Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Baseball, Hot Dogas Apple Pie and Chevrolet
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #30
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
You can not buy engine oil it goes buy motor oil. So if it motor oil then goes into a motor.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #31
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
just as motor skills doesn't refer to how well you work on engines.

By strict definition: all engines are motors, but not all motors are engines. There is a difference.
Now I am really confused because when the doctors at the hospital refered to motor skill I took it as a measure of the dexterity or the ease of use of hands and such.
habunow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #32
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
This is the dumbest thread on the internet. Someone needs to go out and enjoy their camaro and stop trying to think too much. Motor engine, who cares.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #33
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
As with most anything, the terms used by the general populous become accepted terms.

By engineering standards, yes an engine is in an internal combustion device the imparts power or motion etc....

A motor is typically powered by electricity. it can also be a slave device in a hydraulic system... Ie... thruster motor.... And there is no electricity used in it.

However, the only people that recognize and adhere to this are engineers,and not all of them do so...

General Motors, Oldsmobile Motor Company, Ford Motor Company, etc, along with numerous European auto manufacturers used the term in their company names and it became standard to refer to the power plants as motors... After 120 + years, it is perfectly normal to refer to the power plants as motors...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #34
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

By engineering standards, yes an engine is in an internal combustion device the imparts power or motion etc....

A motor is typically powered by electricity. it can also be a slave device in a hydraulic system... Ie... thruster motor.... And there is no electricity used in it.
This. The difference really is how they make the mechanical energy required for the motion. "Motors" use electricity". "Engines" generally use a combustible fuel.

They are both, by the strict definition of the word, motors.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #35
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
All I'm saying is, is that when someone pulls up to brag about the extensive work they put into their engine and call it a motor, it just sounds silly in my head. For general laid back chat say motor. But if you're going to try and sound technical and talk in depth about your car, use the damn right terms.

Lol at mad posts in this thread though, ultimately I REALLY dont care. Call it whatever you want.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
After researching quite a few theories on this subject this afternoon, I can confidently say that the two terms should be interchangeable. Both turn energy of varying sources and convert them into mechanical motion. Some sources cite engine as being an all encompassing term, while others use motor.

However, there seem to be a few contextual rules for determining when motor should be used instead of engine.

• If heat is the primary input to the device, then it should probably be called an engine
  • If electricity, fluid pressure (pneumatic or hydraulic), or elastic energy is the primary input go with motor
  • If the device is of relatively simple construction and/or operation then motor would be the preferred term
  • If it extracts energy from a moving fluid, don't use engine or motor. Call it a turbine (also ... don't call it a turban)

Also ... I found out why motors are used to describe the mechanical device that propels automobiles. In the early days, steam powered cars were fairly common. And at the time, the term engine was predominantly associated with steam engines. So to distinguish the cars powered by internal combustion engines from their steam counterparts, manufactures began using the term motor.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #37
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
This is the dumbest thread on the internet. Someone needs to go out and enjoy their camaro and stop trying to think too much. Motor engine, who cares.

I agree with enginehead, oh, sorry, motorhead.

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #38
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
A loco engine traveling at 30mph starts its journey in Chicago. An engine home starts at the same location traveling at 55mph. Their destination is the Engine City of Detroit. They start at the same time but the engine home gets detoured due to a fire and fire motors are blocking the road. At what speed will the engine home...............uhh..........the loco ...train.......the....WTF!
This would never work in mathmatics...........lets just let it go.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #39
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Motor = Engine

If you believe otherwise, you must not have traveled around the country to hear it called either.

Motorcycle. So...what's the motor there. An engine?

DMV (Department of MOTOR Vehicles).

I could go on....but I'm really not sure I see the OP's point here.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #40
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
After researching quite a few theories on this subject this afternoon, I can confidently say that the two terms should be interchangeable. Both turn energy of varying sources and convert them into mechanical motion. Some sources cite engine as being an all encompassing term, while others use motor.

However, there seem to be a few contextual rules for determining when motor should be used instead of engine.

• If heat is the primary input to the device, then it should probably be called an engine
  • If electricity, fluid pressure (pneumatic or hydraulic), or elastic energy is the primary input go with motor
  • If the device is of relatively simple construction and/or operation then motor would be the preferred term
  • If it extracts energy from a moving fluid, don't use engine or motor. Call it a turbine (also ... don't call it a turban)

Also ... I found out why motors are used to describe the mechanical device that propels automobiles. In the early days, steam powered cars were fairly common. And at the time, the term engine was predominantly associated with steam engines. So to distinguish the cars powered by internal combustion engines from their steam counterparts, manufactures began using the term motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Motor = Engine

If you believe otherwise, you must not have traveled around the country to hear it called either.

Motorcycle. So...what's the motor there. An engine?

DMV (Department of MOTOR Vehicles).

I could go on....but I'm really not sure I see the OP's point here.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #41
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
OP, if you want to correct mis-information, take on the 'wheel-rim' debacle.

A wheel is made up of a hub, spokes and rim.

When you see a car with cool wheels, tell the owner, "Nice hubs, man." ... maybe you'll start a new fad
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #42
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Well, If your driving a Volt (or any other hybrid), you have motors and an engine.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote