Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #57
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I have to agree with everyone who says just drive it, its not worth it.

The muscle car boom was lightning in a bottle for reasons already outlined in this post. The car market is much bigger and more diverse now, back then the only way to "go fast" for a reasonable price was a muscle car. The kids of that day became the rich adults and drove prices. Now there are SO many more choices Muscle cars like ours, Japanese cars like the GT-R, German cars like the M3 and C63 AMG, etc.

Even the muscle car boom isn't as crazy as youd think. The $3500 it cost to buy a 69 SS new is $22,500 today. Sure makes that $30-$40,000 price at BJ seem a little less crazy.

In 1986-1987 GM made 27,000 Grand Nationals, arguably the most desirable/collectable Muscle car since 1973. New loaded it was $17,000, which in today's dollars is about $35,000. Problem is, you can get a clean ultra low mileage one for around $17-$20k. So the guy who stored that, didn't even break even (having to store a car for 28 years).

But to do one better, there were 547 GNX's made, at $29,900 each which comes out to $62,000 today.... right about what youd pay for a low mileage mint one on ebay now. So again, barely broke even on storing a car for 28 years.

Both cars far more collectible than any 5thgen save the COPO and maybe Z/28. On top of that many more people these days save cars because they think they will be worth something. In the 60's and 70's cars were stuff to be used, nobody saved them everyone just beat the wheels off of them. My Dad's cousin went through 3 or 4 in a year, he crashed his GTO, went out and bought a RoadRunner the next day, cars were almost disposable, as they were a far lower percentage of the average person's yearly salary. People would toss them out like they tossed a broken refrigerator.

Moral of the story, drive it, don't worry about the value, because until these cars are ancient (and I mean ANCIENT) history, they won't ever give you any ROI, other than the joy in your heart of driving it...... which to me is worth every penny.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #58
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
The 5th gen will only be worth what someone is willing to pay for it 20+ years from now. Whoda thought rock em sock em robots would worth money.......a freaking princess beanie baby going for half a million......you just never know.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #59
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
You do realize that a $14,000 car from 1985 that's worth $20,000 in 2015 did not appreciate...not by a long shot when you factor in inflation and the cost to own, store, and just maintain a car for 30 years...and to be honest, while some may be "asking" 20 grand, I don't think too many 1985 Z28s are changing hands for that kind of coin...even low mileage garage queens.
Yea, cars are not a good investment but based on what your saying then houses do not appreciate when you calculate in the maintenance. Utilities, taxes, etc... I don't think anyone would buy a new camaro as an investment to make money on.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #60
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
I think we are talking about two different things in this thread..... Collector cars and cars just keeping a good to excellent resale value. I am as guilty as anyone in mixing up the two.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #61
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I only drive my car as a pleasure vehicle for fun. So it gets I guess 8500 miles a year. And is mostly winter parked but our winters are nasty. I'm only using the car this way as I want it to last a long time and be in great shape all the while I own and use it. Resale value is not on my radar in the way I use it.

If I care for it well and it looks and runs great for a long time it will save me some money from wanting to upgrade to something else. I have no desire to upgrade 6th Gen or not as this car is like new.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #62
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I think we are talking about two different things in this thread..... Collector cars and cars just keeping a good to excellent resale value. I am as guilty as anyone in mixing up the two.
Same here and its a very grey wide line also. True collector cars that will never see the road to collector-ish cars that while desirable they are not rare and are driven on weekends and to local shows or just for the joy of driving. Then there are just nice new enthusiast cars that are weekend toys that are low miles very well kept cars that just hope for good resale value.

Last edited by trashmanssd; 06-03-2015 at 10:02 AM.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #63
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I'll never understand why people buy cars and expect them to be worth more than what you paid for it one day.

The car that will probably bring in the most cash one day will be the '13 1LE's because there were so few pre-refresh models made. Anything else is mass produced, not even the new ZL1's will be worth as much IMO. It's not like the 60's where they made 70 some of the special cars. The Z/28 will probably also gain some returns as well just because it's probably the last Camaro you'll ever see with a 427.

Expecting bog standard Camaro's gain value will never happen.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #64
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
I'll never understand why people buy cars and expect them to be worth more than what you paid for it one day.

The car that will probably bring in the most cash one day will be the '13 1LE's because there were so few pre-refresh models made. Anything else is mass produced, not even the new ZL1's will be worth as much IMO. It's not like the 60's where they made 70 some of the special cars. The Z/28 will probably also gain some returns as well just because it's probably the last Camaro you'll ever see with a 427.

Expecting bog standard Camaro's gain value will never happen.
Rare != Valuable. the 13 1LE's may command a small premium some day over a regular SS, but in all likelihood it will make no difference. 1LE to a regular SS is not the 69 COPO to a standard 69 SS.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #65
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I think your plan is great, but I promise you that I did not have 75% to put down on the 1LE or the Avalanche that I would have been comfortable putting down, but I also knew that I could handle the payments based on a careful handle on the cash flow. Your advice is sound, and I watch younger folks put themselves in bad spots all the time. If you did yourself a big hole out of the gate, it is a bear to play catch up.
I didn't say you had to put 75% down - but you should have 75% of the cash lying around if you wanted to.

If you don't, you will have a cay payment similar to your property tax bill, possibly greater. This is precisely why most people retire at poverty levels. Being able to handle the payments means that the payments were directly affecting your ability to invest into your retirement. That's not good, and $350/mo now will translate into 4 figures of disposable income per month lost during retirement. Is $350/mo now worth $1,000-1,500/mo in income during retirement? For me it isn't, and it's why so many older people are forced to work as greeters or live on a poverty-level fixed income in their 60's, 70's and beyond. It is customary to retire in a lower economic class than you were during your working years in America because we are brainwashed by advertisements to want everything N-O-W. I don't want to be that. Especially with the ever-increasing cost of healthcare, and the ever-increasing chance you'll need it. It's only going to get worse.

Look at this.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...costs/2070397/

The average vehicle ownership in America is $9,000/year. For these cars, they are SUBSTANTIALLY higher - premium gas, below average economy, above-average purchase price, above-average insurance costs...add 20-50% to that number. The cost of a CAR in America is about the same as the cost of a HOME. What's wrong with that picture?
Old 06-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #66
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
This discussion reminds me of when Cadillac announced the LAST '76 Eldorado convertible.
People bought them up as an investment. Between storage, insurance, maintenance, etc,
they lost money big time. Drive and enjoy your 5th gens guys.... Life is too short.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #67
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Rare != Valuable. the 13 1LE's may command a small premium some day over a regular SS, but in all likelihood it will make no difference. 1LE to a regular SS is not the 69 COPO to a standard 69 SS.
That's a fair point

I'm still not going to park my car for the chance that it may be worth more than 30K one day lol
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #68
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I have to agree with everyone who says just drive it, its not worth it.

The muscle car boom was lightning in a bottle for reasons already outlined in this post. The car market is much bigger and more diverse now, back then the only way to "go fast" for a reasonable price was a muscle car. The kids of that day became the rich adults and drove prices. Now there are SO many more choices Muscle cars like ours, Japanese cars like the GT-R, German cars like the M3 and C63 AMG, etc.

Even the muscle car boom isn't as crazy as youd think. The $3500 it cost to buy a 69 SS new is $22,500 today. Sure makes that $30-$40,000 price at BJ seem a little less crazy.

In 1986-1987 GM made 27,000 Grand Nationals, arguably the most desirable/collectable Muscle car since 1973. New loaded it was $17,000, which in today's dollars is about $35,000. Problem is, you can get a clean ultra low mileage one for around $17-$20k. So the guy who stored that, didn't even break even (having to store a car for 28 years).

But to do one better, there were 547 GNX's made, at $29,900 each which comes out to $62,000 today.... right about what youd pay for a low mileage mint one on ebay now. So again, barely broke even on storing a car for 28 years.

Both cars far more collectible than any 5thgen save the COPO and maybe Z/28. On top of that many more people these days save cars because they think they will be worth something. In the 60's and 70's cars were stuff to be used, nobody saved them everyone just beat the wheels off of them. My Dad's cousin went through 3 or 4 in a year, he crashed his GTO, went out and bought a RoadRunner the next day, cars were almost disposable, as they were a far lower percentage of the average person's yearly salary. People would toss them out like they tossed a broken refrigerator.

Moral of the story, drive it, don't worry about the value, because until these cars are ancient (and I mean ANCIENT) history, they won't ever give you any ROI, other than the joy in your heart of driving it...... which to me is worth every penny.

I don't know if it's just me but when I look at a Grand national it just doesn't have any curb appeal. I see a mid eighties Monte Carlo, there might not be many of them and I can see why. They don't hold a candle to the 5th Gen Camaro in my opinion. I didn't buy one then and I wouldn't buy one now.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #69
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
The difference is, in 69 people didn't sit around and debate on how valuable their cars would be if they quit driving them and "saved" them for 20 years.
Maybe, maybe not. found this after searching for .25 seconds.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0...amaro/4-Speed/
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:50 AM   #70
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumminxx View Post
Yea, cars are not a good investment but based on what your saying then houses do not appreciate when you calculate in the maintenance. Utilities, taxes, etc... I don't think anyone would buy a new camaro as an investment to make money on.

No cars aren't a great investment compared to actual investments, but then again, you can't really take a CD or IRA out for a nice cruise down a windy road or see the joy on your 16 year olds face when you surprise them with the keys on prom night. Some things are hard to put a dollar amount on.

Wonder if anyone has ever told Jay Leno his car collection would be better off as a mutual fund?

Last edited by Chevy_cowboy; 06-04-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Chevy_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote