Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
Car detailing

I am in no way faulting those of you that spend hours and big $ cleaning, waxing etc. etc. I commend you on wanting and having the drive to do so. But what is the purpose to spend that much time and money cleaning your car? Unless you have a show car. I do buy my cleaning supplies from Walmart and wash the car when it is dirty. And just about any Joe/Josephine off the street probably won't notice the difference from what I do and what those of you that spend hours cleaning yours do. Is spending that much time and money going to make your car last longer than mine? Just some questions and in NO WAY criticizing those of you that do.
BkinBlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Most of the people that spend the time and money cleaning their cars, do it on a regular basis (ie: at least once a week) and not just "when it's dirty". And yes, after a few years you will be able to tell the difference. Keeping it clean makes is easier to clean and helps prevent the stains/water marks, etc. that are common on cars that aren't kept clean.

No offense meant, but the typical person that just washes a car when it's dirty, also doesn't spend the time to actually get it clean.

I don't spend a lot of money on supplies, but I spend money on quality products. There are some useable products at WalMart, but I'd rather spend a little more and get a better product.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Some people look at a car and say it's just a car, those who believe that will never understand why some of us take such good car of our cars.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
It's just a matter of personal preference. I enjoy keeping my car looking it's absolute best. No it's not a show car and will never be, but I get a sense of satisfaction of keeping it as clean and scratch free as I possibly can.

I cannot buy products at Wal-Mart that will accomplish this. They don't sell any high lubricity soaps, they do sell a foam gun but it's a piece of junk, they don't sell any high quality microfiber for washing, drying, or wax/sealant removal, but only Chinese that is much more brittle and susceptible to marring the surface. The waxes they sell are all lower end, and will stain trim.

But if someone is happy with the results they get with stuff sold at Wal-Mart, it is their car, and as long as they are happy, that's all that matters.

Some people enjoy racing their cars, I've never raced mine and never will, just not my thing. If someone else enjoys that, go for it, have fun.

As far as lasting longer, that has to do with how well/often the regular maintenance is done. Oil, transmission, filters, brakes, etc., and also how the car is driven.

Keeping the exterior/interior surfaces in the best shape you can will have an impact on the resale value as well. But for most detailing enthusiasts, personal pride of having a clean, shiny, swirl free ride is why it's done. Plus, I like it when a complete stranger comes up to me and says, "Your car looks ______"

(beautiful, awesome, terrific) or whatever superlative they choose.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
[QUOTE=Joe M 2012 2SS;8497506]It's just a matter of personal
I cannot buy products at Wal-Mart that will accomplish this. They don't sell any high lubricity soaps, they do sell a foam gun but it's a piece of junk, they don't sell any high quality microfiber for washing, drying, or wax/sealant removal, but only Chinese that is much more brittle and susceptible to marring the surface. The waxes they sell are all lower end, and will stain trim.

I disagree the Meguiar's Ultimate line can be found at walmart all base of Detailer line of products, witch do a good job Ultimate wax dose not stain trim.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

[QUOTE=Jackpot;8497541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
It's just a matter of personal

I disagree the Meguiar's Ultimate line can be found at walmart all base of Detailer line of products, witch do a good job Ultimate wax dose not stain trim.

I haven't used Ultimate Wax, so I will rephrase and say "most" they sell will stain trim. The objective of a wax or sealant is protection, the UPW from what I have researched gets about 3-4 months of durability, which isn't bad, but their are much better available.

I have used UC and UP. Their are other products that will provide better cut and finish down to a much higher gloss than these can achieve.

I have seen none of the "Detailer Line" of Megs products at any Wal-Mart I've been to. This could vary from store to store.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 06-23-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
What's the point in you wanting a response to explain our selves. You seem comfortable with your routine.
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Jackpot

[QUOTE=Joe M 2012 2SS;8497570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post

I haven't used Ultimate Wax, so I will rephrase and say "most" they sell will stain trim. The objective of a wax or sealant is protection, the UPW from what I have researched gets about 3-4 months of durability, which isn't bad, but their are much better available.

I have used UC and UP. Their are other products that will provide better cut and finish down to a much higher gloss than these can achieve.

I have seen none of the "Detailer Line" of Megs products at any Wal-Mart I've been to. This could vary from store to store.
UC and UP are base on 105 and 205 with more oil so they have less cut but
I find they dust a lot less and I think they finish better.
and 105 and 205 are all I use in my paint room.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

For the OP, since you live in Wisconsin, if you upgraded to one better product than you currently use, I would make it Collinite 845 wax.

I'm sure the winter months are tough up there, and this will provide you with excellent protection for your paint. It's not very expensive either, around $18 a bottle, you just have to warm it up and shake it really well to dissolve all the clumps in it, and put it on thin. It will by far trump any kind of protection that's available at Wal-Mart.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
If you're not a "car guy," you'll never understand.
(and I'd never buy things for my car in a Walmart, eek)
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
It's because we ARE the ones who will notice the difference. Once we notice, we cant unnotice. Cleaning my car is therapeutic (except the interior) but I enjoy driving my car much much more when the interior is clean so I spend time doing that as well. Most of the equipment is a one time purchase and those big purchases (ie polisher) will improve the condition of your car. As far as chemicals go, I buy bulk and high quality products which are generally more concentrated which means you use less. So I probably spend less on chemicals than a Walmart or pep boys shopper
Old 06-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
Jackpot

Collinite 845 wax will out last Ultimate Wax but Ultimate Wax is much more user friendly. so it depends on what your after.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
Jackpot

perp is the key to finish and how long a wax will last so if you just washing and applying wax your better off with a wax from walmart that has a cleaner and fillers in the mix.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
If you're not a "car guy," you'll never understand.
(and I'd never buy things for my car in a Walmart, eek)
I WILL NOT ever drive my car into a WalMart parking lot
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote