Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Fancy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Must do track prep?

I have read a lot of threads on track prep and there are some general thoughts but also a good amount of things that while great ideas don't really seem "mandatory" for a first track day so wanted to get some opinions.

First of the car is a Daily Driver 2014 1LE with 35k miles. current on maintenance and will be getting new tires next weekend and I will do a fresh oil change the weekend before the track day. I have auto crossed the car once but have never put it on the track. Personally have done a lot of track days on a motorcycle and one in my wife's car and the ford ST racing school.

The track day will be the Pro-Drive HPDE school at Portland International Raceway. I am not looking to go full track ready spec on the car but want it to be reliable and capable for the event and I do plan to push it as much as I can. Before I go and just start picking up random parts I would like some honest opinions of setting it up for a good base line that can be improved more as I do more track days and Autocross events.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
theres a million threads on this but i'm doing the same as you so

trans fluid change
fluid in the rear end
upgrade brake and clutch fluid to ate type 200 or better
make sure your pads and tires have enough life to pass track inspection
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Yeah, don't really need a lot. Like mentioned... change those fluids. DOT 4, I like Motul 600 RBF.

Make sure the brake pads are plenty thick. It's that pad thickness that helps keep the heat out of the calipers. I've seen people take cars to track days thinking 25% pad thickness was fine... till it cooked the fluid and burned off the powder coat on the calipers. Get under it and look at the tire wear across every tire. The inside edge that is hard to see is often overlooked.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
These are mandatory for a first track day in the 1LE:
Dot 4 brake fluid - Full flush/brake bleed (and clutch bleed)
Oil change before (and preferably after)
Tires that will not overheat on the track (The stock F1s are an excellent choice unless driven very hard on a warmer day.)
Remove your valve stem caps, so they do not fuse onto the stems

Optional but almost mandatory to have, especially as you improve:
Brake ducts (if not already equipped on your car)
Replace rear diff fluid and tranny fluid (before)
Stainless steel brake lines
Upgraded pads (track compounds work well on the stock rotors, as long as they are staggered more aggressive front / less aggressive on the rear
Upgraded ZL-1 or CTS-V front rotors and calipers

Optional:
Upgraded brake and gas pedals
Racing Harness and seats (I've heard Recaros are good if your car came with them.)
Roll bar

Notes: Also leave your traction control alone the first few laps or until you are comfortable then engage comp mode by double tapping the button. Be careful, as this mode gives you little to no warning if you break traction, especially on the Goodyear rubber. If you drive aggressively and leave the car in normal mode, it will do more braking and the brakes and tires will overheat.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
These are mandatory for a first track day in the 1LE:
Dot 4 brake fluid - Full flush/brake bleed (and clutch bleed)
Oil change before (and preferably after)
Tires that will not overheat on the track (The stock F1s are an excellent choice unless driven very hard on a warmer day.)
Remove your valve stem caps, so they do not fuse onto the stems

Optional but almost mandatory to have, especially as you improve:
Brake ducts (if not already equipped on your car)
Replace rear diff fluid and tranny fluid (before)
Stainless steel brake lines
Upgraded pads (track compounds work well on the stock rotors, as long as they are staggered more aggressive front / less aggressive on the rear
Upgraded ZL-1 or CTS-V front rotors and calipers

Optional:
Upgraded brake and gas pedals
Racing Harness and seats (I've heard Recaros are good if your car came with them.)
Roll bar

Notes: Also leave your traction control alone the first few laps or until you are comfortable then engage comp mode by double tapping the button. Be careful, as this mode gives you little to no warning if you break traction, especially on the Goodyear rubber. If you drive aggressively and leave the car in normal mode, it will do more braking and the brakes and tires will overheat.
Very good advice here, but remember, optional is just that....optional. For your first HDPE in the 1LE, I would just worry about a good flush with DOT4 (had the dealer do mine to cycle the ABS), make sure your brake pads are at least 50%, and your tires have sufficient tread. I wouldn't necessarily suggest brand new tires, unless your old tires are too worn. The stock GY's are excellent track tires when up to temp. Sounds like you know the track in other formats, so you know, your first HDPE1 day will be your own pace, really just getting to feel the car out and start to learn it's handling characteristics.

Have fun!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Oh man, this sounds like it is an expensive endeavor.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
Well the brake fluid and flush is not very expensive if you are a do-it-yourself type.

Since these are heavy cars, braking is the most important thing that can go wrong quickly on these cars, and has for me and many others in the past.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Fuel, hotel, track day insurance, pads, tires, brake fluid flush, entrance fee, oil changes. Track days aren't cheap. With wear and tear on tires and brakes, figure at least a grand a day. But oh so so worth it.

With something like a track-prepped Miata ... this cost goes down SUBSTANTIALLY. Where a fast guy in a 1LE will eat up a set of tires in 2 or 3 track days, a fast guy in a Miata will eat up a set of tires in a dozen or so. Same with brake pads. Weight is thine enemy. Miata parts are cheap, the tires are small and cheap, the pads and rotors are small and cheap. And you can pick up a clapped-out Miata for $5K ... so screw the track insurance. All of a sudden it went from $1K per day, to $400 to $500 per day. Which means double (or more, I'm being generous on it only being $1K per day to track a 1LE) the track time.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Fuel, hotel, track day insurance, pads, tires, brake fluid flush, entrance fee, oil changes. Track days aren't cheap. With wear and tear on tires and brakes, figure at least a grand a day. But oh so so worth it.

With something like a track-prepped Miata ... this cost goes down SUBSTANTIALLY. Where a fast guy in a 1LE will eat up a set of tires in 2 or 3 track days, a fast guy in a Miata will eat up a set of tires in a dozen or so. Same with brake pads. Weight is thine enemy. Miata parts are cheap, the tires are small and cheap, the pads and rotors are small and cheap. And you can pick up a clapped-out Miata for $5K ... so screw the track insurance. All of a sudden it went from $1K per day, to $400 to $500 per day. Which means double (or more, I'm being generous on it only being $1K per day to track a 1LE) the track time.
You are correct, Track Days are not Cheap, but they are a Whole Lotta Fun!

I budget $1,000 a day to do a Track Day - Travel to & from, Lodging, Food, Drink (keep hydrated at the Track) Wear & Tear on Tires & Brakes, Fuel, Fees and I also take out Track Day Insurance!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
How much is typical track insurance and are they hassle to deal with if something happens?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Billy10mm

I checked it out on my 1LE ($30K valuation): $197 with iForgetWhoRightNow. Track day insurance is based entirely on the valuation of the vehicle. I've seen anywhere from $100 per $10K valuation (which would mean $300 a day for a $30K vehicle), to $100 per $15K valuation ($200 per day for a $30K vehicle). There are a few companies out there who offer it. Do a Google search for "track day insurance". Getting a quote is surprisingly easy.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
Klondike Bar

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post

I know this thread is a few months old, but I am currently in a situation of trying to decide whether to track my ZL or buy an older track prepped car. Nothing fancy or fast, just something to track. You have a good point on the costs for tracking the Camaro vs something with smaller tires and cheaper related parts that will wear out. Is that really accurate on the tire and pad replacement? only 2 or 3 track days? if so, then I would be leaning toward something like you described and maybe just track the ZL every once in a while.
Klondike Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
Elihu Smails

Drives: 2015 SIM 1LE
I can't see pads and tires only making 2 or 3 track days. Probably no more than 6 though, based on what I'm seeing after 4 track days and 2 AutoX.

But, still, $1400 for a set of tires and $350 for front pads is realistically $300/track day in wear.
Elihu Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Bar View Post
I know this thread is a few months old, but I am currently in a situation of trying to decide whether to track my ZL or buy an older track prepped car. Nothing fancy or fast, just something to track. You have a good point on the costs for tracking the Camaro vs something with smaller tires and cheaper related parts that will wear out. Is that really accurate on the tire and pad replacement? only 2 or 3 track days? if so, then I would be leaning toward something like you described and maybe just track the ZL every once in a while.
It depends on the driver and driving style. There are plenty of guys who drive very smooth and don't do a lot of scrubbing. Then there are those that are in some state of push at all parts of the corner.

I once went through a perfectly BRAND NEW set of tires in a track weekend with the BMWCCA (two day event). The front-left corded on day two and I had to sit out the last the stint (the tow home wasn't great either).

I put on a new set of rear G2s over the winter. I did very little commuting this year (maybe 3K miles in total), but I did 5 auto-crosses so far (have one coming up this weekend + possibly two more before the season is out). The "new" rears didn't pass inspection last month. So I'm going to try to rip them apart in these auto-crosses and throw them away.