Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 03-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
LoJac963

Drives: 2016 2SS Nightfall Grey
Two major issues, hoping for some feedback

This will be a bit of a read so bear with me.

We picked up our 2016 2SS on Monday the 7th. This was after a 41 day wait for the car to arrive to the dealership after we bought it (another story).

On startup at the dealership when idling the car feels like its missing. I thought maybe it just needs to be broken in or rough idle as the LT1 is known for. This though seems more of a miss than a rough idle. I've had big cammed cars and performance vehicles in the past and this just doesn't seem like a rough idle. You can even hear it in the exhaust every few seconds.

Then on the 34 mile drive home the CEL came on, flashed for a few minutes then turned off. I put my ELM327 on the port to see if there were any codes which there was not-maybe a hidden code I can't see with my cheap adapter?

Since day one when accelerating while driving the transmission (A8) stutters like crazy before taking off. It does this every time you hard accelerate while moving. Doesn't seem to do it from a dead stop. The stutter is massive to the point of moving you around in the seat before it takes off. In manual mode it shifts fine without any stutter.

I am very curious what you all think about these issues before taking it in the dealer. Am I jumping the gun with only 100 miles on the car? These issues, especially the transmission doesn't seem like something a break in will resolve.

I did read almost every thread in this section to see if I was missing something. I'm tempted to check every plug, unplug and plug it back in as that seems to cause some issues with other peoples vehicles. At the same time I don't know if I should go rooting around with a brand new (100 mile) car then catch flack at the dealership/warranty.

Do you guys think pulling the battery cable to reset everything would do anything-that used to be a quick fix when odd things were going on.

Thanks in advance!
LoJac963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Wiskey

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
I would take it back to the dealer and let them look into it.

Other than that I don't have any advice, sorry.
Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
Yeah, same here. I just have an LT, but what you're describing doesn't sound normal. Unfortunately, it also doesn't sound like any of the other problems others have had, so I don't know what to tell you to expect the fix to be.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
NOLA Camaro

Drives: '16 Silver 2SS, M6, NPP, MRC
I wonder if the dealer filled it with regular fuel instead of premium.
NOLA Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
LoJac963

Thanks for the info so far!

NOLA-I thought that myself. Even when you goose the throttle sitting still it sputters, stutters, spits, every nasty descriptive word you can think of.

Maybe we'll run all this gas out and fill up with good premium Chevron.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
NOLA Camaro

Drives: '16 Silver 2SS, M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
Thanks for the info so far!

NOLA-I thought that myself. Even when you goose the throttle sitting still it sputters, stutters, spits, every nasty descriptive word you can think of.

Maybe we'll run all this gas out and fill up with good premium Chevron.
NOLA Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
It sounds like you describing a misfire but then you say if you put it in manual mode it doesn't stutter, which shouldn't matter. With the right monitoring tool like HP tuners, etc. you can see if a cylinder is misfiring, which could point you to a bad plug, wire, etc. without that type of tool you really need it hooked up to the computer the dealer has.

I would hope that you don't have a bad factory tune as they should be using the same calibration across all LT1s. It is possible to have different spark timing and other values when you change transmission modes. Unlikely, but possible.

A bad tank of gas, maybe, but then it should cause the same issue in manual mode.

Don't waste your time. Just bring it to the dealer.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
This will be a bit of a read so bear with me.

We picked up our 2016 2SS on Monday the 7th. This was after a 41 day wait for the car to arrive to the dealership after we bought it (another story).

On startup at the dealership when idling the car feels like its missing. I thought maybe it just needs to be broken in or rough idle as the LT1 is known for. This though seems more of a miss than a rough idle. I've had big cammed cars and performance vehicles in the past and this just doesn't seem like a rough idle. You can even hear it in the exhaust every few seconds.

Then on the 34 mile drive home the CEL came on, flashed for a few minutes then turned off. I put my ELM327 on the port to see if there were any codes which there was not-maybe a hidden code I can't see with my cheap adapter?

Since day one when accelerating while driving the transmission (A8) stutters like crazy before taking off. It does this every time you hard accelerate while moving. Doesn't seem to do it from a dead stop. The stutter is massive to the point of moving you around in the seat before it takes off. In manual mode it shifts fine without any stutter.

I am very curious what you all think about these issues before taking it in the dealer. Am I jumping the gun with only 100 miles on the car? These issues, especially the transmission doesn't seem like something a break in will resolve.

I did read almost every thread in this section to see if I was missing something. I'm tempted to check every plug, unplug and plug it back in as that seems to cause some issues with other peoples vehicles. At the same time I don't know if I should go rooting around with a brand new (100 mile) car then catch flack at the dealership/warranty.

Do you guys think pulling the battery cable to reset everything would do anything-that used to be a quick fix when odd things were going on.

Thanks in advance!
This happened to me when I was sitting in one at the dealer, it just came in off the truck and had not been prepped. The dealer told me that when they come in its put in some other type of mode until the batteries are recharged during prep. He said that could be why it has that constant miss at idle. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about, probably not, but yeh definatly had a constant miss at idle, not rough just a miss.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
The shudder you are describing is most likely the AFM system taking your car from 4 to 8 cylinder mode. Many people complain about this system. From the threads seen here and on the Camaro5 site, people put their car in manual mode and the issue goes away.

The fix for this is to get AFM turned off via a tuner though this could cause the dealer to void your warranty. I'm do not believe that you can turn off AFM any other way on the Gen6 cars either.

The rough idle can be literally anything. No one here will be able to diagnose it so you may as well get your car back to the dealer.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
suzook

Drives: camaro
My 2016/has absolutely no shutter or is noticeable at all when AFM kicks on. It's was so bad on my 2013, I tuned it out. It sounds like another issue op.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
MikeyCamaro

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
Maybe try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting? I've seen various cars "recalibrate" various systems after doing that and it might help. Maybe it's just got some "bad data" in some of the adaptives.

Mike
MikeyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
LoJac963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
This happened to me when I was sitting in one at the dealer, it just came in off the truck and had not been prepped. The dealer told me that when they come in its put in some other type of mode until the batteries are recharged during prep. He said that could be why it has that constant miss at idle. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about, probably not, but yeh definatly had a constant miss at idle, not rough just a miss.
What was the final verdict? I'm curious if this was to be true. This had crossed my mind as well. Almost like new vehicles need to be hooked up and told its time to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
The shudder you are describing is most likely the AFM system taking your car from 4 to 8 cylinder mode. Many people complain about this system. From the threads seen here and on the Camaro5 site, people put their car in manual mode and the issue goes away.

The fix for this is to get AFM turned off via a tuner though this could cause the dealer to void your warranty. I'm do not believe that you can turn off AFM any other way on the Gen6 cars either.

The rough idle can be literally anything. No one here will be able to diagnose it so you may as well get your car back to the dealer.
Well that's news to me, I never knew these had AFM. I thought it was 8 cylinders all the time no matter what. I never saw this mentioned anywhere through our thorough research when buying this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCamaro View Post
Maybe try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting? I've seen various cars "recalibrate" various systems after doing that and it might help. Maybe it's just got some "bad data" in some of the adaptives.

Mike
I thought about disconnecting the battery. That was always the first thing to do on newer vehicles when things were acting up. However, I don't see how you get to the positive battery cable with the battery locked away in the trunk with a tiny access point.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #13
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post

When it happened to me I was in a manual trans. an they don't have afm,
Old 03-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #14
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
What was the final verdict? I'm curious if this was to be true. This had crossed my mind as well. Almost like new vehicles need to be hooked up and told its time to go.

Well that's news to me, I never knew these had AFM. I thought it was 8 cylinders all the time no matter what. I never saw this mentioned anywhere through our thorough research when buying this car.

I thought about disconnecting the battery. That was always the first thing to do on newer vehicles when things were acting up. However, I don't see how you get to the positive battery cable with the battery locked away in the trunk with a tiny access point.

Don't know the outcome because I didn't buy the car.