Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
I guess I'll stick with my NPP, its free.
Yeah why change
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Flowmaster New FlowFX Muffler – Part #’s 71415, 71416 & 71419

Flowmaster New FlowFX Muffler – Part #’s 71415 (2.25”), 71416 (2.50”) & 71419 (3.00”)

Available October 1, 2018

Part #’s 71415, 71416 & 71419

Application:

All vehicle applications with 2.25”, 2.50” and 3.00” exhaust tubing

Features:
The FlowFX series muffler delivers a moderate performance sound level for the enthusiast looking for an exhaust tone that is different from the chambered muffler sound that Flowmaster is famous for. Now available in a round body, these straight-through style mufflers feature a 409S stainless steel case and the quality you would expect from Flowmaster. The muffler case has a 4.00” diameter and a case length of 14.00” with an overall length of 20.00”.

• Moderate Exterior Performance Tone
• Straight-Through Design
• Durable Fully Welded 409S Stainless Steel Case
Flowmaster Quality

Questions? Please call 707-544-4761 or visit www.flowmastermufflers.com for additional application and product information.
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
These look very suspiciously like a Flowmaster stamped Magnaflow. Case style looks the same, even the welding looks the same. So I guess they've finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel after all of these years lmao.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #18
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
One mans drone is another mans music !!
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
Tech@Flowmaster

Quote:
Will it drone like regular flowmasters?
We offer over 15 styles of mufflers, from mild to wild, some of which will have a greater chance for interior resonance (drone). The straight-through design of the Flowmaster FlowFX muffler allows for a more aggressive exterior note while having a moderate amount of drone when compared to a "chambered" style of muffler. Since most everyone hears a little different and preferences vary widely a good rule of thumb is the more aggressive the muffler the greater chance for drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
"moderate interior resonance" = Uhhhg, more drone. Good thing is they never tried to be dishonest about it.

Flowmaster needs a J-pipe setup or something to really shine. Most of us LOVE the tone and sound that they produce, but the drone can be unbearable. Too many other choices that do not drone.

Sad to say that I removed my Outlaw axle back and reinstalled my Legato setup due to this exact reason. Which is a damn shame as the Outlaw is one of the very best sounding on these cars. But between 1800-2200 rpm, especially on the highway, you cannot hear a thing. It also makes my car into a rattlebox.
On our website, we make every attempt to note the interior and exterior aggressiveness (tone, note, and drone) of each muffler or exhaust system and also provide links to audio clips so you know what to expect when purchasing one of our exhaust products. We have looked into the benefits and restrictions of adding a Helmholtz Resonator, but we currently have no plans of introducing the technology into our products. When I receive product requests or ideas I forward those on over to R&D for review, I will be doing the same for your recommendation.

The Outlaw System is considered our most aggressive Axle-back system available. We're sorry to hear that the Outlaw Axle-back was not the system for you. For a large number of vehicle applications, we offer a moderate option (the Force II or FlowFX), an intermediate option (the American Thunder) or an aggressive option (The Outlaw). If you're running our Scavenger X-pipe you should be able to add a traditional or "bullet style" resonator into the system to substantially decrease the amount of drone.

Quote:
Yep, i put on the ZL1 set up, drove it down the street and took it off. It was aweful. You would think someone that works there has a car with headers and a cam and would design a system that does not drone bad, guess its more about selling stuff, who knows.

Its crazy to think my stock NPP sounds good and with the valves opened does not drone bad at all. Plus it makes good power
We receive a number of our R&D "test" vehicles brand new from dealerships, manufacturers and owners alike. The majority of these vehicles are brand new, unaltered with no additional aftermarket accessories installed. A large portion of our business is applications that are stock to lightly modified so that is what we test and advertise with. In our YouTube videos, we will make note if a "test" vehicle has additional items like an intake or exhaust installed. Our Support Team makes every attempt to notify our phone and web clients how "power adders" such as intakes, headers, cams, and forced induction will increase the exhaust note of any exhaust system, even stock and recommend a tamer option if needed.

Quote:
Yeah, I am aware of your issue, as I remember when you ordered and installed them. Sorry to hear that it turned out like that.
I am not trying to knock them, as I have been a fan of Flowmaster since I was a teenager in the late 80s'/early 90s. I also really don't want to get banned from my favorite forum for smack talking a vendor, especially a HUGE one, as that is truly not my intention.

I am just offering a suggestion to maybe try and spend a little time and resources on designing something to combat the drone of otherwise fantastic sounding exhausts.
With our cars, going with a less aggressive sounding exhaust is not really a viable solution to combating drone, as many of us want that beastly LOUD sound. I want my Outlaws or Super 44s, but without the crazy interior drone! Not too much to ask, right?

Our cars are seemingly more susceptible to drone due to the mufflers being mounted so close to the rear and the rear also being a damn near echo chamber. So staying drone free is something that many of us Camaro owners strive for.

I will probably put them back on soon and just order the J-pipe kit from another vendor and see how that works. They just sounded THAT good. But if Flowmaster was to maybe offer the option to integrate a J-Pipe or Helmholtz into their systems AND also get to profit from it, wouldn't that make more sense? A lot of people don't want to frankenstein their exhausts, so getting a total solution from one vendor seems to be the most logical solution.
We invite and encourage our clients to let us know what they want or don't want from our products, that's one reason why we're here on Camaro6. We take all recommendations, critiques, and advice seriously and welcome your thoughts on our products. We definitely do not want to see a valuable forum member receive an infraction or ban for stating their opinion.

Exhaust manufacturers have made fantastic progress in attempting to eliminate drone in an exhaust system, let alone a highly aggressive one like the Outlaw. As you have experienced it's not always easy integrating our products around another product. With the advancement of cylinder deactivation and other computer controlled MPG saving technologies, sometimes we cannot "re-engineer" our product based on the intricacies of the application. This can also true of muffler and resonator location.

I appreciate everyone's input here and encourage calling our Support Team

at 707-544-4761 with ANY exhaust questions that you may have.

- Jason @ Flowmaster
Old 10-11-2018, 12:43 AM   #20
MiSTER

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM Camaro, 1988 6.6L IROC
Isn't this basically the same thing as the Dynomax Welded Ultra-Flo mufflers?

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultr...elded-mufflers
MiSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #21
NEstyle

Drives: Caprice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSTER View Post
Isn't this basically the same thing as the Dynomax Welded Ultra-Flo mufflers?

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultr...elded-mufflers

It's a perforated tube with sound absorbing material around it. It's the same as 99% of the mufflers in existence. I'm not knocking it, I am just saying that it's definitely nothing new.
NEstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #22
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Quote:
"moderate interior resonance" = Uhhhg, more drone. Good thing is they never tried to be dishonest about it.

Flowmaster needs a J-pipe setup or something to really shine. Most of us LOVE the tone and sound that they produce, but the drone can be unbearable. Too many other choices that do not drone.

Sad to say that I removed my Outlaw axle back and reinstalled my Legato setup due to this exact reason. Which is a damn shame as the Outlaw is one of the very best sounding on these cars. But between 1800-2200 rpm, especially on the highway, you cannot hear a thing. It also makes my car into a rattlebox.

How did you like your Legato with your setup? I'm looking to go with LTH/hi-cats and X-Pipe leading to my Legato mufflers. Hows the tone you're getting.

joe...
Old 10-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #23
Tech@Flowmaster

Flowmaster FlowFX Stainless Steel Muffler 3.00” In, Dual 2.50” Out – Part #72288

Flowmaster FlowFX Stainless Steel Muffler 3.00” Center In, 2.50” Dual Out – Part #72288

Available November 1, 2018

Part #72288

Application:

All vehicle applications that utilize single 3.00” intermediate tubing and dual 2.50” tailpipes or custom applications. Call for additional fitment options.

Features:
The FlowFX series of mufflers deliver a moderate performance tone for the enthusiast looking for an exhaust note that is different from the “chambered” muffler sound. The interior features a large “straight-through” stainless steel perforated core, surrounded with high-temperature sound absorption materials delivering a deep mellow tone. The internal flow design is reversible, so the muffler can be installed in either direction to best suit the vehicle application and offsets needed. Features include fully MIG-welded 409 stainless steel construction with the FlowFX logo embossed on both sides of the case. The FlowFX mufflers are perfect for the person looking for a quality “straight-through” performance muffler at an economical price point.

• Fully MIG-welded 409s Stainless Steel
• Compact Case Size Fits in Tight Spaces
• Moderate Performance Exhaust Tone
• Reversible “Straight-through” Design

Questions? Please call 707-544-4761 or visit www.flowmastermufflers.com for additional application and product information.

Last edited by Tech@Flowmaster; 10-24-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #24
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Love my outlaw catback, also get many many complements at stop lights from others. Even few bikers on Harley's had to tell me how good it sounds,( cam and long tubes ls3)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #25
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
So what I wanna know is what is the difference between these and a Magnaflow, besides the name embossed on the side?

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #26
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Love my outlaw catback, also get many many complements at stop lights from others. Even few bikers on Harley's had to tell me how good it sounds,( cam and long tubes ls3)
LOL, agree with you on this one sir, I also have the 3 inch outlaw catback ZL1 quad system and it sounds sooooo great and the compliments on it are off the chain! People who know horsepower appreciate the sound especially with my big ass cam. Love it !!
Old 10-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #27
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Had an Outlaw ZL1 system and took it off after one drive. Sounded great outside for sure but inside was horrible. DRONE out the ass and vibrated things in the car I never heard vibrate before. Total disappointment to be honest.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #28
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Had an Outlaw ZL1 system and took it off after one drive. Sounded great outside for sure but inside was horrible. DRONE out the ass and vibrated things in the car I never heard vibrate before. Total disappointment to be honest.
I can hear the exhaust inside the car , not a issue tho and can't understand why any one would have problem with it. Your driving a 430hp+ car with a v8 and expect it not to make a sound with a exhaust that's marketed for extreme aggressive note.... think people need to get off there high horse and stop blaming companys for there sensitivity