Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #57
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
A 2SS/RS was the only way for me to go. I wanted the V-8 Power, the headlights and RS wheels looked great, and I loved the heated seats. Plus I get 17mpg in town and 24mpg on the highway with normal driving. I can't imagine a V-6 gets a whole lot better fuel economy than that.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #58
import_killa

Drives: 2SS IBM
Get the 2SS cause the RS package is only the halos, which can be put in way cheaper, color molding which can be painted way cheaper. Just didnt make sense to spend the extra money on the RS package when aftermarkets stuff is cheaper.
1 7/8 AR headers, roto-fab CAI with radiator, fuse box, and valve cover, cam, upgraded fuel system with 85lb injectors, under drive pulley, TVS 2300 S/C, muffler delete, aftermarket wheels, AAC headlights fogs sidemarkers footwell dome and trunk lights.....That's 659.9 RWHP 611.9RWTQ

T
import_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #59
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I don't understand the big argument for Premium gas being the reason for someone to be swayed away from the v8 and towards the v6. Where I live (Michigan) the difference between Regular and Premium gas is roughly 20 cents. Maybe that is not the same everywhere in the US, but the way I look at it, is you will spend 3 to 4 bucks more each fill up. If that’s going to break you, some of you should not be looking at a new car in the first place. Now, there are obviously other things to consider, such as, upfront cost for the v8 (SS), insurance cost, and tires...lol. Those would be things I would focus on before gas prices.
+1 I totally agree with you, all of my friends were excited about this car and all my family members were "You have to buy premium, OMG!"

First off, like mentioned above... its an 18.8 gallon tank... so that's roughly $3.50 more for a full tank of gas than regular fuel(matching tank size). If that $3.50 is going to hurt every 2 weeks or so, then a new car is not something to look into. Also, premium is NOT required, it is RECOMMENDED...it has the knocker system that changes the timing and everything for the type of fuel that is used. I'm not saying to buy an SS and then use regular, but the occasional regular if your tight on cash wont hurt... but for $3.50, you won't be complaining about the fun you will have with that engine
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #60
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post
Hey All,

Brand new to the forum. What brought me here? Well, I've pretty much convinced the boss (aka wife of 21 years) that OUR (read MY) next car should be a 2011 Camaro.

Went and test drove a 2SS Manual and LOVED it. Man the sound of that engine just resonates with my Y-Chromosome (I'm sure it resonates with the X-Chromosomes too, but I've yet to see a guy that doesn't grin ear-to-ear at the sound and feel of that engine). But I digress....

I'm debating on a few things and unfortunately I do have to consider price:

1) 2LT vs. 2SS: is the only difference between these models the V6 vs. V8?

I didn't see it mentioned by anyone else, but the SS also adds Brembo brakes all around, 20-inch wheels standard, standard spoiler, slightly upgraded suspension, and larger 4-inch tailpipes, versus 3-inch (I believe) for the V6. With the LT, you would need to get the RS package to get the 20-inch wheels, which I personally prefer to the 19's on the LT, and to add the spoiler. Of course, another nice little touch is getting the "SS" embroidered in the headrests. The SS also has a Tremec 6-speed with the manual, whereas the LT gets an Aisin 6-speed. Both are good, but as I understand it, the Tremec is better, and it's the same transmission used in the Corvette. You also don't get the Hurst short-throw shifter option with the LT (SS only), if that's something you'd be interested in.

2) Is the RS package worth the extra $1200?

I personally think so, and it actually costs more with the 2LT, since you're also upgrading the wheels and getting the spoiler, both of which are standard on the SS. The only difference is the RS wheels are midnight silver, slightly darker than standard SS wheels. Those halos just look so mean, and I like the darker taillamps.

3) A buddy said buying a Camaro without the V8 is like having sex without an orgasm. Feels great at first but in the end it's very unsatisfying. Is the V6 an unsatisfactory experience for the Camaro (i'm going to drive one this weekend, the dealership was out of stock on them) Agree? Disagree?

Of course the SS is a better performing car, as that's what you're paying for, and more fun in most opinions. But yes, you will pay for it, both at the dealership and at the pump.

4) With gas prices going through the roof here in CA and this car going to be my daily driver, MPGs have to be considered. I do nearly all highway driving and the V6 is rated at 29 MPG and the V8 at 24 MPG. What is the real world mileage you guys are getting?

I don't know how some of these other guys are getting such high mileage in their SS's, but I've been getting pretty much what the EPA sticker says. I average about 19 to 20 mpg combined, with 16 to 17 in the city and 24 to 25 on the highway. I'm not very aggressive with the throttle either. Unless I'm opening him up, I usually stay below 2,000 rpm and only push it about halfway.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming a new Camaro owner very soon and frequenting these boards often.

Phil
Ultimately, it comes down to what you really want and how often you're going to drive it. Drive the LT and see how you feel by comparison. If you think you'll constantly have buyer's remorse after that, go with the SS. I will say, as Fbodfather says, the permagrin is indeed permanent. I've had mine for over a year and a half, and the novelty of the SS has absolutely NOT worn off. It's always fun to mash that throttle and GO!!

But, as some have said, many go with the V6 and are very happy. You still get good performance, the awesome Camaro styling, and the ease of knowing your wallet won't take a big hit on the gas.

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #61
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
LOL. Good point. Finances may dictate the 2LT though.
Get what YOU can afford and are comfortable paying. When the bills come due, you are the one that will pay, nobody on these forums will be paying it.
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #62
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by import_killa View Post
Get the 2SS cause the RS package is only the halos, which can be put in way cheaper, color molding which can be painted way cheaper. Just didnt make sense to spend the extra money on the RS package when aftermarkets stuff is cheaper.
I disagree, the only way to put in the halos and HIDs aftermarket is to get the eagle eyes, and while they look nice, they don't look quite as good IMO. Then, if you want HIDs as well, I think you have to do a little cutting to the eagle eyes.

Tailights aren't a big deal, you can tint or paint.

Ditch molding, I'm not sure.

I like the midnight silver on the RS wheels better.

I think the RS package is definatly worth it if you like everything on it. It comes down to this, if you think you are going to save money by doing halos and HIDs after the fact, plus have the molding painted, plus tint or replace the taillights, plus paint the wheels - THEN you are better off with the RS package.

However, if you only like one thing about the RS package, then its not worth it. Make sense?

One advantage to the RS package concerning HIDs though - they will be under the factory warranty
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #63
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
i was pretty happy with my v6. but some days i wish i had a v8. If i was to get a camaro again i would get a 2LT/RS again. Mainly because it doesn't require premium.
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #64
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
To paraphrase a line from the movie SWAT. "Sometimes doing the right thing isn't doing the right thing". Go for the SS!!!!
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #65
Clark Grizwald
Brewmaster

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2015 Tundra 1794
I love driving my V6 (2lt/RS) and I have never been beat to a merge or from a light on the roads I drive!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #66
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart53 View Post
+1 I totally agree with you, all of my friends were excited about this car and all my family members were "You have to buy premium, OMG!"

First off, like mentioned above... its an 18.8 gallon tank... so that's roughly $3.50 more for a full tank of gas than regular fuel(matching tank size). If that $3.50 is going to hurt every 2 weeks or so, then a new car is not something to look into. Also, premium is NOT required, it is RECOMMENDED...it has the knocker system that changes the timing and everything for the type of fuel that is used. I'm not saying to buy an SS and then use regular, but the occasional regular if your tight on cash wont hurt... but for $3.50, you won't be complaining about the fun you will have with that engine
Much bigger difference for a daily driver.
For me, I'd have to fill up a 2SS 1-2 times a month more than a 2LT.
I've run the numbers and the 2SS will cost me $200 more a month in payments and $50-100 in gas, not to mention insurance.
Waiting for the 2012 specs to be released and decide if I'm getting the 2010/2011/2012 2SS.
If it's too much of a hit on the pocket, I'll just trade for a 2LT.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #67
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Hey All,

Brand new to the forum. What brought me here? Well, I've pretty much convinced the boss (aka wife of 21 years) that OUR (read MY) next car should be a 2011 Camaro.

Went and test drove a 2SS Manual and LOVED it. Man the sound of that engine just resonates with my Y-Chromosome (I'm sure it resonates with the X-Chromosomes too, but I've yet to see a guy that doesn't grin ear-to-ear at the sound and feel of that engine). But I digress....

I'm debating on a few things and unfortunately I do have to consider price:

1) 2LT vs. 2SS: is the only difference between these models the V6 vs. V8?

2) Is the RS package worth the extra $1200?

3) A buddy said buying a Camaro without the V8 is like having sex without an orgasm. Feels great at first but in the end it's very unsatisfying. Is the V6 an unsatisfactory experience for the Camaro (i'm going to drive one this weekend, the dealership was out of stock on them) Agree? Disagree?

4) With gas prices going through the roof here in CA and this car going to be my daily driver, MPGs have to be considered. I do nearly all highway driving and the V6 is rated at 29 MPG and the V8 at 24 MPG. What is the real world mileage you guys are getting?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming a new Camaro owner very soon and frequenting these boards often.

Phil
Im not sure about anything else but the RS is a good value.
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #68
itsorange

Drives: 2010 CamaroSS2
I rented the v6 camaro from Avis back in October 2010 and drove it to GA for a buisness trip. I was SO blown away by the power and preformance that I drove to the dealership instead of my hotel just to test drive the V-8 version.

Avis let me trun in the camaro at the GA office and I drove back to VA in a brand new 2SS. I know what you are going through right now and I didn't have a choice on options (back then you had to take what you could get because of the 8mo. waiting lists).

I am glad I didn't get the RS package because now my $300 Halo headlights work with my fog lights which saved me $900 and all I needed was a screw driver. I am a Sound person and I wanted a car that sounded mean so I would have given up all the options just to get that V-8 exhaust sound.
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
itsorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #69
PhillyC

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Stripes
2SS or not 2SS? That is the question.

A: 2SS/RS

I went and test drove both the 2LT and 2SS today in both Manual and Automatic this morning.

And while I was super impressed with 2LT and know I could be happy with it, I really REALLY want the V-8. The power and SOUND of that engine just slay. Wish it didn't exist or that I had no knowledge of it, because if that were the case I'd have driven out of the dealership with the 2LT this morning.

So I'm running numbers to see if the payment, estimated monthly fuel increases and insurance are going to fit in the budget. If they don't, then I'll buy the 2LT/RS because I need a car now and I'll have to live with a bit of regret....but not too much.

Here are the 2 I'm considering:

Name:  Orange:Black SS.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  White:Grey SS.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  61.4 KB

Thanks again for all the info and advice.

Phil
PhillyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #70
PhillyC

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
2SS of course, because without 2, how can you have this?
[snipped the YouTube video]

Steve that IS AWESOME. LMAO!! Double SS ALL THE WAY!!

Phil
PhillyC is offline   Reply With Quote