Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 09-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
TobysZL1

Drives: ZL1 Gone but not Forgotten!
Question.. X PIPE with Headers and NPP.

This is basically for you guys who have long tubes hooked up to your stock Npp with an X pipe.
Yesterday I just put on my headers with high flow cats to my stock cat back and overall I'm very very thrilled with the new more aggressive sound. I don't know much about adding an X pipe to the system and was wondering what kind of benefits this would have? Would it make my system quieter? Would it give it an even lower tone, more muscular?
Any insight to this mod would be of great help. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
TobysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
TobysZL1

No one have this set up? Can't be???

Old 09-12-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
I am doing headers with test pipes instead of high flow cats. I was considering doing their resonated x-pipe to possibly quiet it down if I feel it is too loud. From what I've seen it does seem to quiet it down... A lot...

With high flow cats, I don't think I'd do an x-pipe.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:25 AM   #4
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
I am doing headers with test pipes instead of high flow cats. I was considering doing their resonated x-pipe to possibly quiet it down if I feel it is too loud. From what I've seen it does seem to quiet it down... A lot...

With high flow cats, I don't think I'd do an x-pipe.
why wouldn't you do the x-pipe with high flows?
Also what are test pipes?

Old 09-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #5
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
No help on our ZL1's but I have a 3" X pipe on my 489 Chevelle and it makes it sound like it's revving higher than it is. Still muscular sound at idle and explosive midrange power but more like a litre bike sound at wot, if that makes sense.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:39 AM   #6
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
No help on our ZL1's but I have a 3" X pipe on my 489 Chevelle and it makes it sound like it's revving higher than it is. Still muscular sound at idle and explosive midrange power but more like a litre bike sound at wot, if that makes sense.
I appreciate the info man but unfortunately I don't think the sound of your 489 is going to be the same sound as my ZL1.
But thanks for the info, it's still nice to know it's giving out a lower muscular tone instead of a raspy one.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
why wouldn't you do the x-pipe with high flows?
Also what are test pipes?

Test pipes are basically just hollowed out cats and therefore they are louder. The xpipe will quiet it down a good bit and high flow cats already do that. I think the sound with LT headers and high flow cats is pretty good, but with test pipes it MIGHT be a little too loud for my liking. I will know for sure very soon.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
Here are my 2 cents from what I've heard about the X pipe.

It's really not needed if you're trying to get any performance gain out of it. The only thing the x pipe is going to do (for a ZL1) is make it quieter, with a little more low end, refined sound. I don't think you'll have an issue with noise having headers and high flow cats.

I run headers and no cats, and it is very loud, but only when you're on it. I can cruise on the highway no problem, but when I'm WOT, I can't even hear my blower anymore, or anything else for that matter. When I cold start my car in my garage with the windows down, it hurts my ears a little, but I like it haha. I also have the M2W switch that helps out a lot when going through my neighborhood at night. When my flaps are closed, it's pretty much the same volume as it was when they were open with stock exhaust.

Basically, I can see the reason you might want an x pipe running headers and no cats, but I don't think it'll be worth it when running high flow cats.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL W0N View Post
When my flaps are closed, it's pretty much the same volume as it was when they were open with stock exhaust.
If this is true I will be very happy.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
polarisiq93

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
i have headers and high flows with corsa exhaust imo its pretty loud and raspy. I was thinking about doing the resonated x pipe
polarisiq93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
TobysZL1

I actually wouldn't be doing an x pipe cause of hp gain, I could care less if it gives you 5 more hp.
And I do like the sound of my headers with high flows and npp, it's just that I hear an x pipe will give you a lower muscular tone and I love the idea of rumble instead of raspyness. Not like my system is real raspy or anything but deeper tone just sounds good to me. I thought this is what an x pipe did?
I don't know though, after researching it seems maybe a true X instead of a resonated X is what I'm looking for.
Anyone??

Old 09-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
merrell13

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I have kook headers, green cats, x pipe, and npp exhaust. I also have the m2w switch. Sounds great with no drone. I highly recommend.. You can hear on my facebook.

Merrell Hughes
merrell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #13
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrell13 View Post
I have kook headers, green cats, x pipe, and npp exhaust. I also have the m2w switch. Sounds great with no drone. I highly recommend.. You can hear on my facebook.

Merrell Hughes
Man any other way you can send me this video? I don't do Facebook! This would be very helpful cause are setups are very identical.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
The x-pipe won't quiet it down, but it will get rid of the truck sound that comes with LT's. I run Kooks LT's w/green cats and had the Magnaflow x-pipe and liked it a lot. I just finished installing a BBK 2-3/4" x-pipe with mid pipes that go all the way back to the stock mufflers. It retains the better x-pipe sound but deeper and less raspy. Kind of a poor mans catback.
True X pipe or resonated one?
When you had the Magnaflow that is......