Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #43
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Even without the limiter, the Camaro (even the SS) won't come anywhere close to 250 mph. It won't even come close to 200 mph. A 250 mph speedo would end up just like the GT-R, where 60 is just a few degrees off 0 and buried down at the bottom. That would be stupidly unusable.
Well, as far as the governor/electronic speed limiter goes, I don't want it on there! I may be full of sh*t, but if you don't believe an SS could even come close to 200mph, I think you're WAY off!!! If both the gearing for the transmissions and rear end, engine rpm red line, and height of the drive wheels/tires are as advertised, my mathematical formulas would say otherwise. Throw in the .35 drag coefficient for the SS as reported in another thread, then pull over and watch. If the right driver on the proper track had a go of it, I think some jaws would drop, all the way to the floor! That one boy from Fresno, Gary Scelzi got an SRT8 Challenger up to...I think it was a little over 170 mph, (and there may have been some more in there he could have gotten). Give him a new Camaro and let him have a go and see what numbers he comes up with?!!!

Now, as far as the speedometer goes, I'd like the aesthetics of a 250 mph version, even if it is, "stupidly unusable" as you put it. I can't even tell you the last time I looked at my speedometer while driving. When my eyes come down out of the glass, it's to take a peek at my gages, then right back up again. I'm so used to my car, I KNOW how fast I'm driving! I believe most people who have a fun car and actually enjoy the act of driving can do the same thing. Those who can't need to clear their minds, turn off their cell phones and stereo's, listen to their exhaust and enjoy the road!!!!!!!!

NOW THAT WE HAVE THAT ESTABLISHED, here's the most important part of this post. That gorgeous blonde in the photo in this thread is Amber Lancaster. Here is a link to 214 more photos of her and some other models at that car show. Take ten mins. away from Camaro5 and enjoy!!!

http://www.carandmodel.com/gallery/h...0060225-models
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
Old 11-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #44
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
Well, as far as the governor/electronic speed limiter goes, I don't want it on there! I may be full of sh*t, but if you don't believe an SS could even come close to 200mph, I think you're WAY off!!! If both the gearing for the transmissions and rear end, engine rpm red line, and height of the drive wheels/tires are as advertised, my mathematical formulas would say otherwise. Throw in the .35 drag coefficient for the SS as reported in another thread, then pull over and watch. If the right driver on the proper track had a go of it, I think some jaws would drop, all the way to the floor! That one boy from Fresno, Gary Scelzi got an SRT8 Challenger up to...I think it was a little over 170 mph, (and there may have been some more in there he could have gotten). Give him a new Camaro and let him have a go and see what numbers he comes up with?!!!
There is a HUGE difference between 170 and 200. Once you get up in that range the power/aero/etc required to increase the speed changes exponentially. The Camaro may go 1 or 2 mph faster than the Challenger but thats about it. The 4th gen Camaro and Firebird had a better coefficient of drag and couldn't get over 178.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #45
Bart

Drives: 1997 Trans Am
The ZR1 with 630 horsepower barely breaches the 200 MPH mark. I love the Camaro, but it won't even come CLOSE. Your mathematical formula doesn't mean anything because it doesn't factor in aerodynamic drag. In fact, I thought the 4th gens actually topped out in 5th gear, because there wasn't enough power to overcome the aerodynamic drag in 6th.
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Old 11-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #46
Mormegil

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/07 Silverado 4.8
[QUOTE=CWIweldace;204130]I am thinking there will definately be a Camaro serving as Nascar pace car next season, but I have never been a fan of pace car replicas.

I would like to see GMPP LT headers and functional air intake slot. True posi rear would be nice also.

Would someone please comment on this "true LSD" issue?
Old 11-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #47
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28 Z28
Old 11-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #48
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
I'd like a motor choice, not having the motor I want in a car thats costing 37 grand is BS.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
The ZR1 with 630 horsepower barely breaches the 200 MPH mark. I love the Camaro, but it won't even come CLOSE. Your mathematical formula doesn't mean anything because it doesn't factor in aerodynamic drag. In fact, I thought the 4th gens actually topped out in 5th gear, because there wasn't enough power to overcome the aerodynamic drag in 6th.
Well, the 5th gens don't have enough power to do that, the Z06 doesn't either, so I imagine that a stock 4th gen has a snowballs chance . . .

I ran a bunch of numbers a while ago, and the 5th gen SS's should top out at 175-185 mph. Auto is gear limited, manual is aero limited. I think. Exact numbers are not possible because I could only estimate the cross section and there haven't been any dyno runs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #50
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
You are correct.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #51
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Now supposing you were able to get your hands on a JATO rocket...

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #52
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Quote:
Truthfully, I still think some people would be surprised! I do agree with your thoughts on aerodynamic drag however. I will say this though. Whenever I get the new car magazines, I routinely use my formulas to see how close to their red line limited speeds I come to. I'm always off, but usually by a margin of between 3-7mph. Once speeds do get way up there, (over 190 or so) the margin does indeed increase.

There is one thing I do remember from back in '84 that you might find interesting. They took a new Trans Am (.32 drag coefficient) and stuck one of those black Buick's engines/turbo etc. in it and turned it loose. With the Grand National's goodies, but with the outstanding aerodynamics of the 3rd gen T/A, they got it up to 204mph! Woof!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #53
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Well, the 5th gens don't have enough power to do that, the Z06 doesn't either, so I imagine that a stock 4th gen has a snowballs chance . . .

I ran a bunch of numbers a while ago, and the 5th gen SS's should top out at 175-185 mph. Auto is gear limited, manual is aero limited. I think. Exact numbers are not possible because I could only estimate the cross section and there haven't been any dyno runs.
I'd like to encourage you to see what numbers you come up with once these Camaro's come out, if you have the time. A while back in another thread I told headpunter that he was one of the small number of guys who's posts I most look forward to reading. You are also one of that small number of people who I make it a point to read completely when I see you've written something! Have fun for now. Vrooooommmmmm
Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #54
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrew View Post
Hide away headlights would be awesome... IMHO
They would be awesome don't worry aftermarket suppliers are already working on it
Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #55
Belo

Drives: 98 Heavily Modded Pontiac GTP
All as options in no particular order:

Painted stripes
HUD
GPS
Push Button Start
Stand Alone HIDS
Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #56
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Now that I've had time to thoroughly look over current options, here's what I'd like to see in 2011, 2012 in order of preference:

Push Button Start as standard
HUD as an option
3.73 Gears as an option
Heated/Cooled seats as an option
Factory Supercharger as an option
Offer cloth seats in a 2SS as an option

Do something different with the wire loom coming out of the right side of the trunk on the 2010 model. Hide it or somehow run it in the trunk canal.

Keep the 4 pack console gauges, but have something more meaningful in the 6 speed manual other than transmission temperature.

Closed Thread