Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
You can't "choose" when to shut down four of the eight cyllinders, unfortunately.

I have absolutely NO reservations that there will be a GT500 fighter, but I think it'll be a limited production, special edition version...
Old 09-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #30
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
I think I'm going to try and pick up an LS3 powered one slightly used, with only 5k or so miles on it.
same here

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #31
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Either way I don't have any problem with only one V8, I kind of like the idea actually. If there is a HIPO V6 putting out 300-320hp then that is just fine with me. We already know GM makes such an engine.
I agree. 1 V8 is fine. It's not like it's never been done, the 4th gens originally had just the base V6 and the V8 Z28 when they debuted.

The idea of 2 V6's is also fine. Years ago it wouldn't have sounded quite right, but with the popularity of powerful little 4cylinder cars, I think a 300ish hp V6 as an option is a good idea to appeal to the younger crowd. (No, I'm not saying all 'younglings' have no money, but most do not. I certainly know I had no great amount of money until I was in my upper 20's.)

So upon release what are we expecting? 250-V6, 300-V6 and a 400-V8? (All those #'s are just for an approximation.)

I also wonder why so many are hellbent there MUST be a 2nd V8 to compete with the Mustang GT500. Or at least, they talk as if this uber-Camaro would be a 'mainstream' model. GT500 is a limited production car, not mainstream. So the lack of a 2nd V8 in the Camaro, imo, is just for the cars for the masses. I'm sure there will be a limited production car to compete with the GT500, but I personally don't consider 'limited production' a part of a vehicle's 'regular' lineup.

So I believe the 2 V6's and 1 V8 will be for the everyday Camaro models that we will see most. They're probably keeping details about any GT500 competitor under tight wraps, or waiting to see how the mainstream Camaro's sell.

And I've said it before, and will again. Z28 should NOT be a limited production name. It should be mainstream. Let Z28 be the top regular production model and assign something entirely different to the limited model.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
The idea of 2 V6's is also fine. Years ago it wouldn't have sounded quite right, but with the popularity of powerful little 4cylinder cars, I think a 300ish hp V6 as an option is a good idea to appeal to the younger crowd. (No, I'm not saying all 'younglings' have no money, but most do not. I certainly know I had no great amount of money until I was in my upper 20's.) Exactly what GM is thinking, I'd gamble.

So upon release what are we expecting? 250-V6, 300-V6 and a 400-V8? (All those #'s are just for an approximation.)That's what I expect, no less(except for the base V6 - maybe closer to 230hp). But then who am I?

I also wonder why so many are hellbent there MUST be a 2nd V8 to compete with the Mustang GT500. Because there just has to be. It'd be an unanswered challenge. Or at least, they talk as if this uber-Camaro would be a 'mainstream' model. I don't understand that either. WTF? GT500 is a limited production car, not mainstream. So the lack of a 2nd V8 in the Camaro, imo, is just for the cars for the masses. I'm sure there will be a limited production car to compete with the GT500, but I personally don't consider 'limited production' a part of a vehicle's 'regular' lineup.Nicely said

So I believe the 2 V6's and 1 V8 will be for the everyday Camaro models that we will see most. They're probably keeping details about any GT500 competitor under tight wraps, or waiting to see how the mainstream Camaro's sell. Scott has said that right now, all they're working on is the normal Camaros, special editions will come later.

And I've said it before, and will again. Z28 should NOT be a limited production name. It should be mainstream. Let Z28 be the top regular production model and assign something entirely different to the limited model.Like SS? j/k But beautiful paragraph! (<== those are happy tears, btw...)
I apologise for my perhaps un-wanted commentary, but everything in the above quote is completely valid regarding the 5th gen Camaro's essence, and I had to add my own 0.02.

_
Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #33
EllwynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Like SS? j/k But beautiful paragraph! (<== those are happy tears, btw...)

I apologise for my perhaps un-wanted commentary, but everything in the above quote is completely valid regarding the 5th gen Camaro's essence, and I had to add my own 0.02.

_
I'm find with 'SS' being the limited production Camaro, but Z28 should be the 'Top Dawg' Mainstream production Camaro.

Though I WOULD prefer to see ZL1 or something more unique than the all-to-common 'SS' on the limited model. Even something entirely new would be nice. Pay homage to the poor departed Firebird by calling it the Camaro Phoenix or something. LOL

I used to (years ago) have a great idea (well, I thought it was) for the Camaro's 'mascot' to be a dragon. I mean, the Mustang had it's horsie, the Firebird had it's Phoenix (I HATE hearing 'Screaming Chicken'). Since Firebird had a mythological creature, I felt the dragon was the only fitting 'being' worth of the name Camaro.

I even had this commercial thought up. heh It showed a horse (Mustang) running across a vast field. Every few seconds something metallic would flash across the screen. On the final 'flash' of metallic scales (you can now tell it's scales in this flash) the screen goes blank and you hear the horse screaming (nothing too horrible, it has to be on tv ya know lol) and some slight sounds of what could be a scuffle. (Hey dragons get hungry and eat mustangs occasionally. hehe)

One more 'flash' and the dragon is 'frozen' in place with the word CAMARO emblazoned in front of it (sideview of the dragon in flight). A highly sylized dragon image integrated with the word Camaro was the symbol I envisioned.

Or some such thing. It was just me with a crazy idea way back when. LOL

Oh, and I'm glad at least SOMEONE agrees with me.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #34
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I'll make my own special edition. Buy one cheap(er) and used, then get to work stiffening up the chassis. Better braking system, all new suspension, massage the engine. Start trimming for weight etc...
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:18 AM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I used to (years ago) have a great idea (well, I thought it was) for the Camaro's 'mascot' to be a dragon. I mean, the Mustang had it's horsie, the Firebird had it's Phoenix (I HATE hearing 'Screaming Chicken'). Since Firebird had a mythological creature, I felt the dragon was the only fitting 'being' worth of the name Camaro.

I even had this commercial thought up. heh It showed a horse (Mustang) running across a vast field. Every few seconds something metallic would flash across the screen. On the final 'flash' of metallic scales (you can now tell it's scales in this flash) the screen goes blank and you hear the horse screaming (nothing too horrible, it has to be on tv ya know lol) and some slight sounds of what could be a scuffle. (Hey dragons get hungry and eat mustangs occasionally. hehe)

One more 'flash' and the dragon is 'frozen' in place with the word CAMARO emblazoned in front of it (sideview of the dragon in flight). A highly sylized dragon image integrated with the word Camaro was the symbol I envisioned.

Or some such thing. It was just me with a crazy idea way back when. LOL

Oh, and I'm glad at least SOMEONE agrees with me.
I'll always agree with someone who thinks like I do... just kidding.

And, I can't quite put my finger on it...but I like that Dragon idea...not sure why I like it so much
Have you ever seen that new Q-motor oil commercial, where the oil-horses are galloping around the Ferrari? I could see some dragons flying around the Camaro in the same way...or, better, continue with your Idea, and instead of staying as an animal - the Dragon fluidly turns into the Car, then your "CAMARO"

That would be freakin Wicked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt
I'll make my own special edition. Buy one cheap(er) and used, then get to work stiffening up the chassis. Better braking system, all new suspension, massage the engine. Start trimming for weight etc...
You won't be the only one with that idea...I love seeing people's truly unique cars. It shows how much they really care about their vehicles.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:27 AM   #36
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Mine may end up being something of a sleeper. I'm not really a fan of wild paint schemes, big chrome wheels, giant wings etc... Fuction over form yields it's own "look" and coolness, IMHO
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #37
Mr. Wyndham

Those are the onesI respect the most. Anything that hints like the owner had rice that night for dinner...I look the other way. I'm petty like that
Old 09-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #38
EllwynX

Quote:
I'll always agree with someone who thinks like I do... just kidding.

And, I can't quite put my finger on it...but I like that Dragon idea...not sure why I like it so much
Have you ever seen that new Q-motor oil commercial, where the oil-horses are galloping around the Ferrari? I could see some dragons flying around the Camaro in the same way...or, better, continue with your Idea, and instead of staying as an animal - the Dragon fluidly turns into the Car, then your "CAMARO"

That would be freakin Wicked!

I actually like the idea of the dragon morphing into a new Camaro at the end even better. Or have it land, turn toward the camera and exhale a huge flameball that, when clear, reveals only a Camaro sitting where the dragon was seconds before.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
...Or have it land, turn toward the camera and exhale a huge flameball that, when clear, reveals only a Camaro sitting where the dragon was seconds before.
^ That's It. GM, are you listening? Free commercial ideas!

Now, to settle on that hood design(paint)...
Old 09-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #40
EllwynX

Quote:
^ That's It. GM, are you listening? Free commercial ideas!

Now, to settle on that hood design(paint)...
LOL The text or Voiceover can say 'Camaro... Eating up the competition.' (ie- the horse<Mustang> it just devoured)
Old 09-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham

What should the challenger be...a "gallant knight"? that get's toasted?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #42
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
What should the challenger be...a "gallant knight"? that get's toasted?
the maiden in distress
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote