Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #57
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Cam and heads really wake up an LS3. It certainly did to mine.

An LS7 top end on an LS3 is one of the best combinations for a stock cubed LS3

Post a video!!!

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #58
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker 728 View Post
I hope I am doing right, this is my first post.

I just want to tell the World how pleased I am with the Max Package from GPI I installed in my LS3 2012 Camaro.

My car now pulls like a freight train, sounds like a beast and turns heads everywhere I go. Every time I go for a cruise, people compliment on how the car sounds.

I haven't put it on a Dyno yet, but I am sure that the numbers that GPI posted will be the same. (maybe better)

After installation, my mechanic took the car the drag strip. His 1/4 mile time wasn't impressive, but I don't think the poor time was the cars inability, but a just someone who isn't used to the car.

Here are his times, and tell me what you guys think.
60'.............2.41 seconds.
1/4 mile......13.0 seconds @ 114 MPH

He said the spun right out of the hole and spun into second. He also said that he shifted at 6700-6800 rpm's to take it easy. Let me say that the rev-limiter is set at 7400 and that is where the magic is.

I'm embarrassed with the ET, but I am pleased with the trap speed. I know that the next time the car sees the drag stripe, I will be at the helm and drop the ET time and raise the trap. I'll post that when it happens.

Thanks for reading.
Ironworker - thanks for sharing. The times your mechanic put down don't even begin to showcase what your setup is capable of. Once you get things dialed in low 11's/high 10's should be well within your grasp if you're on an appropriate tire.

If you haven't already, you should really consider a gear swap. It'll make you happier cruising, and especially at the strip.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #59
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Big fail on the strip; shifting high not good you want to shift when the power is too the ground that's what moves you...spinning a LS higher and loosing the limit is not something my tuner does for bozos and he's the best in the NW...special top ends need to be installed for higher RPMs for ls engines with normal ls3 heads going higher RPM and that's just showing higher HP maybe if lucky up there but on most cams your way way into diminishing returns for power to the ground.... that 60 foot is what a AMC pacer should net with a grandma and that makes the whole race for a lot of people...…….. spinnin aint winnin……….and there still is no substitution for the cubic inch solution, heck even watch some 405 guys on the tube they running low torque high HP stock cubes? revving it too the moon not so good things can go boom and you may want to talk to RDP who do make things like linked kits etc for high revs for those that actually need it, most cams ...NO, and BTW most springs...tested to 7000 rpm for the ls engine. Just some stuff from a old hot rodder.

Revving to the moon that's Mustang..... they dream of our torque. Launch; unmodified rear suspension most say about 3500 below even the stock launch control numbers better, p.s. don't wheel hop it death and break the rear axles.... and for gods sake shift at a reasonable shift point, my aftermarket shift light is set to shift me around 5550 high in torque because by the time I shift 100s later I shift at a point above my torque peak but below my HP peak and far before the curve falls so I am in the ZONE....

Theres power under the curve to be had, over it ..not so much...LOL and that's from old school. I traded HP for torque; cant go back, don't ever want to.
Besides the huge advantage of flow the ls7 heads sport for most is the ability to do it with 1.8 rockers allowing a lower lift cam to produce power less top end friendly for springs etc....that's where a ls7 gets the 7k limit in the whatever.....not using 1.7 rockers is good I wish I could go there and will someday.....But blowing the limit so high is not where the magic is its where stuff go's boom IMO ……… And dude lined up by you passing you while your concentration is on a piece of paper the dyno chart and revving to the moon ..not so good, you have to have a racing cam made for racing making power at that level and the correct top end. Sure you may make power up there with the correct cam which most aftermarket cams are not guys use on here, the deal is also dude shifting at 5500 just roasted your butt down in his power band while you thought about a dyno chart.

Cubes matter, that's why they made those ls7 heads for the ls7 a actually 428... now I wont own one of those they can only be over honed .005 a real spendy deal not so good...… I would LSX and may someday a little weight for the ability to replace sleeves , stroke to the moon etc.... and what most use and used in the past on here the Night Farty, etc they are tamer compared to real full race cams and yes I ran a cam better than the night farty….there are real monsters out there, sporting 600 700 cubes long tunnel rams, twin turbos etc and they are not so small and drink gas like a pig making more power and more torque I dream of, so don't spin it to the moon too much and realize and keep it real to avoid disaster is my best advice and for gods sake improve the rear suspension some with some trailing arms and toes. Spinning aint winning; yes well spin and then catch ; spin and catch that's called wheel hop and shatters a axle if it happens too much and launching loosing it spinning too high off the bat a great way to loose a race as most don't have power to reel the competition in and take them with top end power.

Anyway that's a couple things IMO....LOL have a nice day. And someday maybe I can afford a set of those small bore ls7 heads and cam up for them; most flatter aftermarket cams don't need that flow but the deal is they are still great heads, remember our stock cubes 376 our stock ls3 heads flow better than ported BBC 454 heads and that's great for most stock builds, the ls7 heads with 1.8 rockers are great for a stock build with a milder lift cam shaft than some use on here for the longevity of the top end springs especially etc as your multiplying the lift with the rocker, also the heads can sport the nice MSD intake they did not make for the ls3 as stock is so good they could not make it monetarily feasible I know over the years on here. Many advantages to lots of nice parts just having the money for what goes with them …$$$$$$ adds up and especially if your into racing not just street strip /daily. Heck a roll cage, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc he with the most money does usually win. But he may come up to a guy who does know how to use the power under the curve and get bent. http://www.themusclecarguy.net/area-under-the-curve/

And that saying HP is how fast you hit the wall torque is how far you move it....not so much either; heres a Nerd looking dude explaining
;and I will interpret in old muclehead..LOL Much faster and blunt as hell...…... HP shows how hard your engine is working and how fast it raises torque the power that moves you.

Basic but ugly, so a engine that can raise HP fast with low torque is way weak compared to one that can raise higher torque even if its slower raising the torque..... a comparison you can find on places such as that last article of muscle car guy with the different sized engine displacements. I like when stroking a engine the boost in torque, I also like how FI increases the airflow to simulate a larger displacement in a engine forcing more air to make more compression. We are a air pump. SO our engines are also...LOL

And anyway a nice balance for under the curve power is essential raising the torque up off the bat kick arse. You can compare it to something that gets high HP numbers with low torque raised right away versus a slower raise higher torque for an analogy just for that. And in that analogy Torque wins, Torque kind of always being the one that does win the race always really produce the work!!!!!! Hp shows how fast making it was and how hard and efficient making that torque is in the engine. A real reason many do not go all out higher HP number higher lift close LSA cams because the power under the curve is so great for moving a heavy chevy without going all out and aiming for torque instead to maximize the area...………..

I of course have read a lot of the posts of the new heads being small bore which I hoped over time would be most cost effective for a stroker, many on here stroked to 416s and with great results and good heads can be replaced with even better heads; and over time those heads can become more affordable....that's where this combo package becomes so sweet, and the ability to go to even more all out use as in supercharging etc...where you really need even making more power form more cubes because it really is all about; Go big or go home..... Just some thoughts...he with most money wins...not always...LOL And traps should be below 1.6 as much more representing what it should be or around that area for a good run at least.....cause..spinnin aint winnin..LOL a better tshirt……. And even better heads on a even bigger engine.....that's the ticket... LOL for N/A but also true for FI. And its shown on when they put the heads/cam on a stroker, and can be even more with FI but the cam should be more tailored for FI. Peace out Saturday morning...

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-04-2018 at 10:46 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #60
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
We have compared our ls3 heads to the gmpp ls3 heads and those dyno results are on the website. Our ls3 Head beat the gmpp head but for the money the gm Head is a nice option

This ls7 max setup is above and beyond any ported ls3 casting by far.

Cam specs are 226/246 I believe. I’m at home and I have all my info at work. Pause the vid on the dyno sheet. I think it’s on the bottom.

We offer both configurations and pricing on our site.
Which heads will work with the GPI SS3 Cam for an LS3? Will the GMPP differences from GPI porting make much difference in gains?
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:42 PM   #61
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2342 View Post
Which heads will work with the GPI SS3 Cam for an LS3? Will the GMPP differences from GPI porting make much difference in gains?
Either the Max Package head or our ported 821/823 castings will work with the SS3 camshaft. We outperform the GMPP heads with our porting. It's not as if you can expect us to double the gain, but that last 10-20% can definitely be worth a few extra bucks if you're going through the trouble of changing the heads.

Our "New" Max Package is in it's final development and testing stages and should release in the upcoming couple months. We've reworked quite a few of the limitations on the original, and have an even better result. They absolutely dominate even a well ported 821/823 casting. We're really looking forward to sharing those results, we'll definitely drop a post here and through all the social media platforms. If you've got questions I can help answer now, feel free to reach me directly.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:14 PM   #62
rich2342

The ones on the gpi site are 281cc 98 cc intake/exhaust. Is that same ones?
Old 01-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #63
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2342 View Post
The ones on the gpi site are 281cc 98 cc intake/exhaust. Is that same ones?
Yes - that's our CNC porting program on OEM 821/823 castings.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #64
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Eggplant!

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #65
rich2342

Potato!!
Old 01-26-2022, 03:49 PM   #66
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
I can vouch for the gpi max package. Makes the car run and sound like a dream. Works perfect with a centri blower if you realy want to push it. Was amazed at how this thing runs once i bolted the blower on
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote