Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
neomastino

Drives: Ford RS
AWE Catback with Link Pipes

Does anyone have any experience with link pipes with the AWE Catback non resonated touring exhaust? Namely how’s the sound? Is it significantly louder?

Thanks
neomastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
You may find this helpful...Comparison of PLP's and no PLP's on an otherwise identical Track setup. This will be similar to the Touring, just louder and some more aggressive characteristics.

For many reasons, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the PLP's.
1) You won't have to cut up the factory exhaust. The PLP's bolt to the factory primary cats.
2) You remove the unmonitored secondary cats which should pick you up a few ponies and gain some volume without ruining the experience of the sound.
3) If you like some decel rumble/pops, eliminating the secondary cats increases those, in my experience.
4) Did I mention you could pickup power and don't have to cut the factory system? For me, that is reason enough.

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #3
CharlieRomeo

Drives: 2020 White ZLE A10
I’m really glad someone asked this question. I have an AWE Touring exhaust sitting in its box and I ordered PLPs earlier this week. I was curious on how it will actually sound. I’ve hardly seen any good videos on YouTube of a good sound comparison.
CharlieRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #4
ryan_moore2124

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
I don’t know how to post a video here on a reply, but I have a cold start and rev clip with my AWE non resonated Touring catback with secondary cat deletes on my Instagram (rpm_zl1). I also posted to the 6th Gen ZL1 Camaro Facebook page.
ryan_moore2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
CharlieRomeo

Drives: 2020 White ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_moore2124 View Post
I don’t know how to post a video here on a reply, but I have a cold start and rev clip with my AWE non resonated Touring catback with secondary cat deletes on my Instagram (rpm_zl1). I also posted to the 6th Gen ZL1 Camaro Facebook page.
I stalked your Instagram to find it. Your car sounds mean bro! My neighborhood is going to haaaaaate me. Lol. I can’t wait to get all this crap I have installed.
CharlieRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
neomastino

Drives: Ford RS
Awesome, thank you all for the info, much appreciated!
neomastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
For just convenience alone, I would highly recommend the PLP. With them, you don't have to cut the OEM exhaust. Just disconnect and install the AWE.
I have the track edition, but if you pull up a recent you-tube video from woman.driver. She just added PLP to her ZL-1 and has a comparison video before and after the PLPs. She has the track edition, but you will get the idea.

IMHO....there is no better aftermarket exhaust for the ZL-1 then AWE!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 08-10-2019 at 11:42 AM.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
ryan_moore2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRomeo View Post
I stalked your Instagram to find it. Your car sounds mean bro! My neighborhood is going to haaaaaate me. Lol. I can’t wait to get all this crap I have installed.
Oh, you’re going to love it lol. Cold starts are stupid loud.
ryan_moore2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
God I’m drooling. I need that exhaust in a bad way
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #10
Tuner2muscle

ok so I was about to install this kit but there is only 1 clamp and it look too small to fit on the OEM muffler.

I'm thinking the clamp is to replace the stock clamp on the driver side pipe... ???
How does the AWE pipe mate with the muffler, with the gasket sealant only??

Confused....
Tuner2muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #11
Mize442

Drives: Current driver AMC emlin X 5ltr.
What is PLP?
Mize442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #12
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mize442 View Post
What is PLP?
Performance Link Pipe

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #13
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner2muscle View Post
ok so I was about to install this kit but there is only 1 clamp and it look too small to fit on the OEM muffler.

I'm thinking the clamp is to replace the stock clamp on the driver side pipe... ???

Confused....
Which kit do you have? If you have the catback with the PLP, the entire OEM exhaust from the primary cats to the tips are removed. If memory serves me correctly the clamp on the driver's side is attached to the pipe. That is what you use to attach the driver's side PLP to what is left of the OEM exhaust.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:00 PM   #14
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
AWE Catback with Link Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner2muscle View Post

Confused....

do yourself a favor and throw their clamp in the trash can and either re use the original or replace the clamp with a OEM GM clamp. GM # 22860193. they are a little pricey at the dealer parts counter but you can usually find one on ebay much cheaper.
i couldn't get mine to quick leaking which will equal a check engine light, i torqued it to their spec, it leaked , i over torqued it slightly and it still leaked. it isn't a very strong clamp. i even used sealer when i installed the link pipes.
the original clamp can be re used if you remove it very carefully. i didn't have a new one on hand when i did my exhaust so i reused it. it is attached to the pipe, but you can get up in there with a small air saw used for body work and and slice the attachment point, its a small cut. then carefully spread the metal band open and very carefully loosen the graphite exhaust packing that wraps around the pipe. i made sure i placed the clamp back in the original position. if i knew ahead of time i would definitely of had a new one on hand, that is the easiest way to go. hope this helps.
Attached Images