Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
PremoDeluxe

Drives: 2012 Camero SS 45th anniversary
Dam Saskatoon Chevy

So 6 and a half months of sleeping in a garage I pulled her out. Did my headers, throttle body and halo lights over the winter and started it up. It didnt sound to good like it wasn't running on all cylinders :(. Called onstar to do a scan and it came back as a miss fire just like I knew it would. So thinking of what I might have done wrong and while doing my headers I did pull out the wires but checked them and they were all snugged up and tight.. I'm about 10 min away from Chevy so thought hey might as well stop it and they can tell me what happened .. Went home and came back 2 hrs later said they fixed the problem it was 1 spark plug that was chipped and caused it to miss fire . They put in a new plug that took 2 min but gave me a bill of 230$ .. Wtf 230 for 1 spark plug replacement that's crazy .. Thought I'd share this story and vent a little .. So DAM you chevy ..
PremoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
NFRNOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
No warranty coverage cuz you did the damage yourself? Or did you void your warranty with all the new stuff?
NFRNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
PremoDeluxe

Ya I chipped it while putting the headers on :( if I knew I'd replace it myself but no idea.. Warranty or no warranty all I'm trying to say is 230$ for a spark plug that's a little crazy to charge someone
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
What does the bill say. That's steep but it probably the tests that bumped the bill up.
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Everything that needs to replaced/fixed on a car has a set hourly rate. So for example it could be a half hour to change a spark plug. Even if they can do the job in 10 minutes, they are going to charge you the half hour. Plus everyone knows that a dealership has the most expensive pricing for parts and labor hourly rate.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
What does the bill say?

Mind controlled by Cerebro
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Silver Ice Man

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring limited edition
Invest in a code reader, then you can trouble shoot more on your own.
Since doing the LT headers, high flow cats, full Borla exhaust, etc on my baby; the dealership loves to play the warranty card on me now.
Best $150 I spent was on my code reader.
Mind you if you have headers on, you may want to consider a tune so she doesn't throw codes. I might be wrong but I think the SCT tuners will also read codes.
I got mine from Jannetty racing with a tune made for my set up. just a thought, best of luck.
MODS: CIA cold air intake, Oil catch can, Dynatech LT Headers, Dynatech Power cats, Dynatech Cat back exhaust, Janetty racing tune, Vitesse throttle controller, Headlight and marker tint, more to follow....
Silver Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Yes, the SCT tuner reads codes. But, being a mechanic, I can understand the bill. There is going to be the scanning, or scoping (which isn't cheap) then the replacement of the plug. A lot of the dealers here charge $135 per hour or more so it adds up fairly quickly. When the replace the plug, they have to go back in and make sure there are no other problems. The bill was probably due to the fact you broke the plug, not due to the headers. Although they can play that card on you too.

Anyone doing headers...remove your plugs, the put them back when the headers are on.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
I have to agree with Dragon22, the bill makes sense to me as well. It unfortunately doesn't roll into the shop with a sign on top that say BROKEN SPARK PLUG what you pay for is a skilled tech it find, diagnose and then correct the problem. Sorry it costs but we all expect to get paid when we go to work. Even Mechanics funny eh?
Meltdownaverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Silver Ice Man

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring limited edition
Gotta also agree with Dragon22, I did pull my plugs to avoid any extra problems.
The the tuner/code reader has saved me many times on various vehicles.
MODS: CIA cold air intake, Oil catch can, Dynatech LT Headers, Dynatech Power cats, Dynatech Cat back exhaust, Janetty racing tune, Vitesse throttle controller, Headlight and marker tint, more to follow....
Silver Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
PremoDeluxe

Yeah I have a reader but it was at home I just panicked and went right to Chevy .. I believe it was because of the scan they charged so much