Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,283
Magna-Ride? No thanks!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nits-wear.html

check out the comments and experiences of Cadillac owners who have had Magnetic Ride Suspension systems fail in their cars.

I think on a high-end sports car like a Ferrari it makes sense because you want professional level performance without regard for cost, but on a Camaro? Give me a friggin break. A Camaro is a budget performance car - one of the best bangs for the buck. Paying premium prices to fix this kind of suspension, I would argue, isn't appropriate for a Camaro.

If it's just an option: great. Me: I'd opt out.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
derklug

 
derklug's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Boss 302
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Posts: 1,369
Once had a Caddie customer who wanted all new shocks at 50k. When he found out that his were $400 apiece, he decided to wait untill we told him they were bad. Magna-Ride is great but I wonder if the expense is justified at the price. It sort of reminds me of electronic sway bars and electric thermostats. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.
__________________
The biggest mistakes in life come when you know exactly what you are doing.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,637
The stock electric adjust shocks on my Silverado were 1600 over the counter.
__________________
CAMARO.. 2010 The Heart Beat is back in CHEVROLET
Now let's put it back in America
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,906
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nits-wear.html

check out the comments and experiences of Cadillac owners who have had Magnetic Ride Suspension systems fail in their cars.

I think on a high-end sports car like a Ferrari it makes sense because you want professional level performance without regard for cost, but on a Camaro? Give me a friggin break. A Camaro is a budget performance car - one of the best bangs for the buck. Paying premium prices to fix this kind of suspension, I would argue, isn't appropriate for a Camaro.

If it's just an option: great. Me: I'd opt out.
I didn't see all that many complaints. And from what I understand, the MSRC shocks are designed for the lifetime of the vehicle so replacement shouldn't be too much of a concern, unless you plan on driving your Z28 for a very long time. Of course, there is also the potential for incurring damage for whatever reason but odds are, you'd have more expensive problems at that point.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
CamaroMiami
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 531
I wish it was an option instead of a standard for ordering a HP/Z28.

But if a person can afford a car with MRC, then they can afford the repair.
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
KarFan
 
KarFan's Avatar
 
Drives: CARS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
But if a person can afford a car with MRC, then they can afford the repair.
That's the correct answer.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie
 
LostInMoscow's Avatar
 
Drives: None
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 803
It's an option on the 'vette. Why would you think that it wouldn't be an option on the Camaro? If I'm not mistaken, the only 'vette that comes standard with magnetic select ride control is the ZR-1 at over $100K.
__________________
LostInMoscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended
 
Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 3,045
Best priced camaro corvette GTO Firebird GM Truck in Tampa Florida

www.TampaTuning.com

On my 2000 corvette I have the F-45 shocks with three modes.

Tour
Sport
Performance

Tour is a nice soft ride for cruising on the highway. Almost makes my C5 feel like a caddy.

Sport I never use because I dont feel much of a differance betweem tour and sport, or sport and performance.

Performance is a stiffer ride and better handling which I love to use when im playing on curving roads. But for me, performance would beat up my back on a 3 hour highway cruise.

The F-45 shocks are about $350 each. Ill hate to replace them, but I really do love them.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 31,850
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I didn't see all that many complaints. And from what I understand, the MSRC shocks are designed for the lifetime of the vehicle so replacement shouldn't be too much of a concern, unless you plan on driving your Z28 for a very long time. Of course, there is also the potential for incurring damage for whatever reason but odds are, you'd have more expensive problems at that point.
Yup. I didn't read much in the way of failures, either...and bad shocks won't necessarily dump your car on the ground either like the Lincoln they mentioned, it'll get really bouncy...but there's some exaggeration going on in there....

Components break or wear out on cars. There's no reason to expect the Magnetic Selection Ride Control system was some superman suspension getup...Every GM suspension getup undegoes abuse testing equivilant to 300,000 miles on Detroit's worst roads. It sounds like they've gone a little further to make sure this advanced system won't need replacing as soon as your typical shock absorber. After all, it's not like the auto parts store is going to have magnetorheological dampers sitting on the shelf.......

And they're expensive...I encourage people to go research how the system works and find out why...but like somebody said in that Cadillac thread, a couple thousand dollars IF they fail on you outside of warranty is peanuts compared to the repair charges on some foriegn makes (with a shorter warranty) for less vital parts.....

And think about this...if they DO fail, which is unlikely, replace them with coilovers...

One last thought...the system going into the Z28 (assuming everything we've been told so far holds true), will be a next-gen version...the earlier CTS-Vs and STSs and base-model Corvettes used the 2nd generation(?) MagneRide system. This one should be much improved.

I'm not worried...and I'm stoked the car might get such an advanced active suspention system!!!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - Fbodfather
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13
 
newagemuscle's Avatar
 
Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Motor City - Michigan
Posts: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
www.TampaTuning.com

On my 2000 corvette I have the F-45 shocks with three modes.

Tour
Sport
Performance

Tour is a nice soft ride for cruising on the highway. Almost makes my C5 feel like a caddy.

Sport I never use because I dont feel much of a differance betweem tour and sport, or sport and performance.

Performance is a stiffer ride and better handling which I love to use when im playing on curving roads. But for me, performance would beat up my back on a 3 hour highway cruise.

The F-45 shocks are about $350 each. Ill hate to replace them, but I really do love them.

I had it on my vette and could never tell the difference one bit. It seemed like a complete was of money. If its anything like that forget it.
__________________
newagemuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
J Webb
 
Drives: 2010 2ss iom
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Manteca, CA
Posts: 65
Just like abs, traction control, and fuel injection, there will always be haters. Given enough time and improvements in technology I'm sure it will be far superior in the long run. As far as how well it is developed at this point is open to interpretation. I'm sure in a mass produced market it will be well worth the cost.
J Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,087
I'm conflicted, because I know these shocks just work on ZR1 and CTS-V, and I think they'd be great on Z28, but I kinda' worry about the long-term, too. However - everything will wear out with time, and so long as they perform and have a reasonable life expectancy, I think I'd be happy. Besides - there are plenty of aftermarket companies out there to choose from for upgrades. I think I'd like this to be an option, so I can make a choice to go aftermarket if I want, but more importantly, if it works, I won't complain at all. I believe Dragoneye is right - we're at least on the second or third generation, and I'm sure it's only going to get better and even more reliable.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
DLB
 
Drives: 74 Camaro Type LT with a BB454
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Scottsdale, Chino Valley AZ
Posts: 49
I think a lot of guys mis understand these...... Magna is the best FACTORY setup ever. nothing else evern comes close to how fast this suspention works and change to help keep your d*mb a** on the road. mercbenz is trying to beat it by using camaras to read the road so the suspen can know what about to happen.... go drive any car with magna susp. before you say its crap. alot of other auto companys will copy this and the would will be a safer place to drive in. btw they did design this to last the lifetime of the car. just take good care of your car and she/he will treat you right! i know i cnat sepll vrey good!
DLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
SHWA
 
SHWA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS L99 A6
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 154
I wish my Camaro had Magna ride on my camaro! My parents have it on their escalade and it is awesome. Actually it is the main reason that they chose an escalade over a tahoe. I kept telling them that the extra 100hp should have been the reason but for them it was the better ride quality of the magna set-up.
__________________
SHWA is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What song are you listening to right now Muscle Master Off-topic Discussions 6424 08-01-2018 08:58 PM
Complete Air Ride Suspension for 2010 Camaro AACstyle Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 2 03-31-2010 01:13 PM
Lowered guys, get in here! Ride quality HaZe_X USA - NY / NJ / PA 0 02-08-2010 01:22 PM
rockytophummer took me for a ride!! light-my-firebyrd 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 5 07-05-2009 01:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.