darn recycle bin slipped out of my hand and dinged the hood about 18 inches up from the grill.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #20
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
I've looked into it and got quotes from 2 different places. I have a very large, shallow dent on my hood that looks like somebody sat on it. One wanted $400+ because the hood is aluminum and more difficult to work with; I was told the vinyl wouldn't be a problem. Another quoted me over $1,700 for total replacement because they said it couldn't be fixed. I laughed. Debating on whether or not to just get an aftermarket hood now.