Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Camaro RS

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
Smelly car (mold?)

My 2007 Buick Lucerne (winter car) smells very strongly like mold when I get in the car first thing and then every time after I have left the car for awhile. My mechanic searched for dead animals but found nothing. I never eat or drink in my cars so that's not the issue. My mechanic replaced the cabin air filter and deodorized the car but it still smells. Does anyone have any advice? I have looked all over the car and I can't see any mold or the source of the smell.
Camaro RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
its probably wet carpet, check wheel wells, trunk, or fishing bait under a seat.. hahaha
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
Or it could be caused by debris clogging drain for a/c. There is a product, forgive me I cannot remember, that you can spray into the incoming feed. I just Googled and found it. Good luck.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Had this a couple of times in other vehicles: Cured it every time:

Set the AC/ Heat blower on high, and spray Lysol into the air intakes. Turn the air off, shoot it straight down into the vents. Get Lysol everywhere that you can, thoughout the system. Once MIGHT do it, but doing it every day for a week will pretty much assure that anything smelling moldy/ musty in there will die a horrible death.

But, yeah, if it isn't that, I'd go with the wet carpet theory. I see that you live in "USA," so it's hard to guess if you experience humidity, heat, lots of precipitation, or none at all... but if you have the opportunity, a day or two of running a big blower through the interior might correct a wet carpet issue.

And... if anybody ever spills milk, or beer, or pond water in there, well... that'll take a lot of drying.

Finally... buy the little pine tree air fresheners in bulk!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Hmm, I had a similar recurring problem with my 2008 Impala. I think it was actually fairly common with the later w-bodies (Impala, Grand Prix, LaCrosse). Maybe the Lucerne used the same HVAC system? By the way, I found a TSB for your problem: 99-01-39-004D AUG 11, also issued for the 2007 LaCrosse and Impala. IIRC, it had to do with condensation on (in?) the cabin air filter.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Camaro RS

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
Thanks for the advice. Smell seems to be gone. Hopefully it won't come back. I had a body shop clean heating unit and then detailed.
Camaro RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
glad u got it fixed..
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote