Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Fake Email from Scott Settlemire

Hey guys and gals,

It's been awhile since I have posted anything on Camaro5, but today I need to let you know about a fake email that you may receive.

On 26 Sept 2017 I received an email from who I thought was Scott Settlemire.

I have had a few conversations with him, so I felt at first it was real.

After reading it I concluded that it is not real, but in fact a PHISHING scam to gain access to login and password information via a hyper link.

Here are a few tips to look for if you receive an email like this.

1. Scott is retired. He shouldn't have a GM email anymore. This was a dead give away for me.

2. The exposed email in the FROM line is very different than the one listed in the body.

3. The hyper link has an extension of .com.au, this is from Australia. Yes granted GM has had factories in Australia. This however is from Truguard which is a security company. I highly doubt Scott has business dealings with them.

These are a few things to look for. If it looks to good to be true OR if someone sends you an invoice for something you don't remember ordering DON'T open the hyperlink OR respond to the email. Just delete it.

If you did click on the hyperlink and input your username and password, I HIGHLY suggest changing all your passwords to every account you have access too. It would be better if you did this from another system that did not open the email or hyper link. I say this because their could be a key logger program running in the background due to opening that hyperlink.

Always keep up to date anti virus programs, and keep your information safe.

There are a lot of smart IT and cyber people on this site. Feel free to ask questions, we're all here to help and keep everyone safe.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Thanks for the info!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
Thanks for the info!
Yes. Appreciate that very much.......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
As you can see, the email address is admin@centralcarsthanet.co.uk
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote