Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Spillz

Drives: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Send a message via Yahoo to Spillz
Summit White - paint quality difference on car? Should I wait to Clear bra Car?

Hi everyone, this past sunday I decided to take on the task of washing, claying and polishing my car. I didnt wax my car because I plan on having a shop put a clear bra on this week. The question I have is after cleaning my car I noticed a difference in paint color on my front bumper/Fascia area compared to the rest of the car. The front fascia area doesnt seem as bright and clear as the rest of the car. Is this normal? Before anyone says this thread is worthless without pics....I havent had the opportunity to take pictures due to the bad weather. Any Summit White owners chime in please...thank you..

I posted the following #69 Post

Thanks everyone for your comments to my thread, but I have an additional question. Initially my thought process was to clean my car properly and then have my clear bra installed. Well after reading some of these posts from current summit white owners who don't have any issues with their paint.

Quest: Do you think I should look into having my panels painted from the dealer before I have the clear bra installed or do you think the dealer will shoot me down?

Thank you...

Last edited by Spillz; 03-26-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: update title
Spillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
2SS-11

Drives: SIM 2SS 2011 LS3
i have a slight color difference also.........probably because of different base material
2SS-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillz View Post
Hi everyone, this past sunday I decided to take on the task of washing, claying and polishing my car. I didnt wax my car because I plan on having a shop put a clear bra on this week. The question I have is after cleaning my car I noticed a difference in paint color on my front bumper/Fascia area compared to the rest of the car. The front fascia area doesnt seem as bright and clear as the rest of the car. Is this normal? Before anyone says this thread is worthless without pics....I havent had the opportunity to take pictures due to the bad weather. Any Summit White owners chime in please...thank you..
Your seeing the difference in assembly process. All cars are painted with only the sheet metal installed. The fascias and other plastic/fiberglass/rubber pieces are added after paint. The fascias are painted at another facility and shipped to the assembly plant. It is impossible to have perfect paint match with these parts.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
TACamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS SW IOM interior
^ yup exactly right, white shows up more because it's such a transparent color. Mines the same way.
TACamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
yes i have read this is a common problem on SW cars. My gas door is a completely shade off then the rest of the car

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Your seeing the difference in assembly process. All cars are painted with only the sheet metal installed. The fascias and other plastic/fiberglass/rubber pieces are added after paint. The fascias are painted at another facility and shipped to the assembly plant. It is impossible to have perfect paint match with these parts.
It is possible to perfectly match. They call it tuning the color in. If they don't spend the time and $$$ to get it right, you wind up with a piss poor match.

Many of the Camaro front fascia colors are a kinda match. I'd give that paint engineer a C- for a grade.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
It is possible to perfectly match. They call it tuning the color in. If they don't spend the time and $$$ to get it right, you wind up with a piss poor match.

Many of the Camaro front fascia colors are a kinda match. I'd give that paint engineer a C- for a grade.
Let's agree that a perfect match is difficult and leave it there. Don't really want to argue about how much it would cost, whether it is worth it for a mass produced car, how it would be maintained, what tolerance is acceptable, etc., especially since I'm not on GM's side on this. I do believe that they should do more for this.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
it doesn't really match for cyber gray owners either...it is more blu-ish than the other part of the car for me.
The rear matches though, but I think it's cause I had it repainted after someone hit me
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCO2185 View Post
yes i have read this is a common problem on SW cars. My gas door is a completely shade off then the rest of the car
Not so in my opinion. SW is one of the better matches. I've seen RJT front covers on Camaros that are way off. Same with IO covers.
I think the build date has a lot to do with the finished paint quality. My SW SS was built on 8/4/09 and has a perfect paint match and NO chips after 9700 miles. Again, just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
paultheman2007
SWFLGENS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
My sw white is a little off but you can't really notice it unless you stare at it and don't blink but when it is clean and wax the car is perfect I think also I think sw is one of the best colors of the Camaro it just shines that's why I got it my second choice would of been victory red

SWFLGENS on facebook.
paultheman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
greenisgood

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Mines green with only a "kinda" match

I've seen green ones that match perfectly, so I'm guessing it depends on which day it was built or something
greenisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCO2185 View Post
Your gas door is sheet metal so it should get painted at the same time as the rest of the car, if memory serves. If yours is off, it might have been repaired/replaced either at the factory or by the dealer during their prep.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
outlaw2

Drives: 12 SS/RS Conv, 66 Impala SS Conv
Time for that Custom paint job you always wanted and what is the paint # for the orange rally stripes cause it's not on the decal in the trunk only the white BC/CC #. I'd like to peel these chipped up stripes (rock chips) off and paint on my stripes buried in HOC Top shelf clear. If they painted the whole car at one place then it would be a perfect match, I see where custom Harleys parts are painted on different days some paint doesn't match cause of humidity,technics,air pressure,paint lot #'s or a whole lotta issues to match. My car is Summit white with Egg shell parts in color also
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
SSACCO

Drives: 2010 SS
My SW is horribly off and I havnt seen a SW that is "perfect".
SSACCO is offline   Reply With Quote