Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
dlions20

Drives: cobalt
Best Place to get alignment?

Hey Guys,

Was looking for suggestions.

For past cars I would normally just go to a firestone or Mavis , but was wondering if I should just go to a chevy dealership instead.

Just a lot more expensive at the dealer.

Anyone think it matters or have experience?

Thanks
dlions20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Zzzato
Bigg Balls

Drives: 2017 Red Hot 1SS
In for the information as well. Seems being a newer car most alignment shop wouldn't have the specs unless you bring it to them. I have no idea how it works.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions20 View Post
Hey Guys,

Was looking for suggestions.

For past cars I would normally just go to a firestone or Mavis , but was wondering if I should just go to a chevy dealership instead.

Just a lot more expensive at the dealer.

Anyone think it matters or have experience?

Thanks
Our cars are drive by wire.

Last time I went to the dealership, an alignment was $200+ dollars.

Depending on your driving style, I would not go to a cheap place...you'll regret it...in blood.
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
If you're just looking to get "in spec" - anyone can do that.

If you're looking for an autocross/track alignment, I see you're in NJ like me. www.sjfperformance.com is the place to go. Steve is an awesome guy, and an autocrosser. He'll do what it takes to get the specs you want (to the extent the hardware allows). We got 2.4 degrees out of camber from my stock 1LE yesterday.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
wow $200. My dealer charges $84 and at a shop that does fine spec alignments they charge $84 too.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
My dealer did mine for free. I went in for the cold rear diff grind to get the fluid change and mention the alignment. Got both done for free.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Some dealers suck some don't. It all depends but I've gone to Firestone and NTB and I had to walk them thru it but got good results. If you don't know how to help them then you probably need to go to dealer.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
I have had good results with my local firestone but I do "chat" with the tech and I always have a printout of the specs on the passenger seat. I believe their lifetime alignment is under $200. With the crap streets here in Houston I was taking my Charger in about every quarter. if you have a good, dependable shop I don't see why you wouldn't go this route.
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #9
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
By default all alignment shops do the same thing as your dealer: punch your VIN into the computer, mount the sensors and follow the prompts.

Only difference is a a good shop /dealer has the tools to do steering position sensor reset etc. and a REALLY good shop will actually do it right AND be able to do 'performance' alignments.

And by right I mean follow all of the specs... Ie BMW requires weights in all 4 seats and a certain amount of fuel. All vehicles are suppose to have trim height verified before and after but most shops don't do it. A good alignment tech will jounce suspension between adjustments and recheck after a short road test... But if you are paying less then 2hrs nominal labor rate, you can bet you are not getting that level of service.

In an effort to make the process faster/cheaper/easier the VIN pulls factory specs and the software adjusts visual cues accordingly. (they even have photos and video of how to make adjustments... Really designed for monkeys) If you want something other then stock, the display and print out will not be 'all greens'.

Most standard shops (firestone) won't do anything but stock. One way to fool them into other specs is to give them the wrong VIN... ie my 2003 suburban was hard on the outside fronts and the problem only got worse when I went to 20"s. I found police edition trucks come with 20"s and different alignment specs to match so I found one on ebay, copied the VIN and with some photoshopping my local Firestone gave me the alignment I wanted without having to ask
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I just had the track alignment done at my local dealer. They did a good job.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
Our cars are drive by wire.

Last time I went to the dealership, an alignment was $200+ dollars.

Depending on your driving style, I would not go to a cheap place...you'll regret it...in blood.
Only thing that is "by wire" on these cars for driving control is the throttle body, which has 0 impact on alignment. These cars are aligned just like any other car on the road. If the dealer told you that, it sounds like they're BSing you to charge extra to anyone who doesn't know any better and that they should be avoided.

I got my track alignment at my local dealer and it went really well. Was around $120 at the end, but that was because it does take a little longer to hit the tighter tolerances of the track alignment. My expectation is that it should still be around $80-$100 wherever you go, but don't be surprised to pay a little more if you're getting the track alignment.

No matter where you go, easiest thing to do is to have the GM literature open with the specs you want it set to. Most shops won't have any issue doing a specified alignment for you if it's in writing by the OEM. Just have to talk to them a little and explain the situation in my experience.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
If you just want it "in spec", go anywhere that won't scratch it or drop it off a lift.

If you're headed to the track and really want it dialed in; find a performance-oriented dealer or performance shop with modern equipment and a willingness to let you in the back to work with the tech on your alignment specs. Hard to find...but worth the cost and search.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
If you just want it "in spec", go anywhere that won't scratch it or drop it off a lift.

If you're headed to the track and really want it dialed in; find a performance-oriented dealer or performance shop with modern equipment and a willingness to let you in the back to work with the tech on your alignment specs. Hard to find...but worth the cost and search.
This.

Also to add on, if you go to the dealer, try to find one with those laser thingamajig in their shop. My local has it and I go there to get it right.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
Quester

Drives: 16 2SS Convertable
I’m starting to think some people just lay down and take it, lol. I work my dealer, “hey, you guys match price service right? . Cool this dealer offer alignments for 79, here’s the coupon. It might help that I have like six Chevy dealers within an thirty minute drive.