Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
6.2 rebuild/upgrade scenario

It will probably be a while before I start this but I'm OCD and try to plan out well in advance of starting a project so I will most likely be revisiting this thread sporadically over time, depending on how the discussion goes of course.

Plan: change L99 to LS3 top end and add supercharger - clean, port, polish top end while it's off (machine shop work). Possibly some bottom end work depending on how it looks. I will most likely remove the engine completely and have it on a stand while all this is going on so factor that into the equation. This will allow me to take my time, be as OCD as I want, and not kill my back while doing the work (I'm 6'4"). I'm not worried about any kind of numbers matching, my car hasn't been "stock" since it rolled into my garage.

Will it be worth the time & effort for me to "rebuild" my L99 in comparison to just buying a brand new crate engine (LSA)?

60,000 miles on the car.

Quick estimates just for parts cost:

LSA crate motor=$12000

L99 to LS3=$800
Supercharger=$7000-$9500

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
It will probably be a while before I start this but I'm OCD and try to plan out well in advance of starting a project so I will most likely be revisiting this thread sporadically over time, depending on how the discussion goes of course.

Plan: change L99 to LS3 top end and add supercharger - clean, port, polish top end while it's off (machine shop work). Possibly some bottom end work depending on how it looks. I will most likely remove the engine completely and have it on a stand while all this is going on so factor that into the equation. This will allow me to take my time, be as OCD as I want, and not kill my back while doing the work (I'm 6'4"). I'm not worried about any kind of numbers matching, my car hasn't been "stock" since it rolled into my garage.

Will it be worth the time & effort for me to "rebuild" my L99 in comparison to just buying a brand new crate engine (LSA)?

60,000 miles on the car.

Quick estimates just for parts cost:

LSA crate motor=$12000

L99 to LS3=$800
Supercharger=$7000-$9500

Thoughts? Thanks!

Unless you are for sure doing bottom end work, there is no need to remove the engine at all. It would be way more of a pain in the butt than anything else.

If you are considering upgrading the stock bottom end I would just go ahead and replace the whole thing with a crate and sell your stock engine to recoup some of the money
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Exactly what he said. If you pull it do bottom end as well
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
Yezzir600

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Not sure what the logic is above with getting a crate unless you had a completely blown block.

If you know you plan on going FI and your are going to L99>Ls3 conversion anyway AAAND are willing to pull the motor then to me it seems most logical to forge your current existing motor for half the cost of the "crate LSA".

And if you were set on a crate than i think the route you tank is an LSX or even one of these built short blocks from say maybe texas speed for again half the cost of the "crate LSA".

Unless what you like about the LSA route is the all in one package, to keep stock with GM reliability/driveablity and are willing to spend the money, fine. Personally I think the forged route above will provide way power and durability. The LSA route is power that you will get used to quickly and then requires modding anyway to reach what you inevitably will end up desiring and get sucked into anyway as we all do with our money pits... I mean race cars.

Moral of the story/rant... get ready for a snowball effect... double whatever budget you're planning on if FI is what you heart desires.

Did I get sidetracked here lol

Let me try this again... What WILL be your ultimate goal?
Key is to do it right from the start for a Best attempt at doing it ONCE. :-)

Last edited by Yezzir600; 05-17-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Yezzir600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If you're going to go with massive power ultimately then the LSA is a better place to start. It has a few extra internal measures that ensure reliability of the block under more extreme situations. However, if you're going for "stupid" amounts of power then you're better off going with a LSX block as it will hold together better in bigger boost applications. If you plan on only going with <750-800 rwhp then you should be able to get away with a LS3 conversion and a blower.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yezzir600 View Post
Not sure what the logic is above with getting a crate unless you had a completely blown block.

If you know you plan on going FI and your are going to L99>Ls3 conversion anyway AAAND are willing to pull the motor then to me it seems most logical to forge your current existing motor for half the cost of the "crate LSA".

And if you were set on a crate than i think the route you tank is an LSX or even one of these built short blocks from say maybe texas speed for again half the cost of the "crate LSA".

Unless what you like about the LSA route is the all in one package, to keep stock with GM reliability/driveablity and are willing to spend the money, fine. Personally I think the forged route above will provide way power and durability. The LSA route is power that you will get used to quickly and then requires modding anyway to reach what you inevitably will end up desiring and get sucked into anyway as we all do with our money pits... I mean race cars.

Moral of the story/rant... get ready for a snowball effect... double whatever budget you're planning on if FI is what you heart desires.

Did I get sidetracked here lol

Let me try this again... What WILL be your ultimate goal?
Key is to do it right from the start for a Best attempt at doing it ONCE. :-)
Well, I thought I made the logic pretty clear. LSA isn't the only crate or built engine available, however, swap engine and sell said engine to recoup some money. You may not end up breaking even after the sale, but you have a much better platform to start building power now and you won't have to pull the engine again once you have met you power imitations.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
pir4te
Moonshiner

Drives: Holden SS-V L77 flex fuel
10.4 CR L99 is a sucker for a blower vs LS3. Straight up I would go for VVT and LSA combo, less need to forge pistons than LS3, all easily tuned with e38 segments. BTW LSA cars (with e67) can't run VVT, and dropping in an LSA crate and retrofitting VVT is problematic and less than ideal.
60k miles is diddly, most TVS blower packages sole here in AU still warrant engines with those miles.
Lift and overhaul heads, simply go stock LS9 122 LSA cam but ground with 10º advance (112º intake centreline). So events would be continuously variable according to load and RPM with max Cam Authority @ 0.050" using phaser limiter without PTV:
IVO 8 to 18 ATDC, IVC 39 to 49 ABDC, 211 Duration
EVO 66 to 56 BBDC, EVC 16 to 6 BTDC, 230 Duration
Effectively a high performance Miller Cycle, using VVT to vary the expansion ratio, optimising the 1900 blower's island of efficiency / RPM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Yeah the necessary work to retrofit probably nullifies that idea.

I've had the VVT tuned out for about 3 years (Jannetty tunes).
I was thinking that switching to the LS3 top end would give me some added security against failures but I'm not certain on that front. Either way I don't want it or use it.

Also, and I'm not sure exactly how many, but out of those 60000 miles there are a lot of ghost miles due to me having smaller tires for about 2 years.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
pir4te
Moonshiner

Drives: Holden SS-V L77 flex fuel
No prob mate, I think I sold myself!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
sounds like you should just do the LSA conversion..offered by a vendor. If you want to go with a lot more boost its best to have forged pistons with rings meant for it , and yes the heads having better intake valves would be nice because that's one thing limiting the l99.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
....LSA bottom end has oil piston squirters too
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
....LSA bottom end has oil piston squirters too
Hopefully GM did a better job than dodge....I Had a 6.1 Hemi that had them and alot of reports of them coming off....

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote