Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Josh@Lashway

Drives: 15' C7, 10' Camaro, 02' Camaro
Interesting find while logging the first dyno pulls regarding intake...

If you want to hear some of the more technical aspects when it comes to intake design ill try my best to explain what i mean by this...

One of the first things we, as performance shops, look for when deciding on aftermarket intakes and designing them is looking at how well the factory intake is performing. And based on my logging its performing pretty bad.....

when logging the intake manifold pressure we look for pressure in the manifold, specifically vacuum under WOT, meaning the car is trying to suck in air through the intake but the intake or something is holding it back.

we log the INTAKE MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE measured in KPA...
ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE is equal to 99-103kpa depending on elevation, anything below 101kpa is vacuum and anything higher then 101kpa is pressure (like with a supercharger or turbo).

while logging a stock 2016 Camaro SS i measured this parameter and found to to be 96kpa at 6200rpm, which is legitimate vacuum in the manifold (a little more then an inch of vacuum)... bring this number to 101kpa with a aftermarket intake would definitely improve hp at higher rpms.....

I included a screenshot of the log...
Attached Images

Josh@Lashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Is the SS intake the same as the C7?

I'm sure FAST or someone will come out with a better alternative. But, will have to see if it's really worth it for a bolt on car.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Is the SS intake the same as the C7?

I'm sure FAST or someone will come out with a better alternative. But, will have to see if it's really worth it for a bolt on car.
Hes talking about the air filter box and ducting, not the manifold itself. So decent gains can be expected from a CAI
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
Hes talking about the air filter box and ducting, not the manifold itself. So decent gains can be expected from a CAI
Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
It would be very interesting to see a comparison with Chevy's new Performance Air Intake for the 2016 Camaro. The web site claims "It is available for LT1 applications and reduces air intake restriction by 17% at peak airflow (350gr per second)." I think the intake includes a tune update to the ECU too.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
Josh@Lashway

Drives: 15' C7, 10' Camaro, 02' Camaro
We are going to start working on our own aftermarket intake soon, one that requires no tune and a larger one that will require a custom calibration, more for the guys running cams and things like that...
Josh@Lashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Looking forward to it Josh! Boxed intakes are always too restrictive...
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Boxed intakes are always too restrictive...
Not really true...if anything, most air intakes that have open filters make less power and aren't even true cold air intakes. All they do is pull in hot air. I'd take a well engineered "boxed" air intake that pulls air from the fender, or behind the grille, over one with an open filter 9/10 times. Looking forward to see what the aftermarket will give us...
Old 12-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
Ricardo@Phastek

Drives: the boss nuts....
Send a message via AIM to Ricardo@Phastek Send a message via Yahoo to Ricardo@Phastek
Keep up the good work!!
Ricardo@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
interesting read.

I'm still very interested in the GM intake and its supposed ECU flash it comes with. Maybe it gets much closer to neutral pressure.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@Lashway View Post
We are going to start working on our own aftermarket intake soon, one that requires no tune and a larger one that will require a custom calibration, more for the guys running cams and things like that...
Sounds great! More choices are better! The Chevy performance intake is a bit spendy so lots of room for alternatives in the market!
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@Lashway View Post
If you want to hear some of the more technical aspects when it comes to intake design ill try my best to explain what i mean by this...

One of the first things we, as performance shops, look for when deciding on aftermarket intakes and designing them is looking at how well the factory intake is performing. And based on my logging its performing pretty bad.....

when logging the intake manifold pressure we look for pressure in the manifold, specifically vacuum under WOT, meaning the car is trying to suck in air through the intake but the intake or something is holding it back.

we log the INTAKE MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE measured in KPA...
ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE is equal to 99-103kpa depending on elevation, anything below 101kpa is vacuum and anything higher then 101kpa is pressure (like with a supercharger or turbo).

while logging a stock 2016 Camaro SS i measured this parameter and found to to be 96kpa at 6200rpm, which is legitimate vacuum in the manifold (a little more then an inch of vacuum)... bring this number to 101kpa with a aftermarket intake would definitely improve hp at higher rpms.....

I included a screenshot of the log...
We're 86 KPA static here in Utah.... Interesting info and we can't wait for our car to arrive!!!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
We're 86 KPA static here in Utah.... Interesting info and we can't wait for our car to arrive!!!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
You're not the only one waiting for JDPM's car to arrive. Its clear people are really impressed with their SSs power/performance but you know that's going to eventually wear off and they'll be looking for even more. Keep us in the loop!
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
how does this compare to a factory stock LS3? if we know those numbers we can probably make some educated assumptions of gains that the LT1 will achieve with an aftermarket intake.